Does anybody see hope ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Does anybody see hope ?

Hope for the Steeler organization in the immediate future. To qualify, immediate being next 5 years or so. Im not really a sky is falling kind of guy, but the current state of the organization I would consider to be disarray. Simply break down the positional needs on the field. There is not an area that isn't in trouble need-wise. Even at QB, and as much as Ben does on his own running for his life, he is long in the tooth and a replacement needs to be groomed.... and not Landry Jones. Both the offensive and defensive lines are a hot mess. Missed draft picks in the top few rounds the culprit. Linebacking corp, shakey at best. D-backs... OLD and in need of total replacement in the next... well actually, NOW. Running back was a merry-go-round yet again. Bell may be a solution, but he will have to wait until a line is built. How long will he wait ? Then we see a WR, Calvin Johnson go up in the air to snatch balls to the tune of over 300 yards on Sunday, and we look at our WR corp and see the diminutive Brown and Sanders. And as good as Heath Miller has been over the years, the severe knee, coupled with his aging body, spells a need for replacement very soon. Who do we have to step up at TE ? Nobody.

The Coach
Tomlin I believe is lost. I NEVER thought he was a "brilliant" coaching mind. From the get go, when he spoke, I had him pegged as a cliche' filled dummy that will be exposed for the goof that he was sooner than later. And yes, he did get to 2 superbowls with vet players that had little to do with his talent evaluation. The mantra in the burgh is that he won with Cowher's players, well, HE DID. I'll give him a small hint of credit for actually holding things together enough to get to the big game, but I also believe it was more Arian's and Lebeau than Tomlin that got em there.

OC and DC
Both Lebeau and Haley will be out after this year. Lebeau will realize he is too old to go through a defensive building process, and Haley will be ousted, not of his own volition. That will require new scheme's which take time to learn, instill, and perefect.

This organization had a heck of a run since Cowher took over til now. There were some bumps along the way, but nothing that couldn't be resolved the next season or two. But currently, things look dire, and no, I'm not talking this season, I mean many upcoming seasons. We are more than likely staring at an organization that will drift back to the 80's Steeler football that we not so fondly remember.

Other than that. LET'S GO STEELER'S.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:16 PM

Re: Does anybody see hope ?

If I had to pin it down to one thing, I'd say that the organization has lost the ability to evaluate talent and draft. Of course, I'm spoiled by the fact that we were used to Steeler fourth round draft picks making the pro bowl and first rounders winding up in the HOF. I can accept the fact that this would no longer be the case. But your first and second rounders have to be solid starters that are better than at least half of the players at their positions across the league. Since Tomlin took over (and I'm not even certain how much say he has in the actual picks), drafting has turned into a dumpster fire! Say what you will about Cowher, he didn't miss on nearly as many picks as Tomlin does.

At the end of the year, they will need a fall guy, since they probably wont even finish 500. That will be Haley. And rightly so. For a guy who was said to match the offensive schemes to the talent on hand, he spends too much time pounding square pegs into round holes.

The further we get from the Cowher era, the worse the team looks. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
But your first and second rounders have to be solid starters that are better than at least half of the players at their positions across the league.
Absolutely. This team wouldn't even be that bad if their top 2 picks over the years were SERVICEABLE NFL players let alone superstars. Most are not even serviceable as starters.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 03:36 PM

The Steelers need to put up a sign:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these. . . . .

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Hope? My pap used to say, "Hope in one hand, crap in the other and see which one fills up first". I think we all know which hand is getting filled with what this year.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 PM

The thing is, The Rooneys are in a tight spot because, if tit turns out that Tomlin is just a lousy coach, how can they fire him? He's the Rooney rule poster boy! And once Lebaeu retires and Haley is axed and the other lesser coaches are replaced and things don't get better, what else can the Rooneys do?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 PM
Banned

Hope for the next 5 years??? Not looking good.

This team will likely be a .500 team for the next 5 years. Ben will likely miss significant time because of injuries sustained due to the O line's inability to even stop my grandmother from getting to the QB.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 AM
The Man

You guys also should realize you all are seein this team as it really is.They have been really lucky for good while now it has caught up to them.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
You guys also should realize you all are seein this team as it really is.They have been really lucky for good while now it has caught up to them.
But the most frustrating thing about it is, that nobody in the front office seemed to see it coming and there was no action taken to "soften the blow" so to speak.

Of course they can't be world beaters every year, but there is no reason it should be this abysmal. Their drafting has been bad and their signed players haven't been living up to expectations. (I'm looking at you Woodley and AB)
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 01:59 AM
The Man

The Chief is rollin in his grave seein how his deadbeat son and grandson has ran this franchise into the ground.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page