Never died?
All a lie?
What?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM

Re: Manti Te'o's Girlfriend

Wow! This is strange!

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Manti Teo's girlfriend, who supposedly died in September, never existed according to Deadspin</span></span>

By Frank Schwab

<span style="font-style: italic">The tale of Manti Te'o playing through a heavy heart over the passing of his girlfriend during the season has been turned upside down by a baffling, bombshell story from Deadspin.

The passing of Lennay Kekua's death after a battle with leukemia in September, just after Te'o's grandmother died, and how the Notre Dame linebacker played through the heartbreak just a few days later against Michigan State became one of the biggest college football stories of the season. It's one of the reasons Te'o, a Heisman Trophy finalist who led Notre Dame to an undefeated season, became a huge star over fall of 2012.

Deadspin said it's all a hoax. The story says that Lennay Kekua is entirely made up. The pictures of her are another woman's Facebook pictures, a woman who has never met Te'o. Deadspin said it could not find any online evidence she existed, outside of a few Twitter and Instagram accounts. Even though Kekua was said to be a student at Stanford, the university has no record of her. From what Deadspin's story tells us, the entire thing with Te'o and his deceased girlfriend - which was played up during the season to mythical proportions, including on a cover story in Sports Illustrated - never happened.

Te'o, through a statement by Notre Dame, said he was the victim of this hoax.

This was the statement from Notre Dame's Facebook page:

Notre Dame Statement: Manti Teo

On Dec. 26, Notre Dame coaches were informed by Manti Teo and his parents that Manti had been the victim of what appears to be a hoax in which someone using the fictitious name Lennay Kekua apparently ingratiated herself with Manti and then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had tragically died of leukemia. The University immediately initiated an investigation to assist Manti and his family in discovering the motive for and nature of this hoax. While the proper authorities will continue to investigate this troubling matter, this appears to be, at a minimum, a sad and very cruel deception to entertain its perpetrators.

Dennis Brown
University Spokesman | Assistant Vice President

If this was a hoax and Te'o was simply a victim, it was elaborate and he fell hook, line and sinker for it.

Here's an example of Te'o's comments about Lennay Kekua during the season, from the Tulsa World:

"My girlfriend's service was the day of Michigan's game," he said recently. "I knew when they were going to close the casket and all of that stuff, and it was during walk-through. I remember I asked Coach (Bob) Diaco, 'Coach what time is it?' And he said, 'It's 12:01.'

"That would be 9:01 California time and nine o'clock is when they closed the casket for my girlfriend. So I had a moment then."

It's a heck of a thing to read again after the Deadspin revelations.

Until Te'o provides specific details of how he was taken by this hoax, and how he believed he had a girlfriend who never existed and then mourned her death with his teammates and Notre Dame fans supporting him, the circumstances will remain a bit confusing. The relationship apparently began on Twitter, according to Deadspin. Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a classmate of the woman whose Facebook photos were passed off as Kekua, knew Te'o, and was said in the story to have "created" Kekua. The Deadspin story doesn't explain, for example, how Te'o believed he was talking to Kekua every night until they fell asleep on the phone, as was told in an ESPN.com story.

This is without question one of the strangest stories in a long time. It's certainly not a good look for Te'o, who spent 2012 as one of the most beloved figures in college football, at least until he fully explains all of the details about what happened.

UPDATE: Here is Te'o's statement, that was first published by ESPN.com:

"This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating. It further pains me that the grief I felt and the sympathies expressed to me at the time of my grandmother's death in September were in any way deepened by what I believed to be another significant loss in my life. I am enormously grateful for the support of my family, friends and Notre Dame fans throughout this year. To think that I shared with them my happiness about my relationship and details that I thought to be true about her just makes me sick. I hope that people can understand how trying and confusing this whole experience has been. In retrospect, I obviously should have been much more cautious. If anything good comes of this, I hope it is that others will be far more guarded when they engage with people online than I was. Fortunately, I have many wonderful things in my life, and I'm looking forward to putting this painful experience behind me as I focus on preparing for the NFL Draft."</span>

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just saw that on the local news. Here's a link to a story on USA Today's site.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...dspin/1840415/

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Did he make it up, or was he duped like that catfish show on MTV?

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

From what I can gather from the article, he was duped. Apparently it was only an online relationship. Never met the girl in person.

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 PM
The Man

How bizarre.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washpa Randy
From what I can gather from the article, he was duped. Apparently it was only an online relationship. Never met the girl in person.
Not much good can come of this for him.

If he indeed only had an online relationship, it's going to be hard for NFL talent evaluators to think, gee, he never ever met her in person but yet gave all those interviews about how she was so central to his life and motivation.

And in today's world, one cannot help but think of guys like Lance Armstrong, Raphael Palmero, Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, and so many others who blatantly, blatantly, outright lied to cover their deeds? There has to be a sliver of doubt that says he was in on it to enhance his image for the Heisman and the draft. Might not be true, but alas, that is today's sports world.

If you owned or coached a team, would YOU risk multi-millions and a high draft pick on either scenario?

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 11:40 PM

Unbelievable!

Wonder if all of this played any part in his performance in the BCS title game?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Yea Alabama ran thru Te'o like he wasnt there.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRub00
Quote:
Yea Alabama ran thru Te'o like he wasnt there.
Maybe he's a figment of the imagination as well?

This is what I find really strange. From more than one article, it was Te'o's own brother who informed him of her demise. Was he part of the "plot", or just as gullible as Manti?

Story I'm referencing

did you get all that on camera sport?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page