The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Dear Jerome,

8K views 64 replies 24 participants last post by  BCozhunter 
#1 ·
I am sorry, but you have been replaced as my avatar for the time being, at least, by a more special moment.

#3 ·
I can't really put into words what a great day it was today. I really feel this was the best day of my life, bar none. Today was the first opening day since the ex wife and I separated, and I stopped being able to enjoy my children daily. It was so perfect. She got to hunt with her great grandpa, and fired her first shot right beside him. She missed the spike, but I reminded her that every miss is a shot closer to her first deer. I didn't realize how right I was. We then walked across the road, to a hill top. First, she saw a doe, then her buck crossed in front of her. She popped up, put the 30-30 I used for my first deer to her shoulder, and...froze. I had to say "Meg--cock the hammer, baby!!" She did, then placed a perfect shot right behind the shoulder. It ran off, and just happened to fall in front of a ton of family and close family friends, all of whom showered her with the customary congrats. She was speechless, she was so excited. I, as I promised, proceeded to clean her first deer, but reminded her that the first one is free, she will handle the next one. We got it up to my car, and the first person to see it was great grandpa himself. Then we went to my wonderful (ex)sister in law's, and she was in tears she was so happy for her niece. For at least one day, it was her and I, no divorce, no custody, it all went away for a few hours, and we were like we always had been. And it all happened on my newly departed great grandmother's birthday. I don't know if I will ever have a day this happy again.

#10 ·
I'm planning to make a plaque for the antlers. I will inlay a photo under plexiglass, using 30-30 bullets to anchor the glass down, and I want to somehow incorporate the casing she used into this. Any suggestions are welcome.

#20 ·
steelerfan58 said:
That's my intention, to put the case just below the antlers, and above the photo. I think I will coat the casing with polyurethane to keep it from changing color.
Research the poly. Some of it turns yellow over time(laquer?)....some of it stays clear. I can't remember from my woodworking days which is what and why. Probably not a big deal on the casing, but could be if it's going over the pic.

#24 ·
She's still wearing that smile.
This is about wayyy more than a deer. This may well be something that makes my whole life turns around. The ex wife was doing a fine job of playing perfect mommy, and turning this girl against me. But perfect mom seems to be going away now, and the real person is coming back. She couldn't even let Meg have her moment in the sun. She just said she doesn't approve of some to the things that happen on the farm we hunt on, which, ironically, belongs to the ex wife's own grandfather!! My daughter is of the opinion of, in her words, "What does she know anyway? She's never hunted there, and she sure doesn't know how we hunt together, Dad." Custody battle #1 is soon.

#26 ·
Well SF58, I truly hope things turn out best as possible for the girls and you. Hopefully, this week builds the foundation for future hunts together and the other complications you're going through don't get in the way of that.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.