Pirates - What's your gauge ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Pirates - What's your gauge ?

I've been a Pirates fan since the Clemente days, and will never forget where I was when the awful news came through the wire about the plane crash. Total shock. The 70's were fairly kind to the Buc's, most of the 80's not so much, and of course 90, 91, 92 renewed hope...... then the awful collapse. So to that light I'll ask, what will satify you this year as far as their finish. We know what happened last year. What will be acceptable or considered a season that is positive. Will a .500 record be enough ? I know before the season started, most fans would be more than willing to accept that. Not so sure now right ? Will they have to win the Central ? Wildcard ? Any of you shooting for World Series appearance or bust ? Myself, playing .500 or so ball the second half and finishing 5-10 over .500 will be a good stepping stone..... maybe even a Wldcard. What say you ?

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Pirates - What's your gauge ?

Before the season, I'd have been very happy with a .500 finish. That would have indicated progress, and that's what I've been waiting the past 17(?) losing seasons for. I'll admit, I'm more excited about the Bucs than I've been for a long time. Getting Burnett was a big boost for the pitching staff. We still need another bat or our bats in the current lineup have to get better. That was my take on the collapse last year, the lack of offense put so much pressure on the pitching staff that it just physically and emotionally wore them out.

I'm with you, playing .500 or better ball in the second half and being in the hunt for a playoff spot even if only a wildcard would be fantastic. I hope the injury bug doesn't bite us. I'm not expecting a World Series run. I'm a little worried Hanrahan is starting to show some signs of coming unglued. He starting to have some control problems. If our bullpen falls apart we're done.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 08:36 PM

they're what, 10 games over .500 now? playing .500 ball the rest of the way means they finish at 10 over. they need a little help, another right handed batting corner outfeilder, try something different at short, possibly another starter. playoffs, yep.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM

After 19 losing seasons, I will take a winning season. Anything on top of that will be a bonus. They are in a good position to make a run for the playoffs.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 01:07 AM
The Man

The Reds and Cards are still sound clubs that could go on a terror. In fact, I expect one of those two to win the division. But, if the Bucs continue to play good, sound ball, I can see them as a wild card. But, the Bucs schedule is soft in July. In fact, I think they could go 12-7 or better over the next 19. (Shocking, must have been the beer I had after washing the truck.)

For Free Agency, I'd love to see the Bucs pick up a "real" lead off guy, or maybe a starting pitcher (depending on Bedard or one of the two young arms down on the farm).

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM

From the little I have seen them, I think they are good enough to compete with anyone in MLB. Not dominate, but at least compete. An injury to a key player could dismantle everything. But hey, we are able to use Pirates and playoffs in the same conversation, so that in and of itself is drastic improvement. Hurdle needs an extension ASAP, as does his pitching coach. Good coaching is the biggest bargain in sports, and we all know how Nutting loves him a bargain.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 07:21 AM
Frequent Contributor

the bottom is about to fall out just like last year!

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Feels a bit different than last year, and the team is structured to be better than last year I believe. Add to that, they are in a really soft schedule right now. The wheels may come off, but I don't think it will happen until the final stretch if it does, and they SHOULD still finish + .500

2A-Wash. Co.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 PM

And I think we have a few more pitchers this year who are slump enders. Doesn't feel like an extended slump is as likely this year as in years before.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 11:04 PM

Wayyy more confidence and depth than last year. Adding vets like Burnett and Barajas has the younger guys pushing constantly. Bucs will be fine!

PSE Omen
*HHA 0L-5019
*QAD HD
2A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page