4Likes
  • 2 Post By limbhnger10
  • 1 Post By Woods walker
  • 1 Post By Woods walker

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Saturday Opener

Hunters wrote to the PGC concerning the Saturday opener, over 1452 letters were received and 81% were against changing the opener. The PGC 2017 survey of hunters came back 65% against changing the opener.

So the PGC went against a significant majority as determined by its own survey and input from hunters. We all know why license sales are down 300k. It's because of the PGC and Gary Alt's decimation of the deer herd north of I-80. Try muzzleloader hunting in the late season on one of the northern game lands when there's snow on the ground. You'll be lucky to cut 2 or 3 tracks.

This move will not have a positive impact on license sales. In fact, it may just do the opposite. How many Saturdays are there from October thru the end of small game in February for guys to take their kids hunting? But the PGC just had to kill a 65 year tradition with some gimmick in the hopes their flagging licenses sale will improve. It's not going to happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:28 PM
The Man

LOL.....

..this poor horse.
Tony300wby and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Banned

The above is nothing but hogwash for everything beyond this statement"the PGC went against a significant majority as determined by its own survey and input from hunters". The herd was not decimated, do you even know what that word means? I mean what it really means, not the meaning people use when they want to indicate that something was all but wiped out. The deer herd was too large, it was too large for decades and the habitat was being destroyed which affected all wildlife, not just the deer. In some places the deer were hit harder than others, that was by design because those were the places that need the most relief, How would you explain the deer kill reports for the past several years if the deer were mostly killed? You can't! The habitat is rebounding as was anticipated and expected by anyone who knows anything about balancing the deer numbers with the habitat, I started deer hunting in 1958 and it is by far the best time to hunt deer in PA that I and many others have ever seen. It is time to put the ole" the PGC has decimated the deer herd and that is why license sales are dropping" because it is bogus and makes those saying it seem a bit silly. In fact the numbers have slightly gone up in the last several years. Our numbers of license sales is falling less than other states. BTW, I was one of those writing letters and speaking against a Saturday opener.
USAFRET likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
The above is nothing but hogwash for everything beyond this statement"the PGC went against a significant majority as determined by its own survey and input from hunters". The herd was not decimated, do you even know what that word means? I mean what it really means, not the meaning people use when they want to indicate that something was all but wiped out. The deer herd was too large, it was too large for decades and the habitat was being destroyed which affected all wildlife, not just the deer. In some places the deer were hit harder than others, that was by design because those were the places that need the most relief, How would you explain the deer kill reports for the past several years if the deer were mostly killed? You can't! The habitat is rebounding as was anticipated and expected by anyone who knows anything about balancing the deer numbers with the habitat, I started deer hunting in 1958 and it is by far the best time to hunt deer in PA that I and many others have ever seen. It is time to put the ole" the PGC has decimated the deer herd and that is why license sales are dropping" because it is bogus and makes those saying it seem a bit silly. In fact the numbers have slightly gone up in the last several years. Our numbers of license sales is falling less than other states. BTW, I was one of those writing letters and speaking against a Saturday opener.
Yes, I'm well aware of what the words decimated means. If you want to be snotty, I'll put my vocabulary against yours anytime. Decimated means when you go from seeing 25-30 deer on opening day to 0-2. What word would you use to define that? Why is this the best time to hunt? So you can hunt on some private ground and shoot some bigger bucks were a limited number of people have access? Do you hunt public property? I've been hunting for 45 years pal and where you used to see parking lots full on opening day, you might see 1-4 vehicles. How do you explain that? Guys have quit because the deer aren't there like they were before 'if its brown its down'. That's solely the reason for the drop in license sales. It has nothing to do with kids' school activities or video games or any of the other junk people want to put there. And moving to a Saturday opener will do nothing to stop the drain. I believe it will have the exact opposite effect. I guess we'll see. I know one less license they'll be selling.

The Saturday opener will be the last nail for a lot of the guys with camps from up above I-80. Mark my word.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosaturdayopener View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of what the words decimated means. If you want to be snotty, I'll put my vocabulary against yours anytime. Decimated means when you go from seeing 25-30 deer on opening day to 0-2. What word would you use to define that? Why is this the best time to hunt? So you can hunt on some private ground and shoot some bigger bucks were a limited number of people have access? Do you hunt public property? I've been hunting for 45 years pal and where you used to see parking lots full on opening day, you might see 1-4 vehicles. How do you explain that? Guys have quit because the deer aren't there like they were before 'if its brown its down'. That's solely the reason for the drop in license sales. It has nothing to do with kids' school activities or video games or any of the other junk people want to put there. And moving to a Saturday opener will do nothing to stop the drain. I believe it will have the exact opposite effect. I guess we'll see. I know one less license they'll be selling.

