The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Pete Rose

5K views 58 replies 22 participants last post by  jimbridger 
#1 · (Edited)
Charlie Hustle is lobbying once again to get his lifetime ban, that he agreed to, lifted. His argument is, since nobody from the Astros cheating scandal was banned he shouldn’t be banned either. I gotta agree with him this time but if his lifetime ban is lifted, all information about his gambling on baseball should be made public as part of the agreement. This way, when Pete is selling his autograph, every dad taking his kid to the show, can decide if he wants his kid to have Pete’s autograph.

#6 ·
Fits right in with today's lax standards , early parole , giving convicts the right to vote , legalized gambling , legal pot and all the
other liberal crap.
He agreed to it , own it Pete.

#9 ·
We have professional sports teams in Vegas now. We had professional sports teams in Jersey. Betting on games is one thing and influencing the score or outcome are another.

"Major League Baseball, which has banned its all-time hits leader for life because he bet on baseball, said it will seek additional protections to protect “the integrity of the game.” CBS Sports says baseball wants a 1 percent integrity fee of all money bet, and the players union will be looking for a cut of of the action, too."

As long as baseball takes a cut they are betting on baseball. If the players union takes a cut all players should be banned for life and that would close the hall to all. Waugh!

#15 ·
And he served his time. He agreed to terms of the commissioner. We do not know the full terms he agreed to and the commissioner died before telling the full terms to the public.

If you stick to the rules you can't change the rules when someone pays you or offers to pay you. It never changed the outcome of the games. Just like the "integrity fee" should not change the outcome. Waugh!

#16 ·
I think we all can agree than Integrity is paramount in our society and one of the most important lessons we can teach our children, grandchildren, etc..

Pete Rose made a choice, he chose to bet on baseball. His choice has/had consequences for this lack of integrity. He should NOT be awarded for that. Allowing him into the hallf of fame teaches our younger generations that breaking the rules has no consequences. That is an awful lesson.

#18 ·
I think we all can agree than Integrity is paramount in our society and one of the most important lessons we can teach our children, grandchildren, etc..

Pete Rose made a choice, he chose to bet on baseball. His choice has/had consequences for this lack of integrity. He should NOT be awarded for that. Allowing him into the hallf of fame teaches our younger generations that breaking the rules has no consequences. That is an awful lesson.[/QUOTE

So if your child is expelled from school for having tobacco should he be banned from school for ever? How about speeding, we know speeding kills people but your kid did not kill someone just over the limit and got caught. Should we take away the drivers license forever. The consequences should be a deterrent not a banishment. Are we teaching our children to not bother to be the best they can be because somewhere down the road it can be taken away for one misstep?
Do we remove children with a 4.0 grade average from the honor roll because they cut a few classes or had taken a few days off to go hunting? Really what are our children learning from us?

Are telling them that using illegal banned substances is ok as long as baseball makes money and recovers from the baseball strike but betting on a baseball is bad because baseball did not make money from the trans action. But wait betting on baseball is now good because now baseball and all the players are getting a cut. Waugh!

#17 ·
Betting on a game absolutely changes the way you manage that game. No way around that. When it changes teh way you manage that game, it also influences the next game by default. You leave a relief pitcher in longer than you would have in order to win that game. You hold a player out of one game because you know you want to bet on your team to win the next game and you want him fresh.

You have now changed a season. There are/were receipts, we know this. We don't know what else there was. He agreed to a lifetime ban, there must have been more. There hasn't been anything that changed the agreement.

#20 ·
I think he should be allowed into the hall of fame based on his contributions as a player, not what he did in his second career, managing which is where the betting accrued.

NFL HoF admits lifetime banned drug users and wife beaters yet Baseball HoF committee cant move past this?
Rose has lost financially many times over what he could have won betting as a manager on baseball, and not on his teams. Allowing him to be eligible to be voted in isnt a sure thing and I think there are enough so against what he did he would not get the necessary votes to get in anyhow.

JMO, the guy was made an example long enough and should be able to die being a part of the sport he gave his heart and soul to as a player.

#28 ·
Vital tool in the 1980 Phillies world Series win. Backed up Bob Boone on a pop up to the catcher and made a great play. Hustle was a way of life for him. Want to teach a kid how to play a game of baseball show them how he played and what hard work and dedication gets you in results. Waugh!

