Hard choices ahead - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hard choices ahead

My daughter sent me the link below that describes how difficult it will be to fix this coronovirus problem. I saw an article on this that claims most experts believe this study is correct and it is being used to develop policy.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

My reply to my daughters is posted below. It sums up my thoughts on this current mess. I think as hunters we understand the laws of nature better than most.

Ladies,

Trump saw this a couple of days ago and really stepped up the isolation, etc. I think it is a temporary fix and in the long run this is the new normal.

There are two laws of nature that interact and conflict. One is the desire to reproduce to sustain the specie. The second is too reduce the population when it gets too big. The result is a healthy population within the high and low limits. There are a few ways that population is controlled naturally such as starvation, war and plague. We can control starvation for a while by increasing production using artificial fertilizers, genetically modified seeds, insecticides and radical farming techniques. That has worked well so far but is coming to an end eventually. We seem to be more successful at minimizing war lately but who knows how long that will last. One huge warlike threat is cyber warfare and one strike that shuts downs our power grid would be devastating.

That leaves plague.

I think we are losing that one. Health care advances have contributed to increases in population. Antibiotics have improved health but the bugs are getting close to being out of control. Population densities are a big problem and that is getting a lot worse as people congregate in the cities. We are now incredibly mobile and any virus that is released in China can be active in every country in the world in less than a month. It may be possible to control it with a vaccine but they take a year or more to create and distribute and by then there will be another virus.

The long term solution is to reduce the population by more than half and to return to a more decentralized population centered on self sustaining and somewhat isolated small towns. This would result in a more even population that is smaller but healthy and stable. Health care would be limited to keeping people comfortable and productive instead of using incredibly expensive surgery to extend a no longer productive citizen (think esophagus surgery on an old retired guy).

How we get the population down is our problem. We can choose to do it in an orderly manner like limiting families to one child and minimizing health care as described above. We definitely need to stop uncontrolled immigration. If we had stopped all immigration 50 years ago our population in the US would be 200 million and dropping instead of 330 and climbing. Tougher measures such as sterilization of women that have had their one child might be required. I know, Dad going nuts but I was raised by some tough German farmers that understood that life is not the bowl of cherries we have been enjoying lately.

So as you know, I have several pictures of our old German farm hanging on the walls and think every day that we will return to that life style eventually whether we want to or not. I jumped the gun a bit and have a farm that is not at all like our old one but could be converted easily into one that supports the future life style I think we all are heading for. The incredible number of changes that have been made to the globalization and relocation of the world since I lived there have proven to be a mistake in my opinion. They will be reversed whether we like it or not.

I will finish with one more rule of nature- survival goes to the fittest (or smartest). I think you all will do just fine.

Last edited by rockyDD; 03-19-2020 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Frequent Contributor

Is your name Dwight Shrute ?
Deuce280 likes this.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 07:47 PM

parts of that sound like China or Nazi Germany. dictating who lives or dies. total control of our lives. the rest of it makes better sense.
Danesdad likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:11 PM
The Man

Not what I'd tell my daughters....not at all what I'd tell my daughters.
limbhnger10 likes this.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:21 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
Not what I'd tell my daughters....not at all what I'd tell my daughters.
Agreed.

Find POSITIVE things to share with your kids.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I did not raise my kids to be snowflakes. They all live in cities and question the wisdom of that life style and how long it can be sustained. Bohunr, that was an interesting comment about nazis. Hitler started ww2 to get more lebehsraum or.living room for the germans which is what a lot of wars are started over. I never said anything about killing people because of race or religion..
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-19-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyDD View Post
I did not raise my kids to be snowflakes. They all live in cities and question the wisdom of that life style and how long it can be sustained. Bohunr, that was an interesting comment about nazis. Hitler started ww2 to get more lebehsraum or.living room for the germans which is what a lot of wars are started over. I never said anything about killing people because of race or religion..

sorry didnt mean to imply you did. i made that comment based on this part of what you said:

Quote:
The long term solution is to reduce the population by more than half and to return to a more decentralized population centered on self sustaining and somewhat isolated small towns. This would result in a more even population that is smaller but healthy and stable. Health care would be limited to keeping people comfortable and productive instead of using incredibly expensive surgery to extend a no longer productive citizen (think esophagus surgery on an old retired guy).

How we get the population down is our problem. We can choose to do it in an orderly manner like limiting families to one child and minimizing health care as described above. We definitely need to stop uncontrolled immigration. If we had stopped all immigration 50 years ago our population in the US would be 200 million and dropping instead of 330 and climbing. Tougher measures such as sterilization of women that have had their one child might be required.

made it sound like the obamacare death panels

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr View Post

made it sound like the obamacare death panels
So now I am Obama and not Hitler. I guess that's an improvement but not by much.

The topic of my thread is the hard choices that must be made if we accept that we must keep our population under control to avoid future plagues and other disastrous events. I put out several alternatives like immigration changes and lowering the birth rate that would be my first choices. Deportation should be on the list. My last choice would be death panels and I don't think we have to go that far. Voluntary euthanasia is a better alternative and should be legalized everywhere. It should be supported by the religious and medical community but decided on by the individual and their family.

From my own experience, I believe some people choose to get expensive, life extending procedures that they come to regret. My mother had liver cancer and had an operation at 90 that extended her life to 92. It was two years of misery and she admitted it was a mistake. Her doctor had some new equipment he wanted to try out and talked her into doing it. We don't need that.

I do believe that if some steps are not taken, we will eventually we subjected it an indiscriminate, large scale reduction of the population caused by some very unpleasant event. We here all the time that we must control the deep population to prevent periodic large scale die offs when food runs out and diseases are more common. The same rule applies to humans.

The article below illustrates how nature takes the decision of what to do with old people out of our hands.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...ealth-service/
bohunr likes this.

Last edited by rockyDD; 03-20-2020 at 04:59 AM.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:12 AM

never said you were hitler or obama
rockyDD likes this.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-20-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage

But some of your ideas sound like something Hitler might approve of. Sterilization of women? Seriously?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page