Clemente - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Clemente

Today marks the 40th anniversary of his death. What a tragic loss to the sports world. One of the finest to ever play the game. I had the pleasure of watching him play in the 60s at Forbes Field. He gave 100% effort on every play. I remember waking up New Year's day and hearing the sad news. Seems like only a few years ago. I also think that was the year the Steelers lost to the Dolphins in a playoff game on the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:20 PM
The Man

Re: Clemente

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem760
Today marks the 40th anniversary of his death. What a tragic loss to the sports world. One of the finest to ever play the game. I had the pleasure of watching him play in the 60s at Forbes Field. He gave 100% effort on every play. I remember waking up New Year's day and hearing the sad news. Seems like only a few years ago. I also think that was the year the Steelers lost to the Dolphins in a playoff game on the same day.
I remember it as well. A very sad day for a 9 yeaar old boy. I kept hoping that the reports were wrong, and that he would be found.

You are correct on the Steelers.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Same way here guys, my family was in camp in Warren Cty when we heard news...
I remember coming home and the signs in & around Pgh...including the Bayer sign at incline...
Ariba... Ariba....Adios Amigo....
"We will always remember how he rolled his head like a proud stallion when he approached the plate"!!!
Seemed like Every kid in Pgh in every baseball field, or every whiffle ball game on every street wanted to be 21...will only ever be Roberto!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 PM

I never had the privilege of seeing him play. In a way, that's a good thing. The Nuttings would have traded him for a bag of baseballs and a third rate shortstop in India.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem760
I remember it as well. A very sad day for a 9 yeaar old boy. I kept hoping that the reports were wrong, and that he would be found.

You are correct on the Steelers.
Yeah, it was the game after the Immaculate Reception. They lost to the Dolphins in their undefeated season.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was 11...man i heard that and started crying...man sad day in my memories just like when Badger Bob died...cried then too!

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM

As kids we used to take the 87 Ardmore trolley to Pittsburgh (Shadyside?) and then walk to Forbes Field where we would always sit in the right field bleachers so we could see, as Bob Prince called him, The Great Roberto. He could peg a ball from the ivy covered wall straigt to Smokey Burges and that thing was like a rocket. And that Basket-Catch he had, wow!!

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page