#31 ·
I don’t think anybody can question Pete’s work ethic or the fact that he has the numbers to be in the Hall. The only thing in question is his betting on MLB baseball games. Sometimes from the dugout! Think about that, he was so addicted to gambling he couldn’t even wait until after he was outside of the Stadium to get his bets in to his bookie.

How many on this thread think Pete was above betting on his own team? I don’t because addicted gamblers will bet on anything. They need that fix, that rush they get from laying down the bet and watching the wheel spin.

Btw, being a lifelong Phillies fan I watched Pete play in a lot of games at Veterans Stadium, nobody played the game like he played the game.

#32 ·
Spot on. Rose was a degenerate gambler and a proven lier. He bet on his team as a player and player/coach. Anyone remember the guy that the postal inspectors caught with a mail order business of counterfit sports memorabilia. Remember the book that was found with betting records that included Rose's bets. The bookies knew when to bet the Reds. Rose bet on games for Reds to win. When Rose didn't bet the bookies cleaned up because it was a signal the Reds would lose. Payback for Rose's losses maybe.

And what about all the accusations of sex with underaged girls. How many were paid off to shut them up?

And that bulldozer hit on in the all star game. Many called that dirty play. Especially when Rose stood over Fosse taunting.

The guy is a sleaze and should never ever be admitted to the HOF.

#35 ·
After further consideration and seeing some of the stuff in the news from the former Astros manager and some of the current players, unless MLB vacates the Houston World Series win (and possibly Boston's if Cora took the idea with him), then Pete Rose and others who are banned from baseball should be admitted as candidates for the Hall of Fame.

Only to be elected to the Hall. They can still be banned from any other role with the league or a team.

I cannot see or agree with how you know that your league champion systematically and intentionally cheated and other than some symbolic punishment after the fact, that trophy and banner still reside in Houston, but yet you keep individuals out of the HOF when in fact no one has proven jack squat about Rose doing anything out of line WHILE HE PLAYED. And please, back in those days how many MLB players were on "greenies" as they were called? He was the same as any other player of his era and his on the field performance was better than theirs.

I am not a Rose defender. Seems like someone I would not want to hang around with. But, I cannot support double standards, and you have a World Series champ that had an organizational cheating problem and they keep their trophy. You have more hard proof that what they did affected the outcome of games, more so than Rose's betting.

Give Rose his bust, state on his plaque that he was banned permanently from the game and why, and let him be a cautionary tale for young athletes.

But to shun any player, and then put your arm around one of your billionaire owners, guess it just means once they stopped making big money off of Rose the player selling tickets, they can toss him in the trash.

#36 ·
If the mlb chooses to ignore all the cheaters that took steroids and the whole Houston thing. I think Pete Rose’s debt has been paid and then some.
He took a financial hit like most of us can’t imagine. I’m sure he regrets ever gambling on baseball and for those that didn’t see him play he will always be remembered for betting on baseball.

If you ever wanted to show your kids how to play the game. You would want to show them Pete Rose!

Then Chase Utley!

#37 · (Edited)
He took a financial hit like most of us can’t imagine. I’m sure he regrets ever gambling on baseball.

That he took a financial hit is unquestionably true. Pete never met an autograph seeker that he didn’t want to sell he signature to.

That he regrets betting on baseball? I think Pete only regrets getting caught because it cost him plenty of cash along with the prestige of being in the Hall.

Pete is a Hall of Fame player (talentwise) but not even close to being a Hall of Fame person.

#38 ·
If the character and integrity of a ball player weighed more on whether they got in the hall or not. I think some would have to be taken out of the hall. Or baseball period! Not a coaching job for cheating and breaking records that stood for decades.
Rose is stupid!!! That shouldn’t keep him out of the hall

#39 ·
Rose is stupid!!! That shouldn’t keep him out of the hall
But, it is his stupidity that kept him out of the Hall. Pete knows exactly what he did to be banned for life. He didn’t want that information to get out to the public and he went so far as to agree to a lifetime ban to keep it that way. So, what exactly did he do? Bet against his own team? If I was betting man, I’d say it’s a good bet that’s exactly what he did. Every gambler wants the lead pipe lock, the bet that can’t lose and Pete had inside knowledge. Heck, as manager, he had control of the game.

Maybe some day the entire true story will come out.

#42 · (Edited)
You know what, so would I. To me the baseball hall of fame should be about merit, based upon their ability on the field. How are their stats, not how moral is their character. Can you imagine the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame measuring the character of their inductees before being voted on? How about the Football Hall of Fame, any misbehavior in any of those inductees?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.