PSU QB KO'd in locker room by WR - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

PSU QB KO'd in locker room by WR

Penn State receiver hospitalizes Matt McGloin with locker room punch
By Matt Hinton
The last time Penn State fans saw Matt McGloin connect with Curtis Drake, it was on a 44-yard touchdown pass in the first quarter of the Lions' season-ending loss at Wisconsin. By all accounts out of State College today, their latest connection was pretty much the exact opposite of that:

The Patriot-News has learned that Penn State's starting quarterback, Matt McGloin, has suffered a seizure as a result of a post-practice locker room incident. The incident and Matt's medical condition were confirmed by Paul McGloin, Matt's father.
[…]
Paul McGloin told The Patriot-News that the doctor informed him that his son did suffer a seizure and likely suffered a concussion.

Matt's father also said that the CAT scan and an MRI results came back negative. Paul McGloin said he was still gathering information from his son about what transpired in the Lasch Building locker room earlier today.

A source close to the program told The Patriot-News that a scuffle between Matt McGloin and wide receiver Curtis Drake took place.

Other outlets have also reported the fight, including confirmation from sophomore punter Anthony Fera and another source who told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ron Musselman that McGloin was knocked out with one punch. Drake reportedly attended a brief team meeting at 4:30 p.m., while McGloin (according to his father) returned to his apartment after being released from Mount Nittany Medical Center. No charges have been filed as of this evening, but campus police were called and are expected to release a report later tonight.

McGloin has spent most of the last two seasons stuck in a revolving door with sophomore Robert Bolden — together, they've combined for the fewest touchdown passes and worst pass efficiency rating in the Big Ten this year — but took the vast majority of snaps over the Lions' last three games and seemed to lock down the starting job after coach Joe Paterno was fired in November. No word on his status for Penn State's Jan. 2 date with Houston in the Ticket City Bowl.

Drake has just five catches after sitting out all of 2010 with a broken leg, four of them in the last five games. The big play against Wisconsin was his first career touchdown, and turned out to be the Nittany Lions' only touchdown in a 45-7 rout.

I really didnt think that it could get any worse than it already was

What a shame for all the kids that signed up to play for that once proud program... I'm ashamed to admit I'm an alumni...

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 01:55 AM

Re: PSU QB KO'd in locker room by WR

Well on the upside, after Sandusky, anything that happens in the locker room is an improvement.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallscity1
What a shame for all the kids that signed up to play for that once proud program... I'm ashamed to admit I'm an alumni...
Why, because to kids got in a fight...come on. Fights like this happen every day. The fact that this happened in the shower, at PSU, between a couple football players was the only reason you heard about it. I would bet that dang near every football team in the US had a fight at some point this season.

It's just the media trying to sell papers.

Why do they call it common sense when it is so rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
this happened in the shower,

Unless I missed something the article said it happened in the locker room not the shower.

It’s funny until somebody gets hurt, then it’s hilarious
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:39 PM

my newspaper reported that Bolden was recently arrested but didn't say why. Anyone know? Drake appears to have been arrested several times for prior incidents.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM

If I were the Nittany Lions, I would be apprehensive about being led by a guy who gets one punch knocked out.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:54 PM

Maybe it was a sucker or lucky punch.
Had arguments and pushing matches with team mates but never expected one to try and take me out.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 01:13 PM

I'd pick a fight with Bolden over McGloin. At least with Bolden you can be sure that if he throws a punch he will only hit you in the feet.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Quote:
Why, because to kids got in a fight...come on. Fights like this happen every day. The fact that this happened in the shower, at PSU, between a couple football players was the only reason you heard about it. I would bet that dang near every football team in the US had a fight at some point this season.

Umm..
I think it made the news because the starting QB was knocked out cold by the receiver, had a seizure and a concussion, and now may not be able to start in their bowl game.

Even if the Sandusky incident never happened, this would have still been news worthy.

Just a shame for the whole program.

Suburban redneck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Quote:

Agreed. I don't know if I'd be ashamed if 2 football players got into a fight.

I played football at Bloomsburg, and fights do happen. You have that many guys competing for a spot, and things get heated. My freshman year, a senior took what I thought was a cheap shot on me, so I took a swing at him. Here I was, an 18 year old kid, getting into it with a 23 year old who could bench press 3x my body weight. Probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but I wasn't going to back down. They got us seperated and we went on our business. After practice, we shook hands and it was over.

This stuff does happen at every college, but it is going to be reported at a place like PSU.

You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page