The Saturday opener will be the last nail for a lot of the guys with camps from up above I-80. Mark my word.
Poor hunter

Good luck, Tony
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

You fail again, decimated means one out of ten, stemming from when the Roman commanders punished their legions by killing one out of every ten soldiers when their legion was not doing what they were supposed to do. What word do I use for seeing 2 deer on opening day, probably myopic! Or more than likely hunting in the wrong place. In addition, writing in huge red letters , shouting in computer language, simply makes you wrong in larger letters. You could make your letters and words six inches high and you would still be wrong! If you don't buy a license, it will be your loss, no one else's. The problem is, many people, I suspect you are one of them, got so use to going out to a usual spot and sitting down and shooting a deer when we had way too many deer. Once it became a little more of a hunt instead of a shoot, those people got angry because they actually had to hunt. Enjoy what ever else you will be doing. While I was opposed to a Saturday opener, and still am,I will be hunting on the opening day because I am not knuckle headed enough to cut off my nose to spite my face
bigguy54 likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods walker View Post
You fail again, decimated means one out of ten, stemming from when the Roman commanders punished their legions by killing one out of every ten soldiers when their legion was not doing what they were supposed to do. What word do I use for seeing 2 deer on opening day, probably myopic! Or more than likely hunting in the wrong place. In addition, writing in huge red letters , shouting in computer language, simply makes you wrong in larger letters. You could make your letters and words six inches high and you would still be wrong! If you don't buy a license, it will be your loss, no one else's. The problem is, many people, I suspect you are one of them, got so use to going out to a usual spot and sitting down and shooting a deer when we had way too many deer. Once it became a little more of a hunt instead of a shoot, those people got angry because they actually had to hunt. Enjoy what ever else you will be doing. While I was opposed to a Saturday opener, and still am,I will be hunting on the opening day because I am not knuckle headed enough to cut off my nose to spite my face
Ah, that wasn't my post with the big red letters. Big get better glasses so you can count those points.

Well, I'm glad you agree me about Saturday hunting. Too bad you don't have the gumption to try do do anything about it but sit back and take it.

BTW - I killed 2 deer last year not that it matters. Eating some tonight as a matter of fact. And no, I still hunt and don't sit on a stump or in a tree stand all day.

You didn't answer my question about whether you hunt public ground. Or maybe you did with your lack of an answer. You didn't address my question as to what your thoughts are as to the lack of vehicles in the Game Land on opening day either in comparison to years ago. You just throw out some half baked judgments about me when you haven't a clue as to who I am. Oh and as for your decimated explanation, I think my 25-30 down to 0-2 comes pretty close to that ratio.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ah, that wasn't my post with the big red letters. Big get better glasses so you can count those points.

Well, I'm glad you agree me about Saturday hunting. Too bad you don't have the gumption to try do do anything about it but sit back and take it.

BTW - I killed 2 deer last year not that it matters. Eating some tonight as a matter of fact. And no, I still hunt and don't sit on a stump or in a tree stand all day.

You didn't answer my question about whether you hunt public ground. Or maybe you did with your lack of an answer. You didn't address my question as to what your thoughts are as to the lack of vehicles in the Game Land on opening day either in comparison to years ago. You just throw out some half baked judgments about me when you haven't a clue as to who I am. Oh and as for your decimated explanation, I think my 25-30 down to 0-2 comes pretty close to that ratio.
I have have more than a clue about who you are, you told us. The reduction of vehicles in game lands parking lot is simply a sign of the times where people have found other things to do other than hunting. I probably noticed it long before you did because I was on game lands every day of the deer season. The recruitment of young hunters is stymied by the availability of other thing to do where they do not have to get up before daylight, they don't have to get cold or wet and it is a sign of the times, it is a fact of life that cannot be stopped, if they do not catch the hunting bug from a parent or relative it is doubtful if they will be a hunter, there are much easier things to do. It is not the fault of the PGC, they do not raise the kids. In addition, the number has been dropping long before HR or AR. I hunted public land for most of my life, I now hunt family land, not mine but my wife's family and I did very well on public land, Game lands. I do not have a camp or go to camp but I am very aware how the Saturday opener will affect my friends who have camps. You gave me a very good clue about who you are with your very first post, if anything was half baked it was the post. I suspect if you spent as much energy into hunting as you do in complaining you may not have a problem. But since you are not going to buy a license, that point is moot. So far as the big red letter go, yes they were your words, another poster enlarged the letters and made them red to make a point so I will rescind the comments about the big red letters.

Last edited by Woods walker; 04-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Knock it off.

If I need to elaborate, I will, but I shouldn't have to.

Just stop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page