The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Eagles 2019

13K views 324 replies 22 participants last post by  dc 21 
#1 ·
There is a report from Ian Rappaport saying the Eagles are expected to pick up the 20 million dollar option on Nick Foles.

This is my take on the subject.......He will excercise his option to buy out for 2 million. It looks like a chess game is taking place so the Eagles can get some form of compensation for him. Stay tuned.

#2 ·
this is a mutually agreeable chess game.
and if nothing materializes out of it before his 2 mill buyback date ,he will option his buyout.

nick has 20mill reasons to play along
if the eagles can trade him to an agreeable destination hes guaranteed his 20mill wherever and can negotiate a long term deal.
but I don't think there will be earthshattering trade deal
maybe a good player or a low 3rd round or high 2nd round pick

#3 · (Edited)
I also believe Nick is a willing participant in this deal.
EAGLES don't have cap space to play and lose.
Having to pay Nick 20 mil to sit would severely tie their hands with free agency.
Only way Nick won't be dealt is if the EAGLES have a indication Wentz will not be ready till mid season or later.

#5 ·
So, it’s playing out the way everybody said it would. Foles has opted for the 2 million dollar buyout and that voids the Eagles 20 million dollar option. The Eagles will now put the franchise tag on Foles and trade him.

#7 ·
The Jags receivers are nothing to write home about about but their quarterbacks have been terrible. Maybe with Foles tossing them the ball their game will be elevated. One thing I’ve learned in life is this......”You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken crap.”

Football is the ultimate team game. Every player needs to be on the same page for the plays to work. Give Foles a good offensive line, a good running game, good wideouts and a good tight end and I predict he’ll be a good QB in Jacksonville.

If all of the above is chicken crap.....guess what they’ll get?

I said before, Foles is the Rodney Dangerfield of NFL quarterbacks. Foles won a Super Bowl as a three time underdog. Then there was this year. What do they need to see to respect him?

#9 ·
Whats a good starting QB worth these days?
Most likely the most the EAGLES will get for Nick is a 3rd round pick.
Reunited with his old coordinator as the head coach it could be a good fit for the Panthers and buy a couple years to develop a good draft pick QB for down the line.

#10 ·
I know 25 million sounds like a crazy number but consider this....

Jimmy Garapolo will make over 61 million for the 2018-2019 seasons

Matt Stafford earned 26.5 million for 2018

Derek Carr earned 25 million for 2018

Kirk Cousins earned 24 million for 2018

Andrew Luck earned 24 million for 2018

What do they all have in common besides the fact they are all millionaires? None have won a super bowl. Heck, Garapolo never played a full nfl season!

#11 ·
When is the last time Foles played a full season?

25 Million for a back up QB is steep. also for a 3rd round draft pick. However it is good money if it keeps him out of the NFC and even more so if it keeps him out of the NFC east.

I think the tag if given to him would be the organization helping him get a good deal where ever he ends up. Right now we know his asking price is at least 22 Million. With the tag it goes to at least 25 million. This is a thank you and a good business decision by the Eagles. Waugh!

#13 ·
The EAGLES kind of put it to Nick by picking up his option instead of just franchise tagging him from the beginning. This would have avoided Foles buying out his option and saving him 2 million dollars. So they did right by paying him a mil. incentive he fell short of by being injured but took it back and got him for another million to trade him.

#15 ·
I havn't seen any confirmed reports of a franchise tag being applied
just lots of speculation and hearsay.

just keep in mind a franchise tag can be applied today and retracted tomorrow.
if the tag is applied it will be with foles knowledge.

both of these parties know how the business works
and I think all parties want to do right by eachother
despite what it looks like to outward observers

#16 ·
If they do tag Nick and no deals materialize the EAGLES are screwed for next season since they don't have the cap space to play a 25 million dollar game of chicken. They have to many other holes to plug.
Nobody can sign Nick anyhow till after March 13 so we will see what happens.
I would bet he ends up in Jacksonville and teams like the Redskins and Giants know the EAGLES will do anything....except pay Nick 25 Mil to ride the bench , to keep him from going to them.

#25 ·
Morning sports radio call ins are saying the EAGLES blew a shot at a #2 pick by not tagging him and they could have traded him of to the Browns......, glad they didnt do that to Nick.
EAGLES did the right thing, but they could have also done the same thing by not picking up his option and making him buy out for 2 Mil.
JMO I think March 13th Nick will be handed a deal with Jacksonville, which is already good enough with him as QB to make it to the Super Bowl.

#28 ·
JMO I think March 13th Nick will be handed a deal with Jacksonville, which is already good enough with him as QB to make it to the Super Bowl.

The Jags have a quality defense that is Super Bowl worthy but their offense is a mess. Fournette (always injured) seems like he could care less about football and Yeldon hasn’t shown much of anything in his time there. Their receivers haven’t shown anything but I’ll give them a pass, for now, because their QB’s have been bad. Maybe Foles can put some life in them but that remains to be seen. It may be a death penalty for him to go there but he’ll be well compensated, I’m sure.

Just to repeat myself, Eagles fans will tell their grandchildren about the time St. Nick won the Birds a Super Bowl. :thumbs:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.