Coach Bylsma - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Coach Bylsma

Good news!

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Coach Dan Bylsma, who has the Pittsburgh Penguins in contention for the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference without stars Sidney Crosby(notes) and Evgeni Malkin(notes), has agreed to a three-year contract extension through 2013-14.

Bylsma, 40, who led the Penguins to a Stanley Cup in 2009, has Pittsburgh just two points behind Philadelphia (88) in the Atlantic Division as play began on Wednesday. If the season ended on Tuesday night, the Penguins would be in the No. 4 spot in the East, and would have home-ice advantage for at least one round.

“Dan has very quickly established himself as one of the best coaches in the National Hockey League,” general manager Ray Shero said. “He has been a perfect fit for our organization since day one, and we look forward to having him leading our team for the next three seasons.”

The Penguins are without Crosby (concussion) and Malkin (knee), but have won two straight and have points in their last five games. A division title and the top seed in the East is within reach.

“I think what we’ve been able to accomplish so far his season,” Shero said, “even with players like Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal(notes) out of the lineup for extended periods of time, is a testament to his coaching system, his adaptability, and his composure under pressure.”

Bylsma is 104-52-19 with the Penguins and has the highest winning percentage (.649) of any coach in franchise history. He also is tied with Scotty Bowman for the team record in playoff victories (23) and playoff series wins (five).

Bylsma, a native of Grand Haven, Mich., was named interim coach on Feb. 15, 2009. Last year, in his first full season, the Penguins went 47-28-7 for 101 points.

Pittsburgh plays host to Montreal on Saturday.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 AM

Re: Coach Bylsma

Very deserving. And, for a hockey coach, this is a huge committment from the team.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

In other good news for Pittsburgh sports, the Steelers hired Carnell Lake as their D Back coach.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
In other good news for Pittsburgh sports, the Steelers hired Carnell Lake as their D Back coach.
Business is about to pick up in that D Backfield!!! He can help Troy immensely with the only thing he struggles with--tackling. Nobody was as sure of a tackler as Lake.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 AM

And Lake could hit like a ton of bricks, so we still will be killing guys.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan58
And Lake could hit like a ton of bricks, so we still will be killing guys.
If they're allowed to!

Good move for the Pens. I like Bylsma's style and demeanor behind the bench. Nice to get that out of the way and all, but I doubt either side was really worried about it.

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

I always like Lake. He never gave up on a play. One in particular stands out. I can't recall who they were playing (Rainman58 will probably remember the team, date, quarter, down and distance, time on the clock, weather, attendance, etc ) but the receiver got behind the CB and caught a deep pass that would have been a sure TD if Lake hadn't come all the way across the field, run down the receiver at about the 10 yd line and punch the ball out of his hands. Lake went on to recover the fumble and return it for a pretty good gain.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Glad they retained Bylsma. I am very impressed how he has kept a team together and in contention with a depleted roster.
I don't see the Pens winning a cup this year, but I haven't completely ruled it out. They still need scoring, but the fact they are sitting on the 4th seed and are only 2 points out of first is impressive and a credit to how Bylsma gets his team to work.

Not part of the original post but I am glad to hear the Steelers hired Lake. I think he can work wonders with some of these younger CB and S that need molded.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead
I always like Lake. He never gave up on a play. One in particular stands out. I can't recall who they were playing (Rainman58 will probably remember the team, date, quarter, down and distance, time on the clock, weather, attendance, etc ) but the receiver got behind the CB and caught a deep pass that would have been a sure TD if Lake hadn't come all the way across the field, run down the receiver at about the 10 yd line and punch the ball out of his hands. Lake went on to recover the fumble and return it for a pretty good gain.
Believe it or not, I can't remember the specifics. Lake left us when I was 21, and during most of his career here, it was during my later teenage years, which are a bit hazy. I do remember the play though. Was it against Buffalo, perhaps? My favorite Lake moment was him blowing up Don Bebee though. Scratch that. My favorite has to be when we played the Oilers. It was a home game, Warren Moon was their QB. IIRC it was 3rd down. Lake and Woodson both hit him at the same time, I think Woodson went low and Lake went high, and Moon went to the hospital.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 03:28 PM

Lake could play CB, was a LB in college, and a standout SS, so if anyone can make Troy better, it would be Lake.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page