Scott Hartnell to Penguins? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Scott Hartnell to Penguins?

For the past decade, Scott Hartnell has been public enemy number one in Pittsburgh. It's not hard to be hated when you're wearing Flyers' orange, but even in his past two seasons as a member of the Columbus Blue Jackets, he's continued to be a polarizing character for the Penguins. And now, Scott Hartnell is on the trade market. The Blue Jackets are in the process of getting younger, and are looking to trade guys like Fedor Tyutin and Hartnell. If the Penguins get back to full health at center, they could look to add a left winger to the roster, and Eklund is reporting that the Penguins are very interested in Hartnell.

As a Penguins fan, my gut reaction is to cringe at the thought of Hartnell in Pittsburgh, but trying to keep an open mind has me seeing at least some advantages to the trade. Hartnell is known for being one of those players who just constantly torments the Penguins, so having him on our side would clear that issue up pretty nicely. It's not the first time General Manager Jim Rutherford would apply that mindset to an acquisition either. Apparently, discussions of adding Phil Kessel started when the Penguins were playing Toronto and were having a tough time game planning how to defend Kessel. Eric Fehr, another "Penguin Killer", tormented Pittsburgh for years as a member of the Washington Capitals, so the Penguins locked him up for three years in black and gold. So, it certainly would fit the description of a Rutherford-type deal to bring Scott Hartnell to the Burgh.

Outside of the fact that it's Scott Hartnell we're talking about, let's look at whether or not he could actually help the Penguins. Hartnell has 18 goals and 37 points this season for Columbus, a team who has struggled mightily on offense this season. those numbers could definitely help in Pittsburgh, in either the top six or the bottom six.

Hartnell is 33 years old, and is under contract until 2020 at a cap hit of $4.75 million. Definitely an ugly contract. It wouldn't be easy for the Penguins to fit into their payroll, but there's also salary cap wizards working for the team who have a much better idea of exactly how much space the Penguins have to work with. In other words, the Penguins are aware of Hartnell's contract, and if they make a deal then they'll have a plan of how to make his contract fit.

What could the Penguins offer to get Hartnell out of Columbus? Well to make the money side of it work, you could see Kunitz, a 2nd round pick, and a prospect, headed to the Blue Jackets. Kunitz wouldn't make the Jackets any younger, but he carries a shorter contract length which would be enticing to Columbus. The Penguins have two 2nd round picks this year, so they could potentially send one away without feeling major repercussion, but is Hartnell worth it? As far as a prospect goes, a guy like Conor Sheary has seriously increased his trade value with his performance over the past month or so, but, again, is it worth it to give him up?

At the end of the day, my opinion is this: Scott Hartnell could be a nice addition to the Penguins both on the score sheet and in the locker room. But if the price was Kunitz, and a pick/prospect, it just doesn't seem worth it to me. But one things for sure, I definitely approve of the strategy of keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.

http://fiveminutemajor.sportsblog.com/po...h-penguins.html

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Re: Scott Hartnell to Penguins?

No.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Obviously this is just rumor at this point, but I have mixed feelings.

1. Hartnell is hated in Pittsburgh, but he seems like the type of player that we would love if he was here. Always heard that he was a great teammate.

2. Don't care for his age and cap hit. Would hate to give up any young prospects for him as I think we have some potential in the young guys. Some of the callups have really given a nice spark to the team.

I don't think with the cap situation that it is likely.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:45 AM

Well, if it means sending Kunitz packing, I can see it. And yes, Cspot, I have a feeling he'd become one of our favorite players about 30 seconds into his first shift. But you cannot give up Sheary or a decent pick. We also need to shed cap space to do it.

It also wouldn't hurt a thing to have a guy who can deal with the chippiness that will definitely be coming in the playoffs--maybe actually be taking that part of the game to them, instead of the Pens always being on the receiving end, then Sid or Geno dropping the gloves in a playoff game.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:26 AM

That'd make BH all tingly with his man-crush on Fartsmell and all!

You really under estimated the ramifications of the boondoggle you have just perpetrated!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:36 AM

Well, they never really did replace Cooke.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
No.
Good Lord ! I agree with Trask.

2A-Wash. Co.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonN
That'd make BH all tingly with his man-crush on Fartsmell and all!
I've always loved his edginess. I still laugh every time I think about him doing the "Hulkamania" thing. From everything I've read, he's a great team mate and good to the fans. I'd give up Kunitz for him.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:42 AM

At this point, I'd give up Kunitz and his salary for a bag of pucks and a warm 6 pack of Golden Anniversary.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 12:33 PM

And it would give us something new to complain about. Instead of grousing about Kunitz's puck handling, we can gripe about Hartnell's skating ability.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page