Six former Lions assistant coaches to share $4.4 m - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Six former Lions assistant coaches to share $4.4 m

Quote:
Six former Lions assistant coaches to share $4.4 million severance

By Joe Juliano
Inquirer Staff Writer
Sat, Jan. 21, 2012

Penn State acting athletic director Dave Joyner disclosed Friday that the university will have to pay more than $4.4 million in severance to six assistant coaches who were not retained by new head football coach Bill O'Brien.

Joyner told the Penn State board of trustees that the payout will come out of surplus funds and will lead to a proposed budget deficit of $5 million for the forthcoming year.

Speaking to reporters after the board meeting at the Nittany Lion Inn in State College, Joyner said former head coach Joe Paterno was not included as part of the severance package. The 85-year-old Paterno, who was fired Nov. 9, is a tenured member of the Penn State faculty.

"I don't know what the contractual relationship is there," Joyner said.

Joyner, who stepped aside as a trustee when he accepted the job as acting athletic director, said the exact severance figure was $4,432,000. He said details of the plan were being worked out by the university's human resources department.

The six assistant coaches who were not retained are: defensive coordinator and interim head coach Tom Bradley; quarterbacks coach Jay Paterno; offensive coordinator Galen Hall; offensive line coaches Dick Anderson and Bill Kenney; and secondary coach Kermit Buggs.

Joyner said some of the former assistants could gain other positions at the university and others could retire. Hall and Anderson are in their 70s.

Mike McQueary, who was receivers coach under Joe Paterno, remains on paid administrative leave, Joyner said.

McQueary is a key witness in the state attorney general's child-molestation case against former assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, having testified to a grand jury that he saw Sandusky assaulting a boy in 2002 in a shower at the football facility.

In other football-related news, O'Brien was dealt a blow when linebacker Camren Williams, who had orally committed last March to Penn State, said on Twitter that he would attend Ohio State.

"It's official. I'm a Buckeye! #GoBucks #BuckeyeNation," tweeted the 6-foot-2, 210-pound Williams, who starred at Catholic Memorial High School in West Roxbury, Mass.

Williams is the fourth recruit to back off his commitment to Penn State since Sandusky was indicted Nov. 5. Both he and defensive tackle Tommy Schutt were lost to Ohio State and new head coach Urban Meyer.

The Nittany Lions have 14 commitments. Websites that follow Penn State recruiting reported Friday that two players who were labeled as "soft verbals" - cornerback Malik Golden of Cheshire, Conn., and linebacker Nyeem Wartman of Archbald, Pa. - recommitted to the Lions.

Williams, who holds a four-star rating from recruiting services Scout.com and Rivals.com, received a visit earlier this week from Penn State coaches and had planned a visit for next weekend. But he made an unofficial visit to Ohio State later in the week and announced his decision after returning home.

The flip of Williams does not bode well for Penn State because his high school teammate, cornerback Armani Reeves, who also has made an oral commitment to the Nittany Lions, has been considering other possibilities. Williams and Reeves have indicated a desire to attend the same college.

O'Brien announced Friday that running backs coach Charles London also will serve as recruiting coordinator.
I think its interesting the way they still have Mike McQueary on a leave and is not included in the buyouts.
I wonder if they are hanging on to him to try and have PSU's public relations people control what he might say until after the investigation is over.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Six former Lions assistant coaches to share $4.4 m

Isn't there some kind of whistleblower law? Maybe that's why they can't let him go right now.

Where have you been?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: Six former Lions assistant coaches to share $4.4 m

Not really sure but its not like he was being singled out. Six other coaches so far are not being retained and it is not unusual for new head coaches to bring in a lot if not all of their own people.
That was why I found it odd McQueary's name was not on the list.
Since they must have had contracts the buy-outs are in lieu of continued service and it would have been real easy, but expensive, to had cleaned house when the new coach was hired.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page