Statement from Mario regarding the sideshow Friday - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Statement from Mario regarding the sideshow Friday

Statement from Pittsburgh Penguins Co-Owner and Hockey Hall of Famer Mario Lemieux
Sunday, 02.13.2011 / 2:10 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
“Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be. But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn’t hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

“The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed.

“We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

“If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it.”

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Statement from Mario regarding the sideshow Friday

I would hope that a statement like this, especially coming a man who carries as much respect as he does, would grab some attention in the league office.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

One would think that, but the league office seems to have problems noticing things for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:22 PM

The league has spoken about Lemieux's statements.

The NHL stood by the punishments handed out by league disciplinarian Colin Campbell.

"We are entirely comfortable with how Friday night's events were handled," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "We have no other response to Mr. Lemieux's statement."
-ESPN

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

This is really the fault of the officials, and the NHL's philosophy of letting the players determine punishments for each other. How would a jail operate if you let the inmates run it?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Big Mario fan and big Pens fan, but with Matt Cooke on his team and some of his antics, it is kind of hard to give Mario's comments a fair shake.

Most people are a lap down in life!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Friday would have been below the standards of even Cooke.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Banned

I know I shouldn't let it bother me very much but ever since this incident on Friday and the response to it by fans, former players and the media I am hot right now.

Everyone is running around chanting "the Pens deserved it" and "it's about time". Why? That's what I would like to know. Is their hatred for "Cindy Crysby" that bad that they wish for Pens players to be assaulted on the ice for no apparent reason? The Pens play a physical, in your face brand of hockey. That's Bylsma's system. Aggressive forecheck down low and put heavy check on to wear the other team down in their end. Apparently teams around the league can't seem to handle this.

Now that Mario has made his statement, all I hear is "Mario has no room to say anything because he employs Matt Cooke". It's Cooke this and Cooke that. Does he cross the line? Absolutely and right now he is paying for crossing the line. Sure the Isles are suspended right now and they got fined but Mario's beef is with the fact that it was a premeditated attack. If the Isles would have simply went toe to toe with Talbot or whoever and settled the score that would have been fine. Instead they decided that they were going to out and out assault players all over the ice. Cooke has never sucker punched someone from behind or proceeded to throw punches at someone after they went down injured. He most certainly has never stood over top of someone while they were down on the ice and screamed at them. Cooke's reckless plays actually happen while the game of hockey is being played. Some of the Isles had no intentions on playing hockey on Friday. They simply went out there to cheapshot and jump players when they weren't expecting it.

Now we have fans from all over the league back slapping the Isles and condoning what they did. All I hear is that it is "karma" for how dirty the Pens play and the fact that they employ Cooke. It's beyond pathetic and the hypocrisy is over the top.

I guess teams can now be free to start cheap shotting and sucker punching Caps players now including Ovechkin because it is simply "karma" for all the dirty hits that Alex has thrown? I guess teams can start taking liberties on Zetterberg and Datsyuk simply because the Wings employ Bertuzzi? Karma right? Maybe next time the Panther play the Flyers they can just start assaulting Giroux and Briere because of the Richards hit on Booth because, you know, "karma". No, nobody around the league would condone that and rightly so but for some reason it's ok for it to happen to the Pens in retaliation for a clean hit and their goalie getting his jaw smashed.

Isles fans are saying that they are tired of their young stars getting pushed around and roughed up. Welcome to the NHL! Every teams stars get roughed up but they handle the culprits in a different way. They don't attack players from behind and taunt them while they are down, they grab the guilty party and initiate the beatdown. I guess the Isles can't go toe to toe so they decided the sneak attack method with the other team's heavyweights gone was the proper way to go.

The funniest thing is the people who are claiming that the Pens got their butts beat on Friday. What? They fought, fought again and then fought some more. One player was injured on a cheapshot by Gillies. I didn't see multiple Pens laying all over the ice with their faces beat in. The Isles fans are just so giddy right now because they finally had something to cheer about while watching their bottom feeder team. The Isles want respect? Start winning some games and learn how to take clean hits like men.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Trask, it was a book but it was dead on man. Dont let the rest of the league bother you. Ignorance runs rampant in the world of sports fans, especially in todays talk yourself up and then run while blaming everyone but yourself society.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Guys like Cooke exist because of the league being like it is. If they didn't want guys like that, they would have actually done something to discourage this sort of behavior. But they chose to do nothing. That game set professional hockey back 35 years. In a way, Cooke reminds me of Dennis Rodman. Yes, he crosses the line at times. But, like Rodman, Cooke works his butt off every night, lays it on the line every shift, and does all the little things you need to win.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page