New Water Impact fee - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

New Water Impact fee

A lot of the municipalities in PA are now seeking to impose a new water impact fee supposedly federally mandated to help clean up the Chesapeake Bay... An average homeowner with an acre of land and a small rancher will be taxed at a rate which will impose a 2000 dollar annual tax bill just to clean up the BAY... I thought the Bay was cleaned up 20 years ago all the oysters and crabs and fish are doing well... How are the elderly homeowners going to keep their homes when they are hit with another tax as high as their property taxes and school taxes???Just another tax to wipe out the middle class... Have any of you farmers on here calculated your tax bill yet???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Where did you get your information ?? I couldn`t find any info.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 01:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah I'm curious where they're charging $2000/yr for a homeowner. I'm a stormwater engineer and just had a client contact me that his company was being charged $5000/yr for a commercial property with almost 5 acres of impervious area. These fees are usually based on the impervious area on the property, not property size. And most of what I've seen residential owners are looking at between $50-$200/yr.

The fees are not federally mandated, but municipalities are required to participate in the MS4 program which is federally mandated in a roundabout way. They basically must map all of their stormwater outfalls and BMPs (like detention basins) and then prove that they are meeting water quality goals. The Chesapeake Bay issues have exacerbated the requirements and stormwater is under more scrutiny. Therefore, municipalities are starting to have to undergo stormwater projects (lots of riparian/stream corridor projects) to improve water quality and are also being held accountable for maintenance of stormwater BMPs and conveyance systems. Street sweeping is a very common BMP for municipalties. All of these things cost money, lots of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 03:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Lower Paxton Township, Dauphin County. Residents of single family residential parcels are being assessed $32 per quarter based upon the square feet of impervious surface area. The contractor resumed work yesterday on several streets east of Linglestown and by October 2021 all work will be completed. My home received a new sewer/water installation last fall.

BobB
WMU2F
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think my father made a mistake on the 2000 dollar fee you guys may be correct
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage

I hope this only applies to municipalities in the Susquehanna watershed.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 10:48 AM
The Man

A couple of municipalities around me recently implemented the fee...$10-$20/month for the average 1/5 acre lot. What a PIA for those homeowners. For many elderly and others on fixed incomes, that $20 really hurts their discretionary income. For some it may be most of their monthly discretionary income.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are putting burdens on the elderly who are already paying a lot of their income for prescriptions...The Bay was cleaned up 20 years ago it has plenty of fish,crabs and oysters.. It is just another strongarm tactic to force the elderly out of their homes they spent their lives paying for...If fertilizer is causing problems with runoff to the bay then outlaw all fertilizer for homeowners and allow the farmers to still use it...Homeowners probably put more fertilizer into runoff then all the farms do...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad View Post
I hope this only applies to municipalities in the Susquehanna watershed.
It is a statewide mandate that has statewide implications...coming soon to a municipality near you!https://www.foxrothschild.com/public...-pennsylvania/
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

How is the money collected to be used?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page