Corbett's role in PSU firings??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Corbett's role in PSU firings???

Whats your opinion on what Gov. Corbett's role in the firings was? I heard a couple different theories floating around. The following was taken from Wikipedia:

"Corbett became governor on January 18, 2011. One of his first actions was the proposal of a new state budget that would decrease spending by 3%. The proposed budget received significant criticism due to its cuts in state-supported higher education by 50%. Under the new budget, funding granted to the 14 universities of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and state-related universities Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln would be cut in half, totaling $625 million."

Now if I remember correctly, Paterno and Spanier fought this extremely hard because it directly effected Penn State. And now Corbett is on the Penn State board of directors. Seems a little funny to me that the two men that were in opposition to him are now out of a job? Now granted, there were other factors behind their firing, but IMHO, all of the trustees had a little bug in their ear in Tom Corbett.

You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:04 PM

Re: Corbett's role in PSU firings???

Only thing you can say is this is about power and money.

Not 100% sure about this but I think Corbett automatically went onto the board when he was elected Gov.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birch812
Not 100% sure about this but I think Corbett automatically went onto the board when he was elected Gov.
You are correct, along with 6 people appointed by him.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfb74
Whats your opinion on what Gov. Corbett's role in the firings was? I heard a couple different theories floating around. The following was taken from Wikipedia:

"Corbett became governor on January 18, 2011. One of his first actions was the proposal of a new state budget that would decrease spending by 3%. The proposed budget received significant criticism due to its cuts in state-supported higher education by 50%. Under the new budget, funding granted to the 14 universities of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and state-related universities Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln would be cut in half, totaling $625 million."

Now if I remember correctly, Paterno and Spanier fought this extremely hard because it directly effected Penn State. And now Corbett is on the Penn State board of directors. Seems a little funny to me that the two men that were in opposition to him are now out of a job? Now granted, there were other factors behind their firing, but IMHO, all of the trustees had a little bug in their ear in Tom Corbett.
The firings could have been because of differences over budgets.

But I think it's more likely the firings could have been about some other item that's been in the news lately...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:14 PM

He's a politician, who as Pa AG punted on the Sandusky case as did everyone else. He is no hero in this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM

"Normally, the scandal at Pennsylvania State University would raise crippling questions about the integrity of Gov. Tom Corbett. But because this case involves allegations of child abuse, we have suspended judgment. We have also forsaken allegiance to principles we pretend to hold dear, such as the presumption of innocence, fair play and the rule of law."

Read the rest here. It is an important view from an outsider.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-11-13/n...ury-joe-paterno
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Interesting. I just posted that article on my Facebook page.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Donít go tossing facts into an emotional feeding frenzy now.
This is going to take years to straighten out this tangled web. All the publicity is going to make life 10X tougher for the true victims involved to get on with the healing and their lives.
I am sure the scum sucking ambulance chasers canít wait for the investigations to end so they can get on with filing the civil lawsuits that surely will come.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearhollow
"Normally, the scandal at Pennsylvania State University would raise crippling questions about the integrity of Gov. Tom Corbett. But because this case involves allegations of child abuse, we have suspended judgment. We have also forsaken allegiance to principles we pretend to hold dear, such as the presumption of innocence, fair play and the rule of law."

Read the rest here. It is an important view from an outsider.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-11-13/n...ury-joe-paterno
The article's headline suggests that the law may have been ignored in Paterno's firing. But was any law violated by firing him? I don't think so.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Is Paterno part of the teachers union? If so, I would think that they would be fighting to get his job back, seeing that he broke no law or violated any NCAA rule.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page