Best Commissioners & Why? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Best Commissioners & Why?

Read and article today about Super Bowl XLVIII and in the article this was the quote it ended with: "I talked to David (Stern) yesterday. I don't give him any advice," Goodell said. "He's the dean. He gives us advice."

Got me thinking, in the four major American sports how would you rank the comissioners and why?

Mine is as follows:

1. Gary Bettman: Hockey is on the rise in the US and it appears that every year there is some new team making a playoff push so there is parity. Application of penalties/suspensions seems inconsistant though. Contracts are not crazy and roookies, no matter how good they are, don't get $60 million deals.
2. Roger Godell: Tough for me to point out a lot of good but I still think he is better than the rest. The NFL is such a huge business it is amazing to me that one man (of course there are thousands) can really be a figure head. There are fairness and power issues there though.
3. Bud Selig: He and Godell run almost neck and neck for me but until Selig puts Pete Rose in the HoF and returnsd the All-Star game to a meaningless fun game I can't rank him higher. MLB has no parity in the league and the luxury tax is a joke, if they are goign to put somethign in place to help small markets then they should also determine how it is spent (i.e. on the field). If they can tell a team they have to give up money they earned they should tell team how to spend what they are given.
4. David Stern: To me it seems like the NBA PLayers Union completely runs the show there.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Re: Best Commissioners & Why?

Never before has there been such a dearth of good leadership in the major sports leagues. I pick Stern as the best, and it gags me to say that. Selig was not the guy who banned Rose, and the fact is that ownership in baseball would have to agree to 100% revenue sharing, and the players would have to agree to a cap, both of which are not ultimately under Selig's control. If I were owner of the Yankees, there is no way on Earth I would ever agree to revenue sharing when you have a guy like Nutting who will simply pocket the money. In Bettman's case, every year there also seems to be a team in danger of folding or moving. The discipline system is so bizarre it's staggering. Goodell--nuff said.

Weíre not going to apologize for caring. Weíre not.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Sage

Pete Rose is not in the Hall of Fame because of his own actions, not Bud Selig's inactions. Blame Pete. There is no one else to blame.

BTW, great player. Not a great person.

Itís funny until somebody gets hurt, then itís hilarious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM

Goodell is horrible and Bettman is a joke. With Selig, the whole product is broken, not just the top guy. I dont know anything about basketball.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage

IIRC, it was Fay Vincent that banned Rose?

And subsequent commissioners have done nothing to change that, since Rose still refuses to address the reasons he was originally banned?

Other than finally admitting that he bet on baseball and some lame mumble about betting as a manager, he's right where he belongs: Outside, looking in.

Great player. Lousy father, husband and human being.

My solution, would be to put up a small statue of him outside the Hall Of Fame and make him scatter bird seed around it 7 days per week?

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
My solution, would be to put up a small statue of him outside the Hall Of Fame and make him scatter bird seed around it 7 days per week?
I like that solution. One year at our annual super bowl party this question was asked, "Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame?" Not one person said yes. All were Phillies fans.

BTW, Bart Giamatti was Commissioner when Pete accepted his lifetime ban from baseball. He died shortly after and Vincent replaced him.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:53 PM

you know, every year Mick Schmidt goes to the HOF veterans committee and lobbys for pete to get in. I have tremendous respect for Schmidt and I think peoples personal lives need to be kept otu of their professional lives. That doesn't excuse his betting on baseball, but leave the stuff about him as a father or cousin or rabbi out of it. Let the past be the past and put him in there, it wont ever be complete without arguable the best hitter in history.

Just by virtue of sheer size of the nfl, I have to give it to Goodell. Its almost too much power and money for one man to have control over. Its still going strong though and he brought the league out of a lockout so he must be doing something right.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

ch..ch..ch..*click*..BOOM
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 PM

Rose Agreement

"Nothing in this agreement shall be deemed either an admission or a denial by Peter Edward Rose of the allegation that he bet on any major-league baseball game from the Rose-Major League Baseball Agreement, 1989 "

I look at it this way. There is considerable evidence that shows Shoeless Joe Jackson DID NOT bet on the World Series, however, he's not in. I'm not entirely certain, but I don't think betting on baseball was actually even against the rules at that time. Jackson should be in well ahead of Rose, who admits betting on baseball. IF the bets he placed on his own team were only straight up, and only had his team winning, I can see his point. But he also knew the rules, perhaps better than any player in MLB. As a player, without a doubt, he deserves to be there. But he knew the risks.

I also admit that Rule 5 is a hypocritical joke, with its "character and integrity" clause. If this is so, Ty Cobb may have been the most odious person ever to set foot on a baseball field. Babe Ruth was an alcoholic womanizer. Gaylord Perry was a spitballer. Where is the line drawn? Furthermore, what about the all time HR king, who by all accounts, never broke a rule of baseball? Mickey Mantle is in the HOF. In addition to being a womanizing alcoholic, he was addicted to painkillers that enabled him to play better on his destroyed knees. When do we decide what is OK and what is not?

Weíre not going to apologize for caring. Weíre not.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM

wheres the 'dreams shattered' emoticon?

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

ch..ch..ch..*click*..BOOM
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Sage

I honestly don't know much about Pete's personal life. My comments that he is not a great person were meant in a baseball sense, i.e. betting on the game , lying about it, setting up his autograph booth at the Hall of Fame every year and crying to anybody who will listen that he should be in the Hall, when he agreed to the ban. Snubbing kids who "asked" for his autograph, (during his playing days) of course he'd gladly sell it to them. Crying that Gene Garber pitched him like it was the 7th game of the WS to break up his hitting streak.(how should he pitch him) He's just not a good guy in a baseball sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page