Penguins Free Agents. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Penguins Free Agents.

What do you think?

Max Talbot - Honestly......you kinda stink but I am paying you the league max to stay if I have to. You are a Pittsburgh legend and even if I have to make a stupid business move I am keeping him. He's not only a hard player but he is also asset to the city and a mad charity fund raising person. The thought of Max in another jersey is like thinking of my wife with another guy. Curdles the blood. He stays!

Pascal Dupuis - If he is willing to take the same money I would keep him. He's in the prime of his career and plays a nice two way game. Capable of playing the 1st-4th lines and is an awesome penalty killing. I wouldn't give him more then an incremenetal raise though. Although a good role player he is replacable.

Adams - Great Penalty killer and I'd keep him for similar money if he wants to stay.

Mike Rupp - Again, as long as it's not a big raise I am keeping him. Perfect 4th liner and able to handle the rough stuff.

Arron Asham - He was good when he was on the ice but I think I am letting him go unless he wants the same contract again....1 year for a little money.

Kovy - I didn't think he was terrible, he just didn't score. Either way I'm not resigning him for any cost. I respect him though as he was a Pen for a long time and a very good one at that.

Tyler Kennedy - Unfortunaley unless he gives up a hometown discount I dont see us being any to keep him. 20 goals is a decent pay plateau up there with Chris Kunitz. I hope he does but I think we'll be playing against him next year. I'll miss this long time Pen like I miss Ryan Malone....a lot.

Comrie - Not even for the league minimum.

Goddard - If we keep Rupp and skate England unfortunately there is no need to sign Goddard. I'm filling his spot on the roster with a better roll player. England could knock him out anyhow .

Dustin Jeffery - I am inking him to a long term contract of at least 4 years. Now is the time to sign him before he breaks out and I see it coming soon. Sign him now and keep him around for a while. He has 25+ goals written all over him.

Chris Conner - Despite the fact that he totally blew that penalty shot in the playoffs I say we sign him also to at least a 3 year deal. With TK most likely leaving I would think Connor would be good fit for the Riddlin Kid roll on the team. Plus after a terrible playoff series you are never going to get him any cheaper.

That's it, everyone else is signed but that is like all of our role players. I really think we only need minute changes to the lineup to compete for the cup next year. We need health more then upgrades. I also think a lot of the upgrades will come from within the org from guys like Tangradi, Letestu, Jefferies, Despre, and Nick Johnson as they all improve and grow. As long as we get healthy i think the team is in superb shape heading into next year. The only other thing that I am adding is a Power Play coach without question. Paul Coffey said he wants to do it and they should take him up on it. One of the best QB's of all time right there. I also hope that Kris Letang practices like crazy during the off season cause I blame most of the PP difficulties on him. His inability to shoot accurtely from the point made teams totally collapse on the goal on the PP. They never respected the point shot like they did with Gonch. It's really his last remaining weakness. Fix it!

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Penguins Free Agents.

keep ...duper ,max,rupp,jeffreys conner and tk..adams to..kovy hit the road...stay away from Jagr...ton of great young talent...trade Malkin.....just never thought he was all that...in the cup he had points but what happen after that not much at all

Come and try to take my guns!.you might meet my precious metal collection!
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:44 AM

The PP was horrible with Gonch too-that's why we could let him go. I don't care if Conner stays. Dude can't finish. Speed combined with no other discernible talent is like Godard, but far less entertaining. About Godard--Rupp isn't an enforcer. He can fight, but he's not an enforcer. He's actually pretty valuable of a player too. Engelland has what it takes, but I have said this before, I really don't like a d man as an enforcer. Losing 1/12 of your forwards is far less hurtful than losing 1/6 of your defensemen. Not to mention, Bylsma seemed to start hating on Engelland and Godard after the Islanders took his cajones and he turned the team from leading the league in fight majors to a team that was almost unwilling to drop them. On the upside, Engo played some forward in the minors, so he possibly could be moved. Bring up Simon Despres. Trade Puppy Fur and Kitten Fur for a warm 6 pack to the Siberia Scavengers in the KHL, neither deserve to play in the NHL. I'm not sure either had a hit in the TB series. NOT ACCEPTABLE. I can't blame Letang on the PP. It is a fundamental system failure. When you have Crosby, Malkin and Letang, 3 All Stars, and your PP is still terrible, it isn't the players. Bylsma sometimes gets way too smart and creative for his own good. Look at the Red Wings PP. It has been operating the same way for 10 years at least. Look at the Caps PP. Stick guy in front of net, Ovie blasts away. Malkin can do that. They need size. Tangradi has potential for this job, but as of now, it has all been unrealized potential. And you MUST sign Talbot. Max is a good whatever it takes guy, and he is one of the best playoff guys we have. The X factor IMO is what they intend to do with Cooke. I'd like to see him stay, as I think he is a good locker room guy, a good guy off the ice, and is excellent at what he does, and as an added bonus, is a decent hockey player. I shudder to think that we could be without Adams,Rupp,Asham, Talbot and Godard. They need a true enforcer, but one who can play, whatever the salary. Every team will be sucker punching Sid in the head ASAP. First, you gotta find out if he's healed, and second, until they fix the PP, an enforcer is the only deterrent. Not to mention, if it happens, that guy needs to go to intensive care right away.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 01:48 PM

[quote=Trout 2003]What do you think?

