New member - here's a question about a youth tagalong - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New member - here's a question about a youth tagalong

I just joined the forum so I could post a couple questions on PA hunting regulations. I tried to put a question in the Youth section of the forum but I don't yet have the credentials to do so.

I've been a hunter since I was a kid growing up in Wyoming and since I've moved to PA, I've mostly just been going out for pheasant season. This school year, we are hosting an exchange student from Italy and she's a great kid and has shown an interest in my hunting endeavors. She's 16 years old and I know it won't really be possible to get her out hunting with me but one thing I did with one of my daughters when she was young is to just bring her along (gunless) with me on a couple pheasant outings. She enjoyed the experience.

I haven't been able to find any regulations pertaining to a youth tagging along on a hunt as someone who is not actively hunting. Of course I would have her suited up properly in orange. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishBrewer View Post
I just joined the forum so I could post a couple questions on PA hunting regulations. I tried to put a question in the Youth section of the forum but I don't yet have the credentials to do so.

I've been a hunter since I was a kid growing up in Wyoming and since I've moved to PA, I've mostly just been going out for pheasant season. This school year, we are hosting an exchange student from Italy and she's a great kid and has shown an interest in my hunting endeavors. She's 16 years old and I know it won't really be possible to get her out hunting with me but one thing I did with one of my daughters when she was young is to just bring her along (gunless) with me on a couple pheasant outings. She enjoyed the experience.

I haven't been able to find any regulations pertaining to a youth tagging along on a hunt as someone who is not actively hunting. Of course I would have her suited up properly in orange. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?
The exchange student can tag along and yes, she should be in orange for safety purposes , Just don't use her for part of the party to flush birds.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM
Sage

something to consider : Mentored Youth

147.803. Application.

(a) Form and content. Applications for mentored hunting permits issued under this subchapter shall be made through the Commission or any of its authorized license-issuing agents on the appropriate form designated by the Commission for this purpose. Each application must include the name, address, telephone number, date of birth, Social Security number of the applicant and any other information required by the Commission.
(b) Eligibility.
(1) Mentored youth hunting permits are available to youth applicants under 12 years of age or 12 years of age or older, but under 17 years of age, who have never held a prior hunting license within this Commonwealth or another state or nation. Mentored youth hunting permits are available to eligible youth applicants under 12 years of age for an unrestricted number of license years. Mentored youth hunting permits are available to eligible junior applicants 12 years of age or older, but under 17 years of age, except when the applicant has previously held a mentored youth permit for a total of 3 license years, including years when under 12 years of age. In these circumstances, an applicable junior hunting license is required.
(2) Mentored adult hunting permits are available to adult applicants 17 years of age or older who have never held a prior hunting license within this Commonwealth or another state or nation. Mentored adult hunting permits are available to eligible adult applicants for a total of 3 license years, including years when under 17 years of age. In these circumstances, an applicable adult hunting license is required.
(c) Minors. Applications may be submitted on behalf of an eligible mentored youth upon presentation of a written request executed by a parent or legally constituted guardian.
(d) Fee.
(1) The fee for a mentored youth hunting permit will be:
(i) $1, plus any applicable transactional and issuing agent fees, for resident and nonresident applicants under 12 years of age. (ii) $5, plus any applicable transactional and issuing agent fees, for resident applicants 12 years of age or older, but under 17 years of age.

A mentored youth may not participate in pheasant hunts but can participate in squirrel rabbit dove coyote dseer and turkey

See page 12 in this years digest for more info

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The exchange student can tag along and yes, she should be in orange for safety purposes , Just don't use her for part of the party to flush birds.
I'm trying to understand the logistics of this. All I have in mind is for her to trail along behind me and if anyone in our group downs a bird, helps to locate it. So, it could happen that she inadvertently scares up a bird and I don't see how that possibility could be entirely eliminated. The question is, would a game warden see it as a violation or not.

I had also thought about the mentored youth thing but she is an exchange student so not a citizen and no SSN. Also, according to the regs, mentored youth doesn't work for pheasant hunting.

Any ideas?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:35 PM

If she is walking behind you, and wearing orange I do not see a problem at all. Don't worry about hypotheticals. Any warden that would have a problem with that should not be on the job.

Enjoy your hunt, and thank you for introducing a young person to the sport.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm trying to understand the logistics of this. All I have in mind is for her to trail along behind me and if anyone in our group downs a bird, helps to locate it. So, it could happen that she inadvertently scares up a bird and I don't see how that possibility could be entirely eliminated. The question is, would a game warden see it as a violation or not.

I had also thought about the mentored youth thing but she is an exchange student so not a citizen and no SSN. Also, according to the regs, mentored youth doesn't work for pheasant hunting.

Any ideas?
Don't read in to what I said something I did not say. Helping to find a downed bird is not attempting to flush birds. You are correct, pheasants are not one of the species involved in mentored hunts. If she is walking behind the hunters no warden is going to see that as hunting, however if she was lined up with the hunters it is a good possibility she would be seen as hunting. Just dress her in the proper amount of orange and let her walk behind you so she can watch what is going on and you will have no problems.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:

Any ideas?
Irish, listen to what Woods walker is saying, you're getting the info from the horses mouth, retired warden.
My son and his wife, girl friend at the time, went through this same situation. Luckily the warden was having a good day, and explained what they were doing wrong, and only gave them a verbal warning.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
Don't read in to what I said something I did not say. Helping to find a downed bird is not attempting to flush birds. You are correct, pheasants are not one of the species involved in mentored hunts. If she is walking behind the hunters no warden is going to see that as hunting, however if she was lined up with the hunters it is a good possibility she would be seen as hunting. Just dress her in the proper amount of orange and let her walk behind you so she can watch what is going on and you will have no problems.
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I just wanted to be crystal clear on what role she would have in the activity so it left nothing in question. I appreciate getting answers from someone with a lot of real world experience rather than someone just guessing. For what it is worth, I did try to do a search through the regs but I was unable to find anything that specifically addressed this situation. Just trying to get it right the first time. Thanks for your help.

I had one other post today about PGC laws. I would appreciate it if you could also chime in on that. See here.

Last edited by IrishBrewer; 11-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound that way. I just wanted to be crystal clear on what role she would have in the activity so it left nothing in question. I appreciate getting answers from someone with a lot of real world experience rather than someone just guessing. For what it is worth, I did try to do a search through the regs but I was unable to find anything that specifically addressed this situation. Just trying to get it right the first time. Thanks for your help.

I had one other post today about PGC laws. I would appreciate it if you could also chime in on that. See here.
I understand you were just trying to make sure you didn't get the young lady into a situation and that is a good thing. I took a look at the safety zone thread that you directed me too. The bottom line is, unless you have advance permission to enter a safety zone from the person who controls it, walking through a safety zone while you are hunting is not legal, even if your firearms are unloaded. If it were legal, hunters could go into safety zones to chase game out to waiting hunters outside the safety zones, and that has happened many times and the hunters who thought they had a way to circumvent the law and were not carrying firearms got a big surprise when they got apprehended because a person called to complain. Safety zone complaints are generally enforced by fresh complaint or by a standing complaint on record that the owner or occupant of a house did not allow anyone to hunt inside their safety zone. The Officers are not out there prosecuting people for being 145 yards away from buildings just to make cases but they do take safety zone complaints seriously because it is a safety issue.You seem to be someone who wants to check legalities before you do something you are not sure about. Taking that tack is smart and I doubt you will be getting in trouble anytime soon.
loridr likes this.

Last edited by Woods walker; 11-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page