Moving to PA-Philly - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Moving to PA-Philly

Hey y'all, I am looking at moving to the Philly area in he next few months and wanted to see how the hunting was up your way. I am born and raised in GA my whole life and work is taking me up to you all's great state. I look forward to meeting new hunting buddies and getting to learn the terrain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 PM

Welcome to Pa Hunting! Welcome to Pa, OK Philly is not exactly Pa but it's close!
bohunr, steelhead125 and Laylow like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunting in the southeast is tough with the populace unless you can get in with some landowners. The state as a whole offers lots of good public hunting opportunities but by no means is it easy. More populated (including in the southeast) have a higher proportion of record book bucks because property sizes are smaller and thus the residential areas aren't hunted with guns, and generally populated by snow flakes. There can be some truly remarkable hunting in the suburbs if you're in to that and can get some connections. The western half seems to have a better buck hunting and more open-to-hunting landowner but less public land. Some western areas have been hit with EHD recently. The northern tier has more public land but less deer. In between is generally in between and there's now CWD in the central/southcentral parts of the state.

Rifle hunting anywhere is nightmare, but that can work in your favor if you know what you're doing. Archery pressure is generally reasonable, except public lands in the southeast, in my experience.

Welcome to the community and I hope you enjoy all the opportunities his state has to offer.
bohunr and flintlock hunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Curious on whereabouts your moving to? Like others have said, the SE part of the state gets a lot of pressure. If you can find some private land to hunt you will most likely find some deer.
bohunr likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyshad View Post
Hunting in the southeast is tough with the populace unless you can get in with some landowners. The state as a whole offers lots of good public hunting opportunities but by no means is it easy. More populated (including in the southeast) have a higher proportion of record book bucks because property sizes are smaller and thus the residential areas aren't hunted with guns, and generally populated by snow flakes. There can be some truly remarkable hunting in the suburbs if you're in to that and can get some connections. The western half seems to have a better buck hunting and more open-to-hunting landowner but less public land. Some western areas have been hit with EHD recently. The northern tier has more public land but less deer. In between is generally in between and there's now CWD in the central/southcentral parts of the state.

Rifle hunting anywhere is nightmare, but that can work in your favor if you know what you're doing. Archery pressure is generally reasonable, except public lands in the southeast, in my experience.

Welcome to the community and I hope you enjoy all the opportunities his state has to offer.

Exactly what you said. I'd avoid moving into the city if possible. And S.E. part of the state doesn't allow rifles(special regulations area)
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Welcome to the site...
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 AM

Welcome to the site! I grew up just outside of Philly and would hunt pheasants after school and archery hunt some great spots. That was a few (maybe more) years ago, fast forward to today and hunting in that part of the state is pretty much non-existent unless you can find a small patch of private property and that is pushing it. You would need to drive at least an hour to get into any public land hunting and everyone is doing the same. Most people hunt around Lake Nockamixon and during archery season you can be successful if you put in the time. I've hunted just about every patch of woods from NE Philly airport to behind Washington HS, Neshaminy HS to New Hope but like I said that was a few years ago. My nephews live in NE Philly and I grew up in Bucks County and every time I'm home I see a lot of deer and turkeys but finding a spot to hunt is difficult. I can remember hunting behind Strick Trailers in Fairless Hills in the early 70's and had a blast. Feel free to PM me with any questions, I know that area pretty well and my nephews know it like the back of their hands.
bohunr likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 AM

why Philly ? thats a Democrat controlled crime infested area !!

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Philly....
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:24 AM
Part of the Community

Don't be scared of Philly there's crime everywhere... Welcome aboard and good luck with the hunting.

keepin' it reel...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page