Peterson and Mendenhall Compare the NFL to Slavery - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Peterson and Mendenhall Compare the NFL to Slavery

Did any of you hear this?

Peterson started by saying that the NFL today is "modern day slavery". What a ridiculously stupid statement to make!

Packers RB Ryan Grant took exception to Peterson's rant and made a point to remind everyone that there still is ACTUAL slavery occurring in the world.

Then Mendy stepped in and defended AP and tweeted that the NFL and the slave trade "parallel each other". He then ripped those who criticized Peterson by saying that nobody has any business commenting on the subject who isn't part of the "system".

I am so disappointed in these guys right now. What an absolutely ignorant statement to make. It is an insult to everyone that had to suffer/is still suffering from FORCED slavery. These guys drop out of college to become eligible for the draft so that they can sign multi million dollar contracts to ENTERTAIN us on the weekends. Nobody is forcing these players to play the game. Peterson is slated to make $10 million this coming year alone. Sure sounds like slavery to me.

I lose more and more respect for pro athletes with every passing year. They are some of the whiniest, self serving, arrogant morons on the planet. From the outrageous on field antics to the trash talking to the arrogant attitudes and now stupid statements like this, I can barely stand to watch any more.

Maybe this is why I like hockey so much. You just don't see stupid behavior like this in the NHL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Re: Peterson and Mendenhall Compare the NFL to Slavery

In the way that they round them up like cattle at the combine, call them RB19, 5-10,220#,4.50 40, 260 # bench, it is. But then they go on to make $10 million. Slaves didn't make bank like that.
I can understand the players wanting the NFL to give total transparency on league revenues. The salary cap is determined precisely by that. In effect, the players work on commission. If any of us were paid on a 45% of X basis, I bet we'd all love to know exactly how much X is. They are trying to get the best deal for themselves, just like the owners. The owners own the teams and deserve to be handsomely rewarded, and they are. I think that playoff revenues should be split between the teams left in the playoffs. IE-Wild Card Round=1/12 per team, Divisional Round=1/8 per team, etc. That way, NFL teams that have ownership like the Pittsburgh Pirates don't get welfare. But the players shouldn't be faulted for trying to get the best deal they can, either. Just as the owners have a very valuable asset, the players control a very valuable asset also, their talent. Lets face it, would you rather see Big Ben and Mendenhall, or Dixon and Dwyer? A deal FAIR to both sides should be able to be reached. Somehow, I have a hard time believing that Goodell is helping this process. If I were a defensive player, I wouldn't agree to anything if he remains Commish. He doesn't want to allow defensive players to do their jobs, which in turn affects their salary big time. Poor Harrison had $100k stolen from him last year due to arbitrary fines for borderline hits that were legal the week before. What did he do to Vince Young that deserved $5k fine? He tackled him while the play was going on, while Young had the ball. Yes, he dropped him on his head, but that isn't expressly written in the rules as illegal. Could he have actually damaged Young's minuscule brain anyway? The players should hold out for a disciplinary committee with players and management, and a separate appeals board. As it stands now, Goodell's toadies and him sit in the office Tuesday morning, and watch every Harrison hit on super slow motion, looking for anything to fine him for. When Harrison appeals, he has to appeal to the people who sentenced him. If you get a speeding ticket, and the magistrate, who happens to be the officers brother in law, upholds it, should they make you appeal to the same magistrate? The players are the ones who play under the rules, they should have a say on what the rules are. And no, that committee should not consist of Brady, Brees and Manning. We should allow defensive players also, to be fair. If it were up to Brady, you wouldn't be allowed to hit at all.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 01:31 PM

hey, you mean Manning doesn't like getting hit? I'd have never known that by watching the way the pansy slides every time a defender is withing 10 feet of him

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 02:38 PM

While he lacks the intestinal fortitude that Ben, and to a lesser degree Vick, has, he at least isn't screaming at an official or his linemen if anyone almost hits him. Very few QBs have the guts that Ben does to put his head down and run over a LB in a 21-7 game, or go right back in after some goon breaks his nose on a play that Brady gets a flag for.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hey now, you can't have ol tom getting his hair messed up, thats not in his contract!!

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I understand what you are saying steelerfan but they CHOOSE to go to the combine to display their talents to hopefully move up in the draft and make even MORE money.

I'm sorry but Mendy saying that the NFL "parallels slavery" is over the top. Just because you are in a urination match with the owners because they make billions and you only make millions doesn't give you the right to make such an outrageous statement. So what if they get traded, they know the possibilities going in. Take Barry Sanders for example. He WANTED to be traded and the Lions said no so he quit. Nobody forced him to stay.

Being a pro athlete is a CHOICE and right there is where any parallels to slavery end.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM

As always when you have strikes, both sides are guilty of stupidity. Mendenhall and Peterson claiming this is no more(or less) outrageous that Goodell crying poormouth, that the league has fallen on tough times, when the reality is that they have never been making more money, having grossed $9 billion last year. They need to shut up, meet in the middle, go back to 2009 rules so real football can be played again.

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I hear you there. Goodell is a moron and I can't stand him anymore.

The only point that I was trying to make is that it certainly doesn't help the players' cause when AP and Mendy go out and make totally off the wall comments like that. Fight the fight, present your arguments but don't make outrageous comparisons to one of the darkest sides of humanity.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:43 PM

I see your side too. It's far from slavery. Twitter will be the downfall of all athletes. Jim Brown has made similar statements, though, in his defense, the owners were sticking it to the players when he was in the league.

I hope they get it done--IMO, Mendenhall is going to be a top 3 back next season, if Arians allows it. He definitely would be with a fullback in front of him, like AP has.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 07:22 PM
The Man

Mendenhall is dead to me

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page