Using Replay to Decide Calls - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Using Replay to Decide Calls

I'm officially sick of using replay to decide calls in both Baseball and Football. I'm watching the Phillies vs the Braves and a call is challenged by the Braves at first base. The player was ruled safe. They review the play at the Braves request. After review the ump gives the safe sign and the play by play guy says, the play stands. It is not confirmed, it stands.

Huh? Isn't that the same thing? Maybe not. I don't know. Same with football. I don't know what a catch is anymore and neither do the players, the refs, the coaches. Nobody knows except some nameless, faceless guy who makes the decision. I say go back to the old way. End replay to decide the calls. Let the officials call the game and let the arguing begin. It was more fun that way anyhow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 PM

Re: Using Replay to Decide Calls

There wasn't enough(clear) evidence to overturn the call on the field on the review. So the call on field stands. (I think same with hockey) Can't help on football I gave that up when all those college guys take a half an hour(or more) to play 2:00

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I really didn't care about the call going one way or the other. I just think the use of replay to decide calls is not necessary. The game of baseball was around for over a hundred years without it and it did just fine.

Same with the rule changes about take out slides and blocking home plate. A big name guy gets hurt and the powers that be want to change the rules.

Now, the NFL is talking about making the goal post narrower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Next they will change home plate to safe space. And first base will be changed to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and 3rd to 1st on a per inning rotation. Then none of them will feel inferior, and each gets a shot at being 1st.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 PM
Sage

I wish they had reviewed the fan interference in left field, when Asche got called out..
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I didn't like that one either Ron. There was no way that guy was gonna catch that ball. But here's the thing that really irks me, it's their own fan that interferes with the play. Should have been ruled a foul ball.

Not only that but he's allowed to stay in the stadium. If he interferes with the play he should have been kicked out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 PM
Banned

IMO, the replays get it right...so what's wrong with that. Having a game decided by a bad call stinks when it can be corrected with todays technology.

Umpires and referees can only call what they appear to see, which is often wrong. I'll take getting in right any day. FT
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Banned

When it first started I felt the same way, get the call right, but after waiting 5 minutes or more for some calls to be decided I've had it. Especially in football. The players themselves admit they don't know what a catch is anymore. Nobody knows, except the mysterious anonymous official.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Here's another one......Remember the first time you heard the term "Football Move." I think everybody watching looked at the person he was watching the game with and said the same thing. "What's a football move?" "Isn't everything move they make a football move?"

Back to the football catch. They go to the booth and break it down frame by frame in slo-mo, rewind, break it down again, then make the ruling. Make the call on the field and that's it. Keep the game moving. The human element is removed from the game.

I miss the arguments between the managers and the umps. Billy Martin looking like his head was gonna explode. Earl Weaver kicking dirt on home plate going nose to nose with the ump. Charlie Manuel getting tossed and the crowd screaming, Charlie, Charlie......the fans giving him a standing "O" as he's heading to the locker room. Those were the days. Sniff, sniff.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The biggest beef I have... they complained games were too long. This replay stuff seems to make them even longer.

As for the left field interference out a couple of days ago, it stank that a home fan could cause the away team to get an out. That rule needs tweaked a bit.

But that Fan can now say he made a major league out for his team.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page