R.I.P STEVE VAN BUREN - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

R.I.P STEVE VAN BUREN

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Eagles great Steve Van Buren dead at 91</span></span>

By<span style="font-weight: bold"> Jeff McLane</span>
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
Thu, Aug. 23, 2012

Steve Van Buren, one of the greatest Eagles in franchise history, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and the fearless running back on the Birds' 1948 and 1949 NFL championship teams, died Thursday evening at the age of 91, the team announced.

Van Buren died of pneumonia in Lancaster, Pa., according to the Eagles. He is survived by three daughters, 16 grandchildren, and 16 great grandchildren.

"On the field and off, as a player, a leader and a man, Steve Van Buren embodied the finest characteristics of our city and our sport," Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said in a statement. "He was a friend and an inspiration to generations of fans, and the model of what an Eagle should be."

Van Buren was inducted into the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio in 1965. He was the first Eagles player elected into the Hall. In 1994, he was selected to the NFL's 75th Anniversary team. He won four rushing titles and was a five-time all-pro.

Nicknamed "Wham-Bam" for his "quick and punishing running style, according to an Eagles release, Van Buren finished his career with 5,860 rushing yards and 77 TDs.

“Watch those old films and you know that Steve Van Buren was something special,” Eagles head coach Andy Reid said in a statement. "He was special in person, too, humble about his own accomplishments and encouraging to others. His memory will be with Eagles fans for as long as this team takes the field."

The Eagles selected Van Buren out of LSU in the first round of the 1944 draft. He helped turned the franchise into a perennial winner. The Eagles won three straight division titles and back-to-back NFL championships in 1948 and 1949 with Van Buren in the backfield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 AM
Sage

Re: R.I.P STEVE VAN BUREN

The Eagles could use a Van Buren or two. A legend and a great man was lost today.

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Sage

Re: R.I.P STEVE VAN BUREN

RIP Steve.

It’s funny until somebody gets hurt, then it’s hilarious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page