Ball carriers leading with their helmet!!!!!!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Ball carriers leading with their helmet!!!!!!!!!

steelerfan58 mentioned this in the Steelers thread but I feel it is a topic that needs dicussed on its own.

Ever since the "leading with the helmet" rule has been an issue, it has bugged the heck out of me that there is no penalty for the player with the ball, basically doing the same. How can they justify a difference? There is none whatsoever.

Watching the Steelers game last night, I think it was the first series Washington had the ball, the RB at the last second dips his head and you can see he blatantly is using his head as a battering ram. I played football in high school and college - always on defense. You knew after the first running play if the RB was this style of runner. I used to say, "Ok, you want to play like this - it's on!" First chance I got, I gave him one on his ear hole. That's where it hurts.

The rule in football is "get lower than the guy you are tackling." How can you not have a defensive player hit helmet to helmet, when the ball carrier is just above knee level with his head? Jump on his back and ride him like Sea Bisquit????

Oh and by the way... what's up with kicking from the 35???? Unless you are playing in a dome, tell me wind direction isn't going to be a sole game changing factor this year!??!!

Genesis 27:3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Sage

Re: Ball carriers leading with their helmet!!!!!!!!!

I agree Ken... What really gets me is, say a running back or receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass, lowers his head after the reception and is drilled by a middle linebacker, safety or CB helmet to helmet.... Does the defense get penalized?

Where have you been? I had to work late... Oh these? Yeah, it was 'camo day' at work again .
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Yep. The field would / will be littered with yellow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It all upsets me. I think your going to see neck injuries to defensive players rise. Football players are taught from day one to hit with their head up, which leads to helmet to helmet contact, now they are being called for head contact so they will start dropping their heads which leads to broken necks.

Football is a contact sport and injuries occur if you don't want to risk it don't play.

I actually saw a player from the Bengals wave to the training staff, look to see if there was a flag, after he saw the flag he jumped up and sprinted to the sideline.

WHEN HUNTING THE LOWS ARE LOW AND THE HIGHS JUST AREN'T HIGH ENOUGH : LISIZNIE
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 03:23 AM

HATE them kicking from the 35. what pro kicker can't kick 65 yarks into the end zone? might as well just start the offense on the 20 as a rule. as far as leading with the helmet...i dont have as much a problem with that as I do with defensive backs launching themselves at defenseless receivers. too many highlight real players out there. wrap up for goodness sakes, come on!

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

ch..ch..ch..*click*..BOOM
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy
I agree Ken... What really gets me is, say a running back or receiver goes over the middle to catch a pass, lowers his head after the reception and is drilled by a middle linebacker, safety or CB helmet to helmet.... Does the defense get penalized?
That was exactly what happened to Harrison on the Massaquoi hit last year, and he got fined 75k by the idiot commissioner.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Castle
HATE them kicking from the 35. what pro kicker can't kick 65 yarks into the end zone? might as well just start the offense on the 20 as a rule. as far as leading with the helmet...i dont have as much a problem with that as I do with defensive backs launching themselves at defenseless receivers. too many highlight real players out there. wrap up for goodness sakes, come on!
Receivers know the risk when they go across the middle. In some instances, I have a problem with launching yourself into a guys head, like Brandon Meriweather of the Patriots did to Todd Heap last year. But the rule has gone too far. At this point, a defensive player can lie down on the ground, and if an offensive player falls on his and taps his helmet, it is 15 yards for the offense. You know it's getting to be too much when guys like Asante Samuel get fined by the league for hitting too hard. Perhaps some offenses need a refresher course with Vince Lombardi giving the "Men, this is a football" speech. It is a physical, collision sport when played properly. Though I appreciate good offensive play, I don't need to see Brady and Manning play catch in shorts for 60 minutes, but it seems that this is exactly what Roger wants the game to become.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBuck
steelerfan58 mentioned this in the Steelers thread but I feel it is a topic that needs dicussed on its own.

Ever since the "leading with the helmet" rule has been an issue, it has bugged the heck out of me that there is no penalty for the player with the ball, basically doing the same. How can they justify a difference? There is none whatsoever.

Watching the Steelers game last night, I think it was the first series Washington had the ball, the RB at the last second dips his head and you can see he blatantly is using his head as a battering ram. I played football in high school and college - always on defense. You knew after the first running play if the RB was this style of runner. I used to say, "Ok, you want to play like this - it's on!" First chance I got, I gave him one on his ear hole. That's where it hurts.

The rule in football is "get lower than the guy you are tackling." How can you not have a defensive player hit helmet to helmet, when the ball carrier is just above knee level with his head? Jump on his back and ride him like Sea Bisquit????

Oh and by the way... what's up with kicking from the 35???? Unless you are playing in a dome, tell me wind direction isn't going to be a sole game changing factor this year!??!!
BTW, I find that running style to be awesome, and football as God intended it to be, and I don't want to see that taken away. From the time you start playing pee wee football, they tell you to put your head down and plow ahead. But I find it woefully unfair that you can use the helmet to hurt people if you play offense, but not if you play defense.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:04 PM

Wait until Larry Fitzgerald catches a ball and a defensive player takes out his knee and ends his career because he is terrified of getting flagged, fined and suspended for hitting too high. And why is it OK for a running back to cut a blitzing linebacker at the knees. That LB is watching the QB, and the running back makes him choose between doing his job or protecting himself from a possible career ending injury. But it is not OK to make a WR choose between making a catch or avoiding a headache?

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

steelerfan - The style of "running low to the ground" is one thing - Yes, that is how you should run. What I am / was referring to is THE LAST second going from a 45 degree tilt of the body to a 15 degree angle just to use that 30 degrees to use your helmet as a hammer. Literally, less than a second, changing your body angle. That is not the style of running I agree with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page