Bettis snubbed by HOF again - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Bettis snubbed by HOF again

I can't believe he hasn't gotten in yet.....

He is #6 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TD's.......of course Marshall Faulk got in before him, and he is lower in both of those categories....

And he is the only one in the top 15 in rushing who is eligible that has not gotten in.......

The HOF is a complete joke these days.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 03:34 AM

Re: Bettis snubbed by HOF again

If he was a druggie, wife beater, rapist or a gun toting thug he would have made it first time.....for sure.
His time will come and the "Bus" will roll into Canton.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822

He is #6 in rushing yards, and #10 in rushing TD's.......of course Marshall Faulk got in before him, and he is lower in both of those categories....

And he is the only one in the top 15 in rushing who is eligible that has not gotten in.......

While Bettis should probably be in the HOF, trying to justify it by comparing him to Faulk is just crazy. Bettis was not even close to the caliber of player Faulk was. Instead, Faulk's 136 TDs and 19154 yds makes Bettis's 94 TDs and 15011 yards unworthy numbers for the HOF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Marvin Harrison didn't get in as well.

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:32 PM
The Man

Bettis should be in the HOF by now. He wasn't flashy but for his size I have never seen a running back with better feet. The man was a wrecking ball ! Bettis beat the crap out of opposing defenses week in and week out and if the Steelers had a lead in the 4th quarter....forget about it.
No one in in the NFL was better at recieving and dishing out punishment at the same time than Bettis. Hope he gets in next year.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySS
Quote:

While Bettis should probably be in the HOF, trying to justify it by comparing him to Faulk is just crazy. Bettis was not even close to the caliber of player Faulk was. Instead, Faulk's 136 TDs and 19154 yds makes Bettis's 94 TDs and 15011 yards unworthy numbers for the HOF.
8000 of those are receiving yards........and 36 of the TD's are receiving TD's, I'm talking pure rushing stats......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM

bettis avg. under 4 ypc for his career.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySS
Quote:

8000 of those are receiving yards........and 36 of the TD's are receiving TD's, I'm talking pure rushing stats......
The comparison of Bettis and Faulk is irrelevant. In reality they played two different positions. Faulk had a great career as a multi-purpose back, he'd even line up in the slot, in a pass-oriented offense that played indoors.

Using Bettis' career yards-per-carry as a measuring stick is also useless. While Bettis could move and was pretty elusive for a larger man, he was mainly a "bang it" back.

For his role in Pittsburgh, on a team that was absolutely built around it's defense, his contribution is HOF worthy.

Lynn Swann never had big stats. He made a big difference.

The Steelers were in many games where it was about grind it out, run the clock, and just let that relentless defense control the game. A ten-point lead with some of those defenses and then the entire world knew they were going to just pound it and try to shorten the game, and Bettis was still productive to a degree.

Faulk would not have been nearly as productive in that situation. Bettis would not have fared too well if he had to line up in the slot a lot. Each player excelled in their situation and were major contributors to successful teams.

And in that regard, does anyone think that in the comparison of the Faulk Rams to the Bettis Steelers over that time period were the Rams the better team? I think not. Bettis did his role within his team as Marshall did his.

Jerome should be in when you look at it as what he meant to the team during his time.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:45 PM

There is no doubt that Bettis should be in but Faulk and Curtis Martin both deserved to be in before him.

I don't know that Andre Reed should get in over Marvin Harrison (1102 Rec. 14,580 Yds, 128 TDs) and I certainly don't think Reed should be in before Bettis.

Don't get me wrong Reed was good but compared to Harison and Bettis no way.

We should look at it this way, at least it isn't as messed up as the MLB HoF.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM

I could go either way, but I do think Bettis will end up in someday.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page