BIG BEN Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

BIG BEN Question

Say Big Ben gets into the Hall of Fame on winning 2 Super Bowls but most likly would not get in otherwise.

While Dan Marino is in the HOF with no Super Bowl wins.

Who's shoes would you rather be in.
Ben so/so to good qb who is only REALLY in the HOF because of the 2 Super Bowles's

or

Dan Marino who was a Super Quarterback ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: BIG BEN Question

i choose dapper dan over the bowel movement

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't think Ben gets in only because of the super bowls. Have you ever seen a QB that can do what he does? I don't think Dan Marino would have been such a Super Quarterback if he played behind a line like the Steelers. Jsut my opinion. I don't think any of the elite QB's in the game today would have much success behind the Steelers O-line. But Ben does. Ben thrives on it.
And if you look at Bens stats they are very good. Not average or poor. He plays the way he is needed to.

Where have you been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:23 AM

The question was who's shoes AS A PLAYER would you rather be in. Gotta go with being a winner than a loser. Marino also had a lot of 4th Qtr comebacks, but inevitably failed when it mattered most. What is more important-championships or empty stats?

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan58
The question was who's shoes AS A PLAYER would you rather be in. Gotta go with being a winner than a loser. Marino also had a lot of 4th Qtr comebacks, but inevitably failed when it mattered most. What is more important-championships or empty stats?
Empty Stats ? for DM ? Not following you. DM is in the HOF for merit and stats on the field.

BR MAYBE gets in only because of Super Bowel wins.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 01:47 AM
Banned

Dan Marino, hands down. Not even close.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:14 AM

If you think Fat Ben has even near the talent that Marino had, you are blind. Period.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 AM

Keep in mind, I find it hard to choose between Qbs of different eras, due to rule differences, completely different offenses, etc. Put Ben behind an O line that was a wall like Marino had, and let him throw 45 times a game, you'll likely see the same pretty numbers. The only constant measuring stick is championships won and not won. Who would you rather have, Jim Kelly or Roger Staubach? Kelly had prettier numbers. And he'll be forever known as the guy who got pounded in 4 straight SBs, 3 of which weren't close.

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Whipped
Say Big Ben gets into the Hall of Fame on winning 2 Super Bowls but most likly would not get in otherwise.

While Dan Marino is in the HOF with no Super Bowl wins.

Who's shoes would you rather be in.
Ben so/so to good qb who is only REALLY in the HOF because of the 2 Super Bowles's

or

Dan Marino who was a Super Quarterback ?
That was the original question. I'd rather be the guy who is known as a winner, and tell my grandchildren about how I won 2 Super Bowls and stood at the top of my profession WITH MY TEAM, than be the guy who won NOTHING--EVER. It's way more about winning championships than it is about gaudy numbers. Stick Marino behind the line Ben is behind, he'd have died. Marino couldn't move to save his soul. Elway would be a better comparison. Both he and Ben know what it's like to stand at the pinnacle of their profession, which is something Mario never will. And to remind you, Elway, like every QB, needed a running game. Marino didn't want one in Miami, wanted to do it all himself. Thus, the only things on his fingers are Isotoners. Montana threw a way uglier ball than Marino. Never had Mario's stats. Won 4 SB's, I'll take him and the trophies, thank you. It's football, not the NFL QB challenge. Winning(within the rules) is all that is important. Doesn't matter how you get there.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase47
If you think Fat Ben has even near the talent that Marino had, you are blind. Period.

I love guys like you. You don't have any talent yet you insult a man who has won 2 super bowls. Nobody is saying Marino wasn't a great QB. But try to imagine Marino playing behind the same o-line against the defenses of today. While Marino was a great passer he couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Gimme a break. They're two different style of QB's. The biggest difference between the two? One couldn't win the big game and one did, twice!

Where have you been?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page