The Official 2019 Pirates Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

The Official 2019 Pirates Thread

PLEASE BE EASY ON ME GUYS!!!

I know each off season make it harder and harder for me to muster the courage to start this thread and talk about Bucco baseball. You can easily chalk me up as a loyal fan who is increasingly disheartened.

That said, I am a loyal fan and have been since the early '90s. I figure if I (we) can endure that much what is a little more. So here it is; The Official 2019 Pirates Thread. The thread for us to discuss that highs, lows, and everything in between that is Pirate baseball.

The out look by the "experts" is that this team still finishes around .500. Young pitching staff that made great strides last year coupled with one or two offensive play makers and they can linger around for a bit. As we all know the biggest problem is how much everyone in the division got (Cubs didn't really do anything, but did they need to?). Reds added some aging but still solid pieces, Brewers got a big missing piece in a catcher, and the Cards added what I believe one of the most underrated 1B in the league. They sprinkled in some trades, some salary dumps, and some free agents all in an effort to get better and compete. The Bucs. They added Chisenhall, who despite the snooze signing does have some upside IF he can stay on the field. They brought back Papa Francisco who could be solid in a relief role. Then they got those other middle infielders who together don't add up to much but who knows. Lyles, the projected 5th starter, meh.

The biggest disappointment in the whole thing is they rolled the dice and broke tradition by shipping top prospects for Kela and Archer. The problem is they didn't follow it up in the off season. They threw away young talent for established talent, great, but did nothing else to support the team.

I digress, this isn't an off season rant. Well you can feel free, I am trying to remain optimistic. Tallion, Archer, and Williams make a very good front 3. Musgrove has some potential. Lyles I'm not sold on but he probably gets first crack. Kingham and Brault are out of options so they are likely long relievers/spot starters. I will be curious how they handle the catchers. They tried to move Cervelli but health concerns kept teams away. Stallings is also out of options and there is no one else in the pipe line after him so if doe some reason Cervelli or Diaz go down they risk not having a catcher even at AAA level.

All in all I would agree with the experts. I think this team has enough talent to play around .500. Maybe play spoiler. Best case scenario some of the young ones really step up. Worst case......well we know that we've lived it for years.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31

Last edited by Backwoods; 02-15-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well my take on it is I think their pitching will be one of the best in baseball along with the pen. What pisses me off is they didnt go get a bat to build on last yr success. The middle infield is weak defensively as much as i like frazier he will kill you at second base as a regular and not sure about that kid they picked up Gonzalez. I think the only way this team finishes better than last yr is Kang,Marte, Bell,Polonco, have to hit like 20 hrs each and they need to find a ss that can hit. They signed Caberra that OF from Cleveland who can hit i believe he hit 289 last yr and is a ML hitter. Plus they need to stay away from injuries,which could be a long yr if a couple key guys go down. The rest of the division got better and we did nt but baseball a crazy game,just because you look good on paper doesnt mean you are guaranteed anything.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Since it is Opening Day I thought I should revive this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Man Bucco fans must be really jaded. Not even the regulars have chimed in!

post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
Man Bucco fans must be really jaded. Not even the regulars have chimed in!
Well we arenT going undefeated lol. I thought the lineup was weak yesterday as ive stated in previous post they can t afford no injuries. Tallion threw a decent gm and hindsights always 20/20 if he should have been pulled but i see Hurdles reasoning due to his low pitch count and not to make excuses but i think that ball was foul down the 3rd base line also which could have changed the game.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM

Shocking, the Bucs wasted another gem by Archer. Up 4-0 and can not hold a lead if their lives depended on it. Two really costly errors late that sealed the deal for the tie, and wild pitches sealed their fate in extras. What is with the infield defense? I thought they fixed that mess from last year.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah Kang needs to play everyday at 3rd,Moran looks bad over there and should have been charged another error earlier in the game. Im thinking that platoon him at first to give Bell a break. They should have won this game if they would have made the routine plays!!
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 09:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They been saying that there infield D is a mess and it showed today, I d bring that young kid up that killed the ball in preseason,his dad was a MLBP Hayes kid and move Kang to SS,but they won t cause they want that 6 yr control before his FA time starts!!
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Pitching overall was ok yesterday, Archer was very good, but the D was a let down. The bats weren't good when it mattered either, I think so far on this short season the team is 0-4 with bases loaded. That isn't a good start.

Hayes needs to refine his bat a little more in AAA, he has never played above AA. You are right, they wouldn't risk that control. That said I'd be willing to bet in the next CBA some of that control disappears. I like the idea of Kang at 3B, Moran at 1B, and I think Bell should move to RF. Lets face it, Dickerson and Marte probably get moved at the deadline (Dickerson on a 1 year deal and Marte has 2 team options left at a steal of a price for his talent. They probably trade both) They may as well get Bell used to being back in the OF. Move Moran for now and Will Craig will probably be up in September.

The back end of hte bullpen hasn't looked dominant like I expected it to be; Rodriguez, Kela, and Vasquez have all looked "meh" so far. Burdi continues to surprise me, he looked good in Spring and still looks good, I know he gave up the tieing run but he continues to impress me.

post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Yeah Its early yet, but im starting to wonder if Bell is all that also. He needs to start hitting this yr or this season will be gone.I think Cole tucker is better than Krammer and the other guy at ss. I thought Cervelli should have blocked those passed balls also,sometimes i think he gets a little laxed behind the plate. And whats up with Diaz never heard of a virus lasting 2 months?Think there keeping something under raps with that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page