Steelers 2017-2018 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 196Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Steelers 2017-2018

There's only two more practices in Steelers' training camp.

I'm just hoping for no more injuries during the pre-season (and regular season, for that matter).

Hopefully Bell will report soon. It almost certainly will be after camp is over.

The most intriguing camp battle is at wide receiver.

It's pretty obvious that Brown, Bryant, Smith-Shuster, and Rogers will make the team. I think they will keep six wide receivers.
I think Coates, Hunter, and Heyward-Bey are competing for the remaining two spots. For Coates, it will depend on if he catches the ball in the pre-season games. If not, he'll get cut. I don't see Hamilton making the team, even though he had a decent game against the Giants.

Another interesting battle is who will be the third string RB. Bell and Conner will obviously be #1 and #2. I think Toussaint is a better back from scrimmage than Davis but Davis is a better kick returner. That is a close contest.

I think the Steelers' deepest position group is the offensive line, followed by the defensive line.

The groups that concern me the most are the secondary and inside linebacker. It hurts that Sutton is hurt. Hopefully he is back soon. Burns and Davis need to continue to improve. I don't buy into the rumor that the Steelers will trade for Trumaine Johnson of the Rams. He makes $ 17 million/year. His salary is too large and they would have to give up a high draft pick. They are also not going to sign Darrelle Revis. If he could still play, he would have been signed already.

The inside linebacker group is suspect. Shazier is the only one that is good at covering the pass and he's been injury prone his whole career.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers add an ILB or CB that gets cut by another team for the depth.

Their second pre-season game is Sunday. I'm sure Roethlisberger, Brown, Pouncey, and several other starters will not play. Bryant will play because he's been out for a year. Coates will most likely play, as will Conner. Dobbs will likely start as Landry Jones is out with an abdominal injury.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I know it's only pre-season, but the Steelers defense looked awful yesterday. Most of the starters played the first three series and they allowed a TD and two FGs (it should have been 2 TDs because an easy pass was dropped in the end zone).

Shazier, Dupree, Harrison, and Mitchell didn't play.

Nice to see Bryant back at WR, though he is obviously rusty.
post #3 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Bell needs to quit whatever game he is playing and get into character. The defense needs to figure out if they are even going to show up and 4 games worth of preseason is too much.

Not optimistic about our ability to stop teams yet. I think they will be able to score on anyone but this is not the Patriots, giving up 39 but scoring 45 is not in this team.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Bell isn't going to play in any preseason games. He's training hard and is no doubt in great shape, but I wonder if he will be in football shape.

The third preseason game is generally the one where the starters play longer. So Roethlisberger and Brown will likely play. Just hoping for no more injuries.
post #5 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM

The only thing that will hold back the offense, barring injuries, is the play calling. Enough of the 60 yard bombs on 2 and 1. Run the best play you have to get the yardage you need to keep the ball moving. Time of possession is important against teams that have good offenses. You have to keep their best players on the bench.

Defense will still struggle a bit I think. But then again, coaching will have a lot to do with it. If they are going to call soft zone coverage against good offenses like they did in the AFCCG then they will struggle again.
post #6 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

The Steelers defense, particularly the secondary, was awful again last night. I don't think Cockrell will get cut, but it's possible Sutton will be starting earlier than thought. Golden has been horrendous the whole preseason and I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut.

There are no required cuts after the third preseason game like there used to be but teams will probably cut a few guys.

As for the offense, the primary questions is still who will be the third running back and who will be the fifth and sixth receivers they keep.

I expect the Patriots will pick up a slot receiver since Edelman is out for the year.
post #7 of 624 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

The Browns cut CB Joe Haden, who apparently turned down higher offers from three teams to sign with the Steelers.

He's been injury prone the last two years but he's only 28. He's still better than all their CBs except for possibly Burns. I wonder which CB who was going to make the team will get cut.

They also traded for a TE from the Niners. When the Steelers have traded mid and late round picks recently, it hasn't worked out well; Boykin, Scobee, and Gilbert were all bad trades.

Last edited by Trout Traveler; 08-30-2017 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 624 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Steelers made three trades in addition to the roster cuts.

They traded for McDonald, an athletic TE from the Niners.

They traded Coates to the Browns for a sixth round pick.

They traded Cockrell to the Giants for a conditional draft pick.

As for the cuts, the most noteworthy were:

Cut Knile Davis and Toussaint and kept Watson, who was by far more productive in the preseason.

Cut David Johnson. I thought they might cut Grimble, who is a better receiver but a much worse blocker.

They kept nine offensive lineman.

They kept McCullers who has been a disappointment .

They kept seven CBs instead of six. Sutton reinjured his hamstring and may have to go on S/T IR.

They also cut the long snapper they drafted.
post #9 of 624 (permalink) Old 09-03-2017, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

The Steelers made another trade; this tome with the Bucs. They traded a 2018 6th round pick for JJ Wilcox and the Bucs' 2019 7th round pick. Wilcox is a strong safety. I would think he's an upgrade over Robert Golden, who is a good special teamer, but a lousy safety.
post #10 of 624 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Whos running the Steelers, Jim Rutherford? I don't remember this many trades in a single year before.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page