Sports Fans - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Sports Fans

Ok, does anyone else ever notice after a big loss that it's always the home team played terrible and did nothing right. The coach needs to go, they can't shoot, pull the goalie.

Does the other team ever play great or do they always take advantage of the poor playing of the home team.

Just a thought, some times when an opposing team is playing great they can make the home team look bad.

Sorry I'm just venting here because telling some people I work with is like talking to a brick wall. I hear it every time the Pens or Steelers lose. (sorry Buccos we kind of gotten use to it)

Even though the Pens have a young team with lots of talent we must change everything because we lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Re: Sports Fans

The Pens played a great first period last night. After that, it was all downhill.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM
The Man

The better team won and I think the Pens did the best with what they had. They showed alot of heart and that was enough for me.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
The Man

They controlled the puck and time of possession in the third period
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:26 PM

Seems like that sometimes. This isn't the case though this time. The Pens played a good game last night. Tampa did too. It was tight the entire game. To be honest I think the Pens outplayed the Lightning....didn't get the marker though.

There are certain things that attributed to the loss that are just simply facts. The PP didn't produce and is fundamentally flawed. If the PP was actually a winning strategy we wouldn't have seen a game 7. The coach doesn't need fired but he should give the PP coaching away to someone else that can actually coach one. 1 for 35 or whatever the final tally is means there's more than just bad luck there. It's been bad all year. The players aren't the problem, it's the scheme as a whole that's not right. The most talented players in the game couldn't buy a goal the way that PP is set up.....we know this fact because two of them worked it for the first half of the season.

I'm not making excuses either. That's one aspect of the game that probably had the most impact in this series. I'm still a proud fan and I still love my favorite team. I can still call a spade a spade though.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I agree with the PP I've been saying it all along just look at my previos posts, That said it may have something to do with injuries. Don't you think?

I can't believe Boston went 0-33 on their PP. They made me eat my words yesterday
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Can you imagine what Mario must be thinking watching that circus act we call a power play? It had nothing to do with injuries. They have been a poor PP unit since Bylsma took over as HC, and got even worse, which I didn't think possible, when Yeo left and Disco took charge of it himself. If they want to protect Sid from cheap shots like Steckels and Hedmans, assuming he comes back, they need to make that PP devastating to the other team. Godard is great, and we still need an enforcer, but if Sid is hurt, Godard killing the perpetrator doesn't help the team, though it would be just and would make us feel a lot better. Of course, Hedman is a pansy that never would drop them with Godard anyway. He ran from TK for heaven's sakes.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I agree the power play is awful
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter
I agree with the PP I've been saying it all along just look at my previos posts, That said it may have something to do with injuries. Don't you think?

I can't believe Boston went 0-33 on their PP. They made me eat my words yesterday
The injuries certainly didn't do the Pens any favors on the PP or anywhere else....that's for sure. However, I think the problem is their PP scheme.....the X's an O's if you will.

Here's three Penguins PP schemes that we've seen all year....and why they don't work.

3 forwards down low.....2 defensmen way out at the blue line. Nobody in front of the net. PK has 4 defending players....2 down low, 2 cutting off the access to the blue line. Puck cleared, penalty killed very easily. This one almost always looks like there's more PK's than PP's on the ice!

Half the time they kill their PP all by them selves by having 2 D on the same side and shooting the puck...rebound goes out the other side because there's 1) nobody in front of the net 2) forwards on the half-boards out of reach of exiting rebound and/or 3) nobody in the slot at all. The PK is set up in the slot and clears anything there. They do this all the time on 5v5 too!

Another problem is speed. They seem to want to go into the zone and set up shop...fine an well. Problem is they do it at the speed of smell! The PK then forces them to pass the puck a certain way or get striped/grind it out on the boards(an in-zone trap). PK dictates what's happening in zone. They almost never even get a shot off when they try this scheme.

Bylsma seems to worry about the entrance on the PP. It isn't the entrance that's the problem....it hasn't been the problem though he's changed that up a bit recently. The problem is what to do once entry is gained. In this regard he seems to either A) have no flippin' clue or B) wants his schemes to work so badly that he's unwilling to change them out for something that works. Want to see a stellar PP....look at Detroit. It's super simple and almost silly how well it works. Gain zone, add speed and a pass or two and push everyone to the net....that's it! It puts the PK on it's heels and allows the PP to get shot after shot from all over the place at short range.

On Boston: The PP wasn't as big in that series because they could score goals 5v5....and enough of them. Same for the Habs though they did get some PPG's. It was a big factor for the Pens because they had trouble generating any kind of offense to begin with. The Lightning didn't have to worry much about the Pens PP so they could focus on the Pens PK. When you can dedicate time to picking apart the opponents PK you're going to beat it. When you're committed to 'playing your game' and reluctant to adjust to whatever needs adjusting you're going to lose. Bylsma and the Penguins proved that this series.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I agree the PP is the reason they didn't move on. It has been dismal at best.

no argument there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page