New to PA, Never Hunted - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New to PA, Never Hunted

Hi im a Marine stationed here near Pittsburgh but originally from CA (I like PA much better). I want to get into hunting this year for Deer but have no idea what gear to buy..best rifle to get or even where to go hunting or what to do when i decide upon a location..any tips, ways to help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:30 PM
The Man

first ,thank you for your service . secondly welcome t HPA and Pa. as far as gear most is a matter of preference . some guys try state game lands try one near you and mostly ask questions on here and listen to the good advise given on here
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:37 PM

Welcome aboard! Thanks for serving as well. Are you interested in Archery or firearms hunting? There is plenty of public throughout the state, pgc website is a good place to start. You picked a good state to begin your life as a hunter. As far as gear, no need to get over complicated. Warm clothes, binoculars, a knife, a drag rope and a rifle are all you need to get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I am probably going to hunt with a rifle only because im good at that and have never used a bow.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 12:59 PM

Welcome to the site!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 01:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hello and welcome to the club. Thanks for your service! My nephew just got out as a Capt from CA. Maybe someone has room for one more in their camp out that way.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Part of the Community

There is a lot of state game lands near you along with land through the Hunter Access Program. I am about 45 minutes away from Pittsburgh so I can help a little. Read up on the digest on the laws and regulations. If you plan on buying a rifle, you wont be able to use it in Allegheny county.
rcshank85 likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:19 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Welcome and Thank You for your service. Have you ever hunted before? There are a few requirements for first time hunters in Pennsylvania. I am sure your firearms safety is top notch, however first time hunters have to complete a hunters safety program before purchasing a license.

I will prepare and someday my chance will come. - Abraham Lincoln

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:26 PM

Forgot about the hunter safety course. Since your above 16 you can do it online. Maybe someone who knows better than me (WW or RSB) can chime in but I thought active duty military was exempt from this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Plenty of really good deer hunting near Pittsburgh. However, the closer you are to the city the more crowded the public land hunting opportunities will be. Not sure what area of Pittsburgh you are in, but I know that there is public game lands north of the city in Wexford area, also hunting is permitted at Hillman State Park, and portions of Raccoon State Park. Also some game lands in Washington Co. within a short drive. I'm originally from West/South Hills of Pittsburgh so those are the areas that I am most familiar with. As others have stated, the Hunter Access Program is good also. They're private lands, and you do need to get permission from the land owner, but they've generally entered into an agreement with the game commission to allow some form of public hunting access. They'll generally be less crowded in my experience.

Hunters Ed. Class is your first step. Like I said, I'm from Pittsburgh originally so feel free to send me a private message if you need any more detailed information.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page