I値l Have Another Scratched From Belmont, Ending T - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

I値l Have Another Scratched From Belmont, Ending T

<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="font-size: 14pt"> I値l Have Another Scratched From Belmont, Ending Triple Crown Bid
</span> </span>

By <span style="font-weight: bold">THE NEW YORK TIMES</span>
June 8, 2012

I値l Have Another will not get his shot at horse racing history. The Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner, aiming to become the 12th horse to ever to win the Triple Crown, was scratched out of tomorrow痴 Belmont Stakes due to injury.

The impressive three-year-old colt, who had been a longshot winner of the Derby and an impressive winner three weeks ago in the Preakness, might be suffering from tendonitis in his left front leg, according to his trainer, Doug O誰eill.

O誰eill and the horse痴 owner, J. Paul Reddam, scheduled a news conference at Belmont Racetrack for 1 p.m. A crowd of more than 100,000 people was expected to watch I値l Have Another try to end the 34-year Triple Crown drought. Affirmed, in 1978, was the last to accomplish the feat. Nineteen horses have won the first two legs and lost the mile-and-one-half Belmont Stakes.

I値l Have Another痴 scratch is one of the most momentous in racing history. Only two horses who won the Derby and Preakness Burgoo King in 1932 and Bold Venture in 1936 did not contest the Belmont, and that was well before the Triple Crown had achieved mainstream prominence.

I値l Have Another was undefeated in four starts this year, having won twice in California before pulling off a 15-1 upset in the Kentucky Derby. In the Preakness he determinedly wore down his rival and Derby runner-up Bodemeister to win by a neck.

It remains unclear if I値l Have Another will ever race again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM

Re: I値l Have Another Scratched From Belmont, Ending T

When I saw this breaking on Twitter, I was shocked.

I was even more shocked (and maybe laughed) when I also read on twitter that the horse changed it's name to "I've had enough"

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I heard this morning that they've retired him. Shame. I'm not a real horseracing fan, but I've been following this and looking forward to seeing a triple crown run. I'll probably not even watch now. On the flip side, nice to see some owner's who care more about their horse than the money or notoriety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 05:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

He's worth more as as uninjured stud, it was a smart financial move.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yep. I'm sure you're right

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page