The Official 2020 Pirates Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

The Official 2020 Pirates Thread

I've been starting this thread for a few years now, some years it is met with happiness and hope and others not so much. I realize I am starting it far later than I normally would but things aren't normal right now. Technically we would be five games into the 2020 season but obviously the season is still postponed. I can't help but think of this scene when I htink about what is going on right now.

I know the Pirates don't appear to have much going for them and despite a complete overhaul in the FO they still won't say "rebuild" but it's baseball and even though we aren't seeing or playing it right now, Terrence Mann is absolutely right. The one constant is baseball and it can still draw us together (figuratively for now) or create dialogue or even argument. So I thought I would start this thread under our current circumstances to spur conversation, debate, or given the Pirates probably anger but who cares we'll be talking about baseball.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31

Last edited by Backwoods; 03-31-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 03:56 PM

Figures. I finally expect to get my chance with the big club, and something like this comes along.
jimbridger likes this.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2020, 04:01 PM

The Pirates could be playing. I am positive that all 50 people that would show up to their games would be able to space out well enough in PNC to make it the safest place in Pgh.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2020, 10:27 PM

When all this crap hit the fan and spring training cancelled, the Pirate players had a boatload of pizzas and pastas delivered to the Pittsburgh hospitals for the doctors and nurses and helpers. The Pirates organization was setting up a fund for the PNC Park workers who would not be working the games. That was a nice gesture and I give the players and the Pirates a little credit for doing that.

You can say well, they make a boatload of money and they should do that. Well, they did. And they did not have to. It was a nice thing to do.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

The pirates really got the short end of the stick on everything going on.the draft will only be 5 to 10 rds this yr and that hurts the small market teams that depend on the draft to get talent in the system and something else that no one is talking about is if this season is cancelled the young guys they have will be FA one yr sooner and they lose that 1 yr of control over that player which is another whammy for the small market teams. They need to change this system cause this will hurt the small market teams like the Pirates.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 07:53 PM

April 13th, and the pirates sit atop the standings, undefeated so far this season. Who'd have beleived that a couple months ago?

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Forbes did their annual The Business of Baseball list last week. It list the current value of the team, 1-year change, debt/value, revenue, and operating income. The Pirates were one of two teams, the other was Miami, to have a negative 1-year change (-1%).

https://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/list/#tabverall

24th in Revenue. 10th in operating income.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 AM

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/o...t-the-new-cba/

Until I see Nutting vote for a salary cap, and possibly floor, I will not believe this ownership group is invested in winning.

A good discussion on 93.7 happened right after they fired and hired a new manager. Why weren't people/fans excited about the new regime?

Because it doesn't matter what regime is in place under this ownership group. It reminds me of the Black Knight in Monty Python. No arms, no legs, talking a good game.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 07:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

I seen where MLB owners are proposing revenue sharing for a 82 gm season. Could this be the first step to a salary cap? It would be a game changer for all the small market teams,hope it happens
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Players union will probably torpedo that, the.owners want to split the gate 50/50 for salary purposes. Players want 50% of their 2020 salary.

Uh, with no fans in the stands, or stadiums limited to low capacity, what's 50% of nada?

I'm sure we'll all sign up for that Pirate Package on Root Sports for only $4 per game. Not.

A closed mind keeps the truth out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page