The Official 2018 Pirates Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

The Official 2018 Pirates Thread

DON'T SHOOT THE POSTER

Welcome to the Official 2018 Pirates thread. This thread is for talking all things Buccos; predictions, highs, lows, and everything in between. I know it is hard to care one bit about this team after a trying off season but I have been a faithful my whole life and I can't stop now. This has been a bad off season and the FO makes it increasingly harder to give a rats gluteus maximus but I love baseball and the Pirates have always been my team.

I am interested in seeing how this year goes and the fun back and forth with my fellow HPAers.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:45 PM

As a fellow Nutting hater I agree, not going to turn me off of baseball and there's no other team I feel like rooting for. As a baseball fan though, been following the league wide free agency drama and couldn't be more tickled at what's going on there. I think ole Scotty Boras finally shot himself in the foot and the changes we'll see in free agency are only going to help small market teams in the next few years. Going to result in labor strife in the short term, but you gotta see it as the first step towards a cap, which any sport interested in parity for the good of their overall product needs to think about long and hard.

The Dickerson trade was significantly redemptive from my view. I still don't think they got the return they should have for Cole, but if you look at the net of those three trades I am not unsatisfied with the return in the aggregate. Our outfield, despite Cutch being a fan favorite, is in all honesty probably better off than before depending how you value defense. I think ridding your clubhouse of Cole as a known toxic personality and feeling like Cutch was in a place where he almost seemed to need a change of scenery as well, I think some of the doom and gloom out of trading those two is unwarranted.

I've kind of fallen off the wagon and not really followed the prospects as closely as I used to. I know Meadows and Keller have some upside but beyond that we are going to need some more help in the lineup and on the mound if we are going to retool and compete instead of gearing for our next playoff run in 2037.

I guess I am cautiously optimistic and predict 85 wins this season. I think our offense is sufficient and there wasn't much pitching help available that many people think would have put us over the hump anyway. Timing can be everything in sports. Unfortunately, as good as Milwaukee and Chicago are and with the Reds quickly on the upswing, the greatest downfall of the Pirates run in the 2010's and their hopes over the next few years, besides the frugal owner maybe, or maybe not blowing a chance to win one, may simply be timing. Bumgarner and Arrieta in their absolute unbeatable primes in back to back wildcards, I mean come on, that's how Caps fans feel, right?

Feels like you can't talk about the upcoming season without mentioning the Yankees. Second only to wanting to see the Pirates win the crown is my desire NOT to see the Yanks ever win one again. But man, Judge and Stanton back to back? That's the kind of stuff I'll be telling my grandkids about in several decades. Very duplicitous feeling because I'll probably tune into the Yanks every time they are on TV this year but hate that there is a system where that kind of talent can be bought (as opposed to won in a loser's lottery a la Sid and Geno, of course).
Backwoods likes this.

Last edited by elk yinzer; 03-16-2018 at 02:51 PM.
post #3 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
DON'T SHOOT THE POSTER

Welcome to the Official 2018 Pirates thread. This thread is for talking all things Buccos; predictions, highs, lows, and everything in between. I know it is hard to care one bit about this team after a trying off season but I have been a faithful my whole life and I can't stop now. This has been a bad off season and the FO makes it increasingly harder to give a rats gluteus maximus but I love baseball and the Pirates have always been my team.

I am interested in seeing how this year goes and the fun back and forth with my fellow HPAers.

Quote:
Feels like you can't talk about the upcoming season without mentioning the Yankees. Second only to wanting to see the Pirates win the crown is my desire NOT to see the Yanks ever win one again. But man, Judge and Stanton back to back? That's the kind of stuff I'll be telling my grandkids about in several decades. Very duplicitous feeling because I'll probably tune into the Yanks every time they are on TV this year but hate that there is a system where that kind of talent can be bought (as opposed to won in a loser's lottery a la Sid and Geno, of course).

If you can't excited about that, you don't love the game. I think there will be records made there that'll make the Bash Brothers look like minor leaguer's.

" Put that smell down. Won't come around without that smell."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If their starting pitching holds up,notice i said IF they may be in the WC hunt till the end. Ive watched 4 or 5 spring training games and some of the new faces may turn out to be good trades just have to wait and see how it plays out. Also Marte and Polonco need to step up bigtime,but still alot of Ifs just my opinion.
post #5 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Opening Day! They are expecting rain most of the day in Detroit so I don't know if they'll get the game in but first pitch is scheduled for 1:10 PM

There are a lot of IFs with this team. I believe this roster is good enough to compete and hover around .500. I don't see them making a WC, too many other teams took a step forward. The Brewers, another small market, managed to make some very good moves in the off season and be pretty good this year. Cincy is in rebuild mode but appear ahead of schedule and could be a contender as early as next year. The Bucs aren't going that way unfortunately but for this year at least I think they remain competitive.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #6 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 07:14 PM

No optimistic. The tanking of your #1 and #2 greatest assets without real talent replacements is tough going, no matter how the young'un's proceed. Going on the cheap and ranking below the basement in spending means 2 things in baseball. Empty stands, and tee times earlier than the rest of the league. Sad but true. I can see them finishing dead last in our division or losing 90+ games, our starting pitching rotation is suspect as well as our bull pen. I am never a big fan of pre season stats but they looked like they were overmatched a lot and I hope I am wrong in this but who will be the leader of this team now?

Sorry boys, not liking how they gutted that team.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #7 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:05 PM

Extra innings!😠

Making it tuffer the it needs to be.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #8 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:35 PM

Out at the plate!

Going to 11th!

Pence/Putin 2024
post #9 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:18 PM

Ok, 13th now

Pence/Putin 2024
post #10 of 163 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 06:29 PM
The Man

As disgusted as I am with watching Triple A baseball in this city for the past 25 years, I swore that I would not watch this team this year until there was a new owner and a sustained commitment to winning games.

Yet here I sit watching as Polanco just hit the three run homer. We'll see if they can hold this lead. Go Bucs!!! (But Detroit is projected to be a 100 loss team this year.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page