College Football Playoff. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CRENoutdoors
  • 1 Post By DethFrumAbuv

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

College Football Playoff.

Bummed PSU missed but I get it. As much as I dont wanna get it, I get it. Everything else seems pretty normal. Washington...........if I had to bet I'd say Alabama just crushes them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 05:12 PM

I agree it stinks not having P.S.U. be there , just shows that the conference championship games are nothing more than cash cow.
Be nice to get rid of championship games and have an 8 team playoff instead of just the 4 teams that will draw the most $$$ for 2 games.

Just as long as Ohio State doesn't win !
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 08:17 PM

This is a hard one for me. If you asked me who the true top-4 teams in college football are this year (regardless of deserving to be in the top 4) I would say that's: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan.

I just don't like how the committee is showing inconsistency now. During the first year, they had TCU comfortably in at least 3rd/4th all season then kicked them out for Ohio State because TCU split their Big XII title with Baylor. Penn State is literally the same story as Ohio State in '14 but they don't let PSU into the final four.

Obviously an 8 team playoff cures all ills. Make it automatic for the conference winners (can still preserve conference championship games for the $$$), the top two best non-conference winners, and give the final spot to the best team in the rest of the conferences. It's not like the calendar doesn't have time for a quarter final, this could occur ~2 weeks after conference championship games in mid December (make it a home game for the top 4 teams), semis on their traditional dates then the final a week to ten days later. It's a money maker all around and it truly determines the champion under our current conference system.
Birch812 likes this.

3B NRA NWTF: I do have to fine you. That will be a thousand dollars Canadian, or 10 American dollars if you prefer.

My Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:33 AM

The so called committee has lost all credibility !! They have totally disrespected the Big Ten Conference and given into politics / media pressure...if you think Washington's schedule is light check out Alabama, it hain't nothing to write home about either, who exactly challenges them week after week on it, nobody ! The SEC is way way over rated, other than two or three teams they are never challenged...the débâcle caused by the Buckeyes is just not right, the conference champ must represent the league let alone someone who beat them, just to appease the SEC coach who went north..let's play these bowl games up north and see how many of the SEC teams survive..none, and don't use the lose to Pitt as the reason, they are a lot better than their record, ask Clemson ! Pay to play at the highest level ...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

The Pitt game is the reason PSU isn't in though. If they played Portland St Luke Washington they'd be a 1 loss tram and definitely had gotten in.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRENoutdoors View Post
Obviously an 8 team playoff cures all ills. Make it automatic for the conference winners (can still preserve conference championship games for the $$$), the top two best non-conference winners, and give the final spot to the best team in the rest of the conferences. It's not like the calendar doesn't have time for a quarter final, this could occur ~2 weeks after conference championship games in mid December (make it a home game for the top 4 teams), semis on their traditional dates then the final a week to ten days later. It's a money maker all around and it truly determines the champion under our current conference system.
I said the exact same thing - the Big 12 needs to add a conference championship game, have the five conference champs from the so-called "Power Five" conferences, one at-large conference champ based on rankings, and two "wild cards".

My daughters went to D-III Univ. of Mount Union, and I watched that team navigate a 32-team playoff after 10 regular season games. Even D-I FCS (formerly 1-AA) has a playoff. Look what it did for Carson Wentz. So it can be done. And should be.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 08:15 AM

Well, great choices by the committee to pick Washington and Ohio State over Penn State.

I am not a die-hard PSU fan, but I think they would have given Bama a better game than Washington. The announcers so much as said that when playing the Tide, you gotta take shots down the field, and PSU does that well.

The Clemson game was a complete rout. Dabo had the Tigers ready to go. I thought OSU was over rated all year a bit, and with Michigan going down, and OSU going down, if USC hands it to PSU then it sure points to the Big Ten being way over rated. Conference has a lot of solid teams, but FSU taking down Michigan gives a lot of street cred to the ACC, not Big Ten, being the conference to threaten the SEC.

Watching the games, it looks like Bama/Clemson could be another classic. Certainly after last year's game Clemson might be the one team that isn't shaking in their shoes at the thought of playing Bama.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethFrumAbuv View Post
Well, great choices by the committee to pick Washington and Ohio State over Penn State.

I am not a die-hard PSU fan, but I think they would have given Bama a better game than Washington. The announcers so much as said that when playing the Tide, you gotta take shots down the field, and PSU does that well.

The Clemson game was a complete rout. Dabo had the Tigers ready to go. I thought OSU was over rated all year a bit, and with Michigan going down, and OSU going down, if USC hands it to PSU then it sure points to the Big Ten being way over rated. Conference has a lot of solid teams, but FSU taking down Michigan gives a lot of street cred to the ACC, not Big Ten, being the conference to threaten the SEC.

Watching the games, it looks like Bama/Clemson could be another classic. Certainly after last year's game Clemson might be the one team that isn't shaking in their shoes at the thought of playing Bama.
I agree. I believe the only big 10 team to win a bowl so far this year is Wisconsin . PSU needs the win just to give credibility to the big 10 for next years rankings. Although the losses by Michigan and OSU could certainly affect how people rank big 10 teams next year.
That is important when it comes to the rankings at the end of the year.
I also would like tot see the 8 team playoff. There is not a year that goes by that a good team is not slighted by voting on rankings.

Your never to old to learn something stupid
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:31 PM

Man, they way USC and PSU threw it around the field, they both looked more worthy than Washington and Ohio State.

Of course, they weren't doing it against the Bama and Clemson pass rush either.
Birch812 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page