Max Talbot
Pascal Dupuis
Adams
Mike Rupp
<s>Arron Asham</s>
<s>Kovy</s>
Tyler Kennedy
<s>Comrie</s>
Goddard
Dustin Jeffery
<s>Chris Conner</s>

Talbot is a role player and isn't easily replaced.

Dupuis is streaky, but he's a workhorse. Stone hands, but he's gotta stay.

Adams - see Dupuis w/o the scoring

Rupp will stay for the same money.

Goddard works cheap....keep him. We'll need him at least for the beginning of next season.

Jeffery is new talent. Develop and plug in.

I'll take Kennedy over Conner....I don't think we can have both.

Asham, Kovalev & Comrie can all go. Asham would be the only one I'd maybe want to keep and you won't have to do much talking to convince me to let him go.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 02:38 PM

Looks like I am the only one ok with letting Talbot go. I agree with everything you guys said except that a role player isn't easily replaced. Role players all over this league. We went through this same thing when Colby Armstrong was around.....the big difference being Colby scored goals.
Role players are easily found, every team in the league has them. You can go to any NHL city and ask who their teams role player is. They all have someone like Max that is a grinder, a workhorse, and just all around good guy on and off the ice. Max is a great locker room presence and is good for the city of Pittsburgh but the Pens need to spend wisely this off season and I am not convinced Max is where they should spend it.

As far as the other guys Dupuis, Adams, Kennedy, Conor, Asham, and Jeffery should all stay. If they can afford them I don't know.
I would like Rupp to stay too but not at the top of my list. Kovy, Comrie, Talbot, Goddard all go.

Someone mentioned trading Malkin (also mentioned not that impressed by him either). I don't see it happening however I am not against it. In my opinion Malkin will have a great season next year. It will be the first time since his Art Ross year that he has skated with TWO healthy knees. I think the surgery was the best thing for him and once he is fully recovered will go back to the 35+ goal performancess from earlier in his career.
All that said, I like Malkin and hope he doesn't go anywhere but trading him frees up a ton of cap space and you know Shero would get a great player in return. Malkin for Rick Nash maybe.....I would take that.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I would like Rupp to stay too but not at the top of my list. Kovy, Comrie, Talbot, Goddard all go.
This + Conor

Those who give up liberty in exchange for security will gain neither and lose both-Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Me too, there is not a chance on earth that I would get rid of Malkin right now. I think there is a real good chance that he will be as good or better then he was before when everyone was saying he's the best player on the team and not Crosby (Yes, there was that time lol). He'll be unstoppable again next year with two good knees.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 06:52 PM

Malkin isn't going anywhere. Between this and last season he's done squat. Hopefully the surgery and off time/rehab bring him back into form. He's always seemed lazy to me though. Never seemed to have a whole lot of 'extra' push....more of an 'oh well' attitude. I can't stand that in a professional athlete....especially a top tier guy like Malkin.

As to the role players....sure, there's role players on every team. They are a dime a dozen, but they're all different too. Part of the thing with Talbot is his extreme likability....face it, the guy is everybody's best friend(sans current opponent). Be that fans or media or teammates or the bum on the corner. It's tough to replace that if nothing else. How much that comes into play in the locker room or on the ice or whatever is anyone's guess though.

This season is probably not a great one to judge anything on in reality though. Staal was overworked from the time he stepped on the ice in the WC. Crosby out for 1/2. Malkin out for 1/2. A revolving door of Baby Pens filling in for injured NHL guys. Non producing pick-ups. Fundamentally bad PP. Suspensions. Coach going soft after 'that game' in NY.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 07:50 PM

I am not disputing what he does for this team or this city. He is very likable. However this season he played a career high in games and has little to show for it other than a career high in SOG and a career low shot percentage (6.8%). His value off the ice is tremendous but in my opinion not worth pursuing. That said he has been a valuable member of this team for 6 years and I would like him to stay but he has to understand that he is low priority and he has to take whatever they offer him.

Just like Geurin took over for Roberts and Max took over for Colby so too will someone else take over for Max. Likable or not I just can't see the Pens making a play to keep him unless he agrees to take what ever money is left after they sign key free agents.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Likable or not I just can't see the Pens making a play to keep him unless he agrees to take what ever money is left after they sign key free agents.

This is a business move he either takes a pay cut or he's gone.

Those who give up liberty in exchange for security will gain neither and lose both-Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page