nhl realignment - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

nhl realignment

one of the rumors being thrown around about teams being moved around in a realignment.

Atlantic: Flyers, Islanders, Devils, Rangers, Bruins

Northeast: Maple Leafs, Canadiens, Senators, Red Wings, Sabres

Southeast: Caps, Hurricanes, Lightning, Penguins, Panthers

Central: Wild, Blues, Blackhawks, Blue Jackets, Predators

Northwest: Canucks, Winnipeg/Manitoba, Oilers, Flames, Avalanche

Pacific (same): Stars, Sharks, Kings, Ducks, Coyote

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Re: nhl realignment

They're only going to realign if Atlanta moves to Winnepeg(or anywhere else in the West). If that happens the East looks to have two pretty stout divisions....Atlantic #1 and Southeast #2.....Detroit will mop up the Northeast every year for a long time though! I won't go into the West much since I don't watch those teams very much or enough to know their strength....the whole Western Conference looks kind of weak to me though.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM

I don't see a realignment happening but those would be some interesting moves to make.

Pens vs Caps as a regular divisional matchup would be fun to watch a few times a year.
I heard talk a few weeks ago about bringing Detroit back to the East. Considering their recent playoffs I am sure they would favor it.
The Central and Northwest wouldn't be very strong and the Pacific is already a decent division.

The overall suggested realignment in the East is nice and it creates some fun divisional matchups.

We just have to wait and see now.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:35 PM

The only thing I heard was Atlanta to Winnepeg and to the west and Detroit to the east.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:37 AM

I'd hate to see us leave the same division as the Cryers. The trade the Western Conf is making is lopsided as the Hershel Walker trade. Get Atlanta/Winnipeg, but lose Detroit?

Were not going to apologize for caring. Were not.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

rumor has it that detroit hates the start times and lost revenue with the current setup.

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
For the sake of argument, what franchises in any sport would thrive:
under these specific conditions:
-First draft pick ever was a meteoric bust.
-Your first young star kills a teammate and then demands out.
-Your first line center puts up a 90 point season. You refuse to resign him and instead sign Steve Rucchin.
-You trade for another young star to get into the playoffs.
-You get swept in said playoffs after trying to build the team around two players.
-You trade one of the two players not even a season afterwards. The players turn on the coach.
-Even though your GM wants to get "grittier" and more North American post-lockout, you demand him to sign older, european free agents.
-Lie flat-out about losing money and saying that you've been looking to sell the team since 2005, which would mean you're trying to sell the team not even a year after purchasing it.
-You must tell one of your STHs airing legitimate concerns to "deal with it" at an open house meeting.
-You must completely hate the prospect of future hockey in Atlanta.

If you agree to these conditions, congratulations! You are now a member of Atlanta Spirit LLC, the current owner (and soon to be seller) of the Atlanta Thrashers, and most likely, they're killing every hope of hockey in Georgia for generations to come. Not since Wirtz-era blackhawks have one singular ownership just salted the earth in terms of hockey interest. Contrary to popular opinion, there is a fanbase here. Breaking attendance records for an expansion team proved that. Only dropping below 15k attendance on average two times in the span of 8 years (this 8 years containing no playoff wins whatsoever). When the team did show promise, they showed up and in droves:

But ASG is going to wash that all away. Unless local buyers can come up big, they're going to sell this team to TNSE, meaning it moves to Winnipeg. And just like Winnipeg, and QC, and Hartford back in the day, it was through no fault of our own.

If the team moves, the discontent shouldn't be directed at Atlanta fans, it should be directed at Atlanta Spirit Group for driving every semblance of hope for this franchise into the ground.

We in Atlanta just want you guys to know that there are fans here, and this could have worked, but because of front office malpractice (ASG, Thrasher front office, NHL turning a blind eye while bending over backwards for bankrupt Phoenix), this will most be the last season we see NHL hockey in Atlanta, because there's no way Bettman is coming back for a 3rd try. For some... people, that's amazing news, but for us here, it's the worst feeling in the world.
I really feel bad for the Thrashers fan base.

Those who give up liberty in exchange for security will gain neither and lose both-Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 AM

That is a shame. The sports guys on radio want us to believe that people wont show up. Nobody ever wants to admit managerial incompetence.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchestercounty
rumor has it that detroit hates the start times and lost revenue with the current setup.
That may be true, but they had better think long and hard about trying to make this happen. They play in a much weaker conference now, which helps them get into the playoffs. They are an older team, and I'm not sure they want to play eastern hockey night in and night out. The physical toll will be high.

Were not going to apologize for caring. Were not.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:53 AM

It was reported last night that the sale of the Thrashers was complete and the move was forth coming however Gary Bettman disputes that today.

I feel bad for real Thrasher fans but not for Atlanta. This was the NHL's second go around down there (I believe) and both time the fans didn't support the team. They average just over 13,000 people per game which is ranked 28th in the league.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page