Pens talking with Jagr - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Pens talking with Jagr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Madden
Be careful what you wish for
Thursday 05-12-2011 4:06pm ET

Now that the Penguins are trying to renew the team's relationship with Jaromir Jagr (starting with a golf outing and building toward a ceremony to retire Jagr's number), some are calling for the Penguins to sign Jagr for one final season.

OK, fine. But you've got to decide: Do you want Jagr and the Penguins to reconnect on a legend-franchise level, or do you want him to play in Pittsburgh again? Because unless, at 39, he performs like a superstar, you can't have both.

What if Jagr plays again, and STINKS? Or shows some of the petulance that marred his first run with the Penguins? You'd BOO, right?

That would certainly be a unique way to create anticipation for the night No. 68 gets raised to the ceiling.

The debate is moot, anyway. Jagr's not going to play for the Penguins again, and probably not in the NHL. At his age, Jagr must maximize his income. He can make more in Russia. The KHL's 54-game season will lengthen his career.

Jagr looks great in the ongoing IIHF World Championships, sure. But that's men's league no-check hockey compared to the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Would Jagr be worth a try at $2m per season? Sure. But why would Jagr take $2m per season when much, much more is available elsewhere? Jagr once made noise about giving Mario one season at the league minimum. He won't. He was kidding.

I would LOVE to see No. 68 twirling around the ice at Consol Energy Center. But the best we can hope for is those digits ultimately nestling in the rafters there.

Time to dispel one major Jagr myth:

When Jagr said he was "dying alive," he was referring to misery caused by playing poorly, not over being in Pittsburgh. That quote is frequently dredged up to illustrate how Jagr supposedly quit on the Penguins.

Over 11 seasons with the Penguins, Jagr scored 98 points per. He averaged 1.05 points per playoff game. In 2000-01, Jagr's final campaign in Pittsburgh - the season when you'd assume his melancholy would peak - he had 52 goals and 69 assists.

All that begs the question: WHEN, EXACTLY, DID JAGR QUIT ON THE PENGUINS?

Immature? Yes. Quirky? No doubt.

But I saw Jagr - playing with a torturous groin injury - single-handedly beat top-seeded New Jersey in the first round of the 1999 playoffs. Jagr choked back tears after games because the pain was so bad. Jagr tied Game 6 late, then won it in overtime. He had two assists in Game 7. That display of will was as magnificent as anything Mario Lemieux ever conjured.

Jagr occasionally mailed in a meaningless regular-season game. But under pressure, he was BRILLIANT. Jagr never quit on the Penguins. To say so is insulting, and inaccurate.
I understand he's not the 18 year old kid he was when he came to us, but, and I know I'm just dreaming out loud, he would be at least an upgrade over anyone who plays with Sid. I would think Jags can still be a decent finisher, and he knows how to play with gifted centers.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM

Re: Pens talking with Jagr

Quote:
Ray Shero, the general manager of the Pittsburgh Penguins and a member of the U.S. team’s advisory group, watched Jagr’s masterful performance Wednesday at Orange Arena.

“It’s almost impossible to fathom,” Shero said about Jagr’s hat trick, where each goal demonstrated a different skill. “Playing here must be special for him. The Czechs have a good team. He’s one of their leaders and the reason they’re undefeated.”

But could Jagr, who lost favor with the Penguins and their fans when he asked to be traded in 2001, return to Pittsburgh for a chance to play with the team’s latest superstar, Sidney Crosby?

“Jagr is a guy who is part of the Penguins family and always will be forever,” Shero said. “He was drafted by the Penguins, grew up as a Penguin and won Stanley Cups with the Penguins. The relations that he had with guys like Mario and Craig Patrick,” the team’s former general manager, “is really special. We don’t want him to forget that because we certainly haven’t forgotten him.”

Shero also said that Jagr has been invited to a summer golf outing with Lemieux and his former teammates to commemorate the 20th anniversary of their 1991 Stanley Cup championship.

When asked directly whether he wanted Jagr with the team, Shero responded, “Can we at least start with the golf tournament? That would be great.”

“The fans in Pittsburgh, they all wanted to help me and they all liked me when I was younger,” Jagr said. “Plus, the biggest thing is I had a chance to watch and play with the best player ever, and that’s probably the best thing that’s happened to me in my life.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/14/sp...EY14.html?_r=1

Those who give up liberty in exchange for security will gain neither and lose both-Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM

He's too old! I don't really care what he did or could have done or anything about the past. He's too old and would easily get beat up playing fast north/south hockey in the first month of the regular season let alone a playoff run...especially a deep run.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM

He is old but I think he could still handle the game at the NHL level. He probably does put too high a value on himself to sign in the NHL. By that I don't mean that he is self-centered I mean that since the KHL is willing to dish out tens of millions he probably feels he is worth tens of millions.

I think he can still play and he may still bring something to the table for the Penguins. Would I like to see if him and Sid or him and Geno have some magic? Heck yea I would and if the money was right I would say go for it. What is the worst that happens, it doesn't work and you call up Billy Guerin to go at it.

Speaking of, Geurin still played at a relatively high level at the same age a Jagr and that is virtually an apples to oranges comparison. Jagr has clearly kept in shape and still loves the game. I think he would be an assest and probably still able to net 25+ goals.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:07 PM
The Man

I saw all I wanted to see of a late 30's, former Pens star Winger this past season.

I don't think Jagr would make it through an entire season in the NHL. Would we even be discussing this if he hadn't pulled the Hat Trick the other day?

Instagram : @The_Trailcamologist_
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 PM

For the right price I would take him back in a second! He'd get about 15-17 minutes of ice a game but would need to be paid for that. It's a mega long shot for that to happen though. I really think we are just talking about him signing a contract and immediately retiring as a Pen which is how it should be. I never hated that guy. He gave us 10-11 unreal years and was loved. His mistake was opening his mouth ever. Had he just left it would have been just fine. Either way he is the second best player to every wear a Pens uniform. Malkin and Crosby couldnt carry his jock in his prime (though they are not yet in their prime yet and I think they will both be better). He was simply the best offensive player in the game over a 6 year period. We truely have been blessed as Pens fans no doubt.
post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 08:31 PM
The Man

I think he would perform like Kovie...50/50!!

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:10 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MQ-1
I think he would perform like Kovie...50/50!!
50% effort for 50 minutes. Stay away, 40 is just too old.

“did you get all that on camera sport?”
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
He's too old! I don't really care what he did or could have done or anything about the past. He's too old and would easily get beat up playing fast north/south hockey in the first month of the regular season let alone a playoff run...especially a deep run.
Gary Roberts was older. If Jags would want paid like he's the 1993 Jagr, then no.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

mark friggin recchi .....it cant hurt.....could it?

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page