The "bounty" system - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

The "bounty" system

Why does this even happen? I mean, seriously, guys who make hundred of thousands, and even millions of dollars per year should not be motivated to DO THE JOB THEY ARE PAID TO DO by an extra $1000. I do not think that it makes the players horrible who were involved. The fact is that, in any defense, your front 7 should be looking to hit QBs as hard as they possibly can anyway. Hurting opposing players is a consequence of their job. Would you want an outside LB who is afraid of hurting someone? I kinda feel this way: If the payoffs happened as a result of CLEAN, non penalized, legal football plays, what is the major problem? I think the problem here is that the money was paid for plays made outside the rules of the game, for example, a late hit to a QBs knees that puts him out. When you are encouraging guys to break the rules to hurt opposing players, it's wrong. I doubt that Dick Lebeau would say, "Silverback, will you please try to hit harder if I promise to pay you a grand for big, injury causing hits?" On the Steelers, if guys aren't hitting as hard as they possibly can, they soon are playing for the Redskins.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

Re: The "bounty" system

If the Steelers had a bounty system, the first guy I would suspect was cashing in would be Harrison.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

I agree, but it wouldn't change how he plays the game. He already hits people as hard as possible. The only thing he would be able to do is to play outside the rules. That wouldn't happen, because I don't think his teammates would like it when he takes a series of 15 yard penalties in an attempt to collect an extra grand. It wouldn't be worth it anyway, since the league would fine him $100k and suspend him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM

Seems ole Rodger was so busy "making the game safe for the players" that the aints didn't give two pinches about the new rules in place. I don't know how much stock I'd put into this though. ESPN showed a lot of the so called hits in question, and none of them looked bad. Harrison might have caught a fine for a few, but we know how that goes.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM

If the players do this, I dont think it's for the money. It would be like me or you getting a bonus of 2 dollars. Since guys get hurt all the time anyway, I dont think this bounty thing is any more than some kind of extra motivation. If this system didn't exist, would there be fewer injuries? Does Harrison hit any harder because of this? Cause that implies he's not hitting as hard as he can if there were no bounty, and I dont believe that.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz
Seems ole Rodger was so busy "making the game safe for the players" that the aints didn't give two pinches about the new rules in place. I don't know how much stock I'd put into this though. ESPN showed a lot of the so called hits in question, and none of them looked bad. Harrison might have caught a fine for a few, but we know how that goes.
James Harrison is the NFL's version of Matt Cooke. I'm actually surprised that officials don't have penalty calls like "Personal Foul, Number 92 defense, being James Harrison. 15 yard penalty, and automatic first down." At least that would be honest. Cooke sent to the box the other night because the ref didn't want to put the other team down 2 men.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
If the players do this, I dont think it's for the money. It would be like me or you getting a bonus of 2 dollars. Since guys get hurt all the time anyway, I dont think this bounty thing is any more than some kind of extra motivation. If this system didn't exist, would there be fewer injuries? Does Harrison hit any harder because of this? Cause that implies he's not hitting as hard as he can if there were no bounty, and I dont believe that.
Honestly, if I were a coach, and saw that a player started hitting harder after instituting a bounty policy, I'd be cutting him right away, because that means he wasn't giving me 100%, and that is unacceptable.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Agreed. That's why i dont put too much into the bounty system. It would be just like if you and I went fishing with a group of guys and we threw 5 bucks into a kitty and that was given to the guy who caught the biggest fish.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:16 AM
The Man

Certain Cowboys have admitted to running a bounty system several years ago. This is another one of those things that probably happens more than we know and the league would ever admit.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 03:25 PM

bounty or no bounty some players are just dirty and take cheap shots or try to injure other players any chance they get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page