The NFL Draft - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

The NFL Draft

I hope the Steelers can manage to get Mike Pouncey. If not him, I like Jimmy Smith.

From NFL.com
Corners with Smith's size, speed and confidence in press coverage don't grow on trees. He'll likely serve as reserve/nickel early in his career but has the skill set to eventually become a starter. Very effective playing man coverage close to the line of scrimmage where he can use his size and length to disrupt timing patterns. Can recover after initial bump and compete for the football. Isn't as comfortable in off-man or zone but could improve over time. Has the mentality and physical tools to be very productive in run support, just needs some more polish. Smith's tools and upside will likely land him in the second round.

Dude runs a 4.46, and is 6'2, 211. I like that he can press and take away short routes that have been a nuisance lately. If they can manage that, especially if they keep Taylor, and then can move McFadden to nickel, that defense will be unreal-er.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:57 PM

Re: The NFL Draft

I'd love either one, I doubt if either falls that far. Looks like Aaron Williams might be around.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #3 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
The Man

I would like an offensive lineman with the first pick if there is a good one available. I know we are hurting at corner but I am tired of Ben having poor protection and we need to run the ball better even though we had a decent year last season. I think we can find some help in the secondary in the later rounds. I also would like to get another good reciever and someone on the defensive line. Hampton only has a couple years left at best and I am not sure Aaron Smith will be able to play the entire season.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
The Man

Same 3 positions for the last 3 years have needed an upgrade.

2009 - Hood: Same song and dance that the d line is aging yadda yadda yadda. Seems solid so far.
2010 - Pouncey: Again we heard the broken record and we got a steal in this guy, a new guy for SF58 to drool over.
2011 - Aaron Williams or Cameron Heyward: Williams should be there as it sounds he is a fringe 1st rd to early 2nd round guy. Colbert wont reach though. Heyward could be a beast DE but could hamper us for years at the CB position.

Wouldnt put it past them to do something crazy like draft a TE.

Another thing about Williams is he can play both safety positions and corner...ive heard people refer to him as a hybrid...we all know we love hybrid dudes on this team.

Heres a couple of quick thoughts:

I dont know if Jimmy Smith will still be available. Corner seems deep this year.

Mike P will not be available at No. 31.

Colbert may throw a trade together because there are always teams with mid to high picks that want to trade down to stockpile draft picks.

Goodell will do or say something stupid. If that doesnt work he will look stupid tonight anyways.

I probably wont watch til later on unless I get a call from someone the Steelers traded up.

2F for a while...
post #5 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL12
Same 3 positions for the last 3 years have needed an upgrade.

2009 - Hood
2010 - Pouncey
2011 - Aaron Williams or Cameron Heyward

Heres a couple of quick thoughts:

I dont know if Jimmy Smith will still be available. Corner seems deep this year.

Mike P will not be available at No. 31.

Colbert may throw a trade together because there are always teams with mid to high picks that want to trade down to stockpile draft picks.

Goodell will do or say something stupid. If that doesnt work he will look stupid tonight anyways.

I probably wont watch til later on unless I get a call from someone the Steelers traded up.

post #6 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 PM
The Man

hey I had to edit my original post to mention something for you.

Wait....is that....could it be?? OMG under that mask its...its...ROGER!!!

2F for a while...
post #7 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I'm actually not a huge fan of individual linemen, though I do love Pouncey dearly. That may be because he looks like God himself between those two slobs who flank him. I'm a linebacker and running back guy. Hate to admit it, but I am in love with Hillis in Cleveland. He plays the game like its supposed to be played.

post #8 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Honestly, unless they know the guard they draft can immediately play, I don't want to see them reach for one. I'd rather them go for a CB who would be an immediate upgrade in that case. But then again, any pick 5th round or higher would be an upgrade at either of those positions. AND DRAFT A FULLBACK!!!

post #9 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:47 PM
The Man

You loves you some Pouncey.

Remember the video of him at his house when his name was called...I thought oh great we got a gangsta. Dont judge a book by its cover.

I think they are set for a year or 2 with LB's after last years draft. I still feel last years class is going to be one of those very productive ones for a long time all around.

Im gonna say its Aaron Williams tonight...then again, could there be a suprise?!?! Who knows. So tough to call.

What are the chances of Cam Newton having any success in the NFL? I have my doubts

2F for a while...
post #10 of 92 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q2XL12
2010 - Pouncey: Again we heard the broken record and we got a steal in this guy, a new guy for SF58 to drool over.
I guess I'm fighting SF58 then cause I got a serious man-crush on Pounce!

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page