We Have The Technology - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

We Have The Technology

We've all seen it, flipping thru the channels and there's a baseball game on another network. Sure enough there's that "electronic strike zone box" in the right hand corner of the screen.
Now we get to see how many times the ump misses them pitches just on the edge of the strike zone, or it's right down the middle and called a ball.
Talk about a level playing field, if every pitch were called by the electronic strike zone it could make the game much better.

How would you feel about letting the computer call balls and strikes??

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:00 AM
The Man

Re: We Have The Technology

Nope, I like the human element of the game. If I had a say, I'd get rid of replay; for as many times as an ump misses a call that goes against your team, they miss as many that benefit your team.

Now if you want to make changes, lets get the strike zone back to where its supposed to be, between the knees and the letters, and raise the mound back up inches like it was before the mid '60's

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 12:03 AM
Banned

I vote against. Baseball was around for over a hundred years without it and the sport did just fine. I used to be all for getting the calls right. However, it's out of control to the point where we don't even know what a catch is in football anymore.

In baseball, they sometimes take five minutes or longer to review the calls. Umps with headphones on, players standing around smiling, joking with teammates or the opposition. Fans waiting on the call from New York or wherever.

Sometimes you gotta be careful what you wish for. We wished for instant replay challenges and we got them. I think I'd like to go back to the refs/umps making calls and live with whatever call they make.

I'm probably gonna be in the minority on this but that's my vote. Let the arguements begin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 01:44 PM
The Man

I'm for it. Especially after watching the Pirates / Cubs game last night. One called strike was so low and inside it nearly grazed the batters shoes.

Leave the ump there for other on the field duties but make the strike zone computerized.

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

If we can improve the quality of the game I'm all for it. It seems getting the balls/strikes correct would go a long way to make the game more accurate, thus improving the quality of the game.

You know all them 0-2 counts and the next pitch gets called a ball. Or the veteran pitcher has earned a bigger strike zone. Or the veteran batter gets the benefit of the close pitches.
The electronic strike zone wouldn't allow for any of that stuff to happen.

Let the home plate ump concentrate on foul tips, did the batter swing at the pitch, watch for balks and throw out the Mangers that disagree!

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 PM

A seasons efforts can come down to a series of calls or no calls... I say let the electronics call balls and strikes...it amazes me how bad the umpires really are...the guy last night and one last week are among the worst ever...why would they care it makes their job easier..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
know all them 0-2 counts and the next pitch gets called a ball. Or the veteran pitcher has earned a bigger strike zone. Or the veteran batter gets the benefit of the close pitches.
Reminds me of a story I heard many years ago that went something like this......

Ted Williams is at bat. Pitcher throws a pitch that the catcher thinks is a strike but the ump calls it a ball. He throws the next pitch, catcher thinks it a strike but the ump calls it a ball. He throws another pitch and the same thing happens. The catcher is more than a little frustrated by now and turns to the ump and says, weren't any of those pitches strikes? The ump replies, son, Mr. Williams will let you know when he throws a strike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page