Phillies sign AJ Burnett - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Phillies sign AJ Burnett

...........Phillies sign A.J. Burnett with Cole Hamels on shelf

By David Brown | Big League Stew Ė 3 hours ago

Not long after word came that left-hander Cole Hamels won't start the season on time because of a shoulder injury, reporter Jim Salisbury of CSN Philly said the Philadelphia Phillies had signed right-hander A.J. Burnett to a one-year contract.

The deal is worth $16 million, and it was first reported by Hayden Balgavy of KTHV-TV in Little Rock, Ark., Burnett's home town. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports later confirmed the money.

Burnett, who just turned 37, finished 2013 with a 3.30 ERA ans 209 strikeouts in 191 innings with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He's made 370 starts in his 15-season career. Burnett's getting older, but his hit rate continues to drop, and his strikeout rate was the highest of his career in 2013.

The Phillies landing Burnett puts an official end to a seemingly awkward offseason for Burnett in which he reportedly expressed a desire to retire if he didn't return to the Pirates ó before apparently changing his mind.

In 2013, he helped lead the Bucs to the playoffs for the first time since 1992 and was intrical in fomenting a new attitude. Burnett spent the past two seasons in Pittsburgh after signing an $82.5 million deal with the Yankees before the 2009 season.

The Bucs are a lot stronger than they used to be, but Burnett's loss will be tough to handle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">It certainly will be irritating, losing him to their dreaded in-state rivals. </span>

At least the Phillies are in a different division ó and at least the Pirates will have Gerrit Cole all season this time.

The Phillies continue to make moves like a team that thinks it will content in the NL East, even though they lost 89 games a season ago and 81 the season before. They've also added Marlon Byrd (another big part, down the stretch and into the playoffs, for the Bucs in 2013), and they brought back Bobby Abreu, another former Phillies player, after he sat out the 2013 season. He's about to turn 40, but should help in part-time duty.

Burnett is a good signing for the Phillies, even if they don't contend all season. His salary is not a bargain, but it's affordable and his contract is tradable. The news with Hamels is alarming, though, for the short and long term.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Somebody tell this guy the Phillies and Pirates have not been dreaded rivals since 1996. They only play each other 6 times a season.</span>

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Phillies sign AJ Burnett

They're looking to compete in the Senior games this year?

Tea parties are for little girls with imaginary friends.
W. was awful, BO is even worse.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hammer
They're looking to compete in the Senior games this year?
They get big discounts at the "early bird specials" when they show their AARP cards.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 AM

I don't exactly think of the Phillies as "rivals" of the Pirates. Personally, I hate St. Louis and Cincinatti a lot more.

I think this just shows that it is business as usual in Pittsburgh. In baseball, if you want to run with the big dogs, you gotta spend some money. Now, if the Pirates go out and sign a real first baseman or a right fielder, I can accept them letting Burnett go. But, I'll bet they don't, or if they do it'll be a bargain basemant guy. Nutting is a penny ante operator. Nothing more.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 01:58 AM

As far as Philly goes, I think it was a good move. They recognize that they need someone to take up the slack while Hamels mends, and they went out and did something about it. Plus, even if Burnett falls on his face, it's only a one year contract. I don't know much about them and why they don't win more, but this move shows it isn't about tight purse strings...the very thing that dooms the Pirates year in and year out.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 02:29 AM
The Man

This never would have happened if they would have started him instead of Cole no matter how that outcome would have been.They are makin excuses on why they think they are set at first with G/Sanchez.You got to be kiddin me.This year ain,t gonna be pretty and they are playin a bad hand of cards with their fans who will not stand for them goin back to their old ways.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
As far as Philly goes, I don't know much about them and why they don't win more
The Phillies don't win more because they are old. Howard is plagued with injuries, can't hit the curve, swings at a lot of junk, can't hit in the clutch and at this point in his career he is an overpaid albatross. Utley is old and injured a lot. Rollins is old and only concerned with his own stats and leads the NL in pop ups. Ruiz is old and needs "the juice" to perform well.
Halladay was broken down and had to retire. Their CF suffered a broken ankle last year and was done for the season. Their other young players with the exception of Dominic Brown are just not that good.
Their bullpen is mediocre at best. Whew!

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 12:33 AM
hap

And Dominic Brown's a Cowboys Fan,by definition mentally deficient.

5C,5D,3C.
NRA.Part time scientist.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:36 AM
The Man

The price to pay for "going for another world series". I think itll be a long season and utley finally gets traded at the deadline.
Maybe....just maybe, these old guys have a career yr and have a season like 93....doubtful, but maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
As far as Philly goes, I don't know much about them and why they don't win more
The Phillies don't win more because they are old. Howard is plagued with injuries, can't hit the curve, swings at a lot of junk, can't hit in the clutch and at this point in his career he is an overpaid albatross. Utley is old and injured a lot. Rollins is old and only concerned with his own stats and leads the NL in pop ups. Ruiz is old and needs "the juice" to perform well.
Halladay was broken down and had to retire. Their CF suffered a broken ankle last year and was done for the season. Their other young players with the exception of Dominic Brown are just not that good.
Their bullpen is mediocre at best. Whew!

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 04:35 PM

Well, AJ is 37, so he'll fit in the clubhouse.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page