Trump Sold Rice To China? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Trump Sold Rice To China?

red.jpg

There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

GLAUBER: The U.S., actually, during the last couple of months of the Obama administration took China to the WTO to the settlement body and said, hey, China's not playing by the rules. They're not importing rice.

HERSHIPS: The World Trade Organization has its own kind of court, the Dispute Settlement Body. It lets countries which are upset with other countries about tariffs and import licenses try to work things out.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:40 PM
The Man

China is the world’s number 1 importer of rice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 06:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbert View Post
China is the world’s number 1 importer of rice.
And pirated American intellectual property!
Muzz, coyotejohn, bohunr and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:03 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
And pirated American intellectual property!
That too.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:06 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
GLAUBER: The U.S., actually, during the last couple of months of the Obama administration took China to the WTO to the settlement body and said, hey, China's not playing by the rules. They're not importing rice.

HERSHIPS: The World Trade Organization has its own kind of court, the Dispute Settlement Body. It lets countries which are upset with other countries about tariffs and import licenses try to work things out.

Please explain the point of your post bucksnort, are you trying to say it was Obama that facilitated this trade? Not what I found. According to Reuters, Trump is responsible. In particular, see last paragraph in bold (bold by me).

Quote:
BEIJING (Reuters) - China has opened the door to imports of rice from the United States for the first time ever in what analysts took to signal a warming of relations between the world’s two biggest economies after a frosty year marked by tensions and tit-for-tat tariffs.

The green light from Chinese customs, indicated in a statement posted on the customs authority’s website on Friday, comes in the run-up to talks between the countries in January after U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed to a moratorium on higher tariffs that would affect trade worth hundred of billions of dollars.

It was not immediately clear how much rice China, which sources rice imports from within Asia, might seek to buy from the United States. But the move, which comes after years of talks on the matter, follows pledges from China’s commerce ministry of further U.S. trade openings earlier this week.

“I wouldn’t be surprised to see importers trying to move rice into China from California but I don’t know if it will be in breathtaking quantities right away,” said Stuart Hoetger, an analyst and physical rice trader based in California.
As of Dec. 27, imports of brown rice, polished rice and crushed rice from the United States are now permitted, as long as cargoes meet China’s inspection standards and are registered with the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The USDA on Dec. 11 forecast U.S. rice production at 6.93 million tonnes while Chinese rice imports were estimated at 5 million tonnes. Rice makes up only a small portion of U.S. agricultural exports, which are dominated by shipments of soybeans, grain, tree nuts and meat.

U.S. rice futures had little reaction to the announcement, declining by 7 cents to $10.06 per cwt.
“The permission for U.S. rice suggests an improving U.S. and China relationship,” said Cherry Zhang, an agriculture analyst with consultancy JCI. Zhang said she expected any imports would likely be ordered by state-owned companies.

Officials at a government-affiliated think tank in Beijing said the price of U.S. rice was not competitive, compared with imports from South Asia, and said the move to formally permit imports from the United States should be interpreted as a goodwill gesture.

China opened its rice market when it joined the World Trade Organization in 2001, but a lack of phytosanitary protocol between China and the United States effectively banned imports, according to trade group USA Rice.
Nonetheless, in July China formally imposed additional tariffs of 25 percent on U.S. rice, even though imports were not permitted at the time.

Reporting by Meng Meng and Ryan Woo; additional reporting by Michael Hirtzer in Chicago; Editing by Kenneth Maxwell

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridr View Post
Please explain the point of your post bucksnort, are you trying to say it was Obama that facilitated this trade? Not what I found. According to Reuters, Trump is responsible. In particular, see last paragraph in bold (bold by me).
President Obama had filled the complaint with the WTO they were not playing by the rules and it went thru the WTO to make them comply.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnort1 View Post
President Obama had filled the complaint with the WTO they were not playing by the rules and it went thru the WTO to make them comply.

Never the less, Trump negotiated actual trade in rice with China in 2018 per article I posted.
pappybear, .257 and simoncool like this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 08:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I voted for Trump on his known pro-phytosanitary stance...I knew he'd get things squared up in that department!
DIYASUB, loridr, pappybear and 4 others like this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I voted for Trump on his known pro-phytosanitary stance...I knew he'd get things squared up in that department!

Yep, his pro-phytosanitary stance is excellent, very excellent. Certainly the best pro-phytosanitary stance in history! Perfect, perfectly perfect!
DIYASUB, .257 and simoncool like this.

Last edited by loridr; 01-21-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page