James Franklin - PSU - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

James Franklin - PSU

IMO, James is in over his head (div 1A). I think he means well but I don't see anything special as a coach. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Re: James Franklin - PSU

He definitely took a giant step up going to State but he fit the image they were looking to go at the time.
He knew how to get high school kids in the NE section of the country at his other assignment so let's see how he can do now that PSU is back to full scholarship status.

I think his biggest hurdle is going to be getting a big time QB now that Christian is moving on. I think that he and his family feel Franklin has nothing to offer to jeopardize his getting injured.
I don't think Christian is ready for the NFL and I think he went out with that shoulder injury to guarantee he was healthy for the combines.

PSU is a lot further along then they were expected to be at this point.
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think if Christian has a good QB coach, and better than average OL, he might just prosper in the NFL.

If Trace McSorley is the QB for next year, Franklin has a tough road ahead.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 09:46 PM

I think McSorley looked better then Hackenburg on saturday, hack had that 1 drive where he went 4 for 4 then nothing. I'd be willing to see what Trace has
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 AM

Somehow he managed to sign the number 1- 4 wide quarterback, Hack new that Baylor/TCU football is coming to PSU, not sure of his name but he managed to sign him, I think that's what caused the move...did you notice he thanked O'Brien not this guy, I don't think they got along at all...did you notice the new offensive coordinator making Hack roll out like a four wide QB, I think he said enough of that and went down and said bye-bye. He'll be a big hit as a pocket passer if someone with a reasonable line takes him, the pros try to change these 4 wide qb's but few ever make it, Winston seems to have adapted..no change for Hack, he's ready to go.
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Over the course of a season, a young team usually improves game to game....week to week. Not so at PSU this year. The early problems and issues were still noticeable on Jan2. Play selection is predicable and time management is lacking. I think that they got worse as the season progressed.

PSU has decent talent but needs coaches to polish this talent, need coaches that teach and lead. IMO, Franklin is not that guy.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm willing to give him a few more years for a number of reasons:

1. Sanction/reduced scholarships - During the time were there were reduced scholarships, BOB and Franklin did a great job of recruiting skilled players, but did not have the scholarships to offer to offensive linemen. It shows.

2. Franklin's offensive system is not geared towards a pocket passer. I know, I know, a good coach will tailer his system to meet the strengths of his players. Refer to reason number one as to why a pocket passer wasn't going to work no matter what they tried.

3. By the time we get to season 4 and 5, Franklin will be showing whether he and his staff are able to coach with their own recruits that should be a good fit for what they are trying to accomplish.

These 8-5 or 7-6 seasons are killing me. That being said, I would rather have those at this point than no football at all, which was also an option that the idiots at the NCAA considered.

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 06:55 PM

IMO, 2017 we should know one way or another. Franklin's best first step was realizing that he can be the CEO and simply hire competent people around him to actually coach. I don't need him to be a good coach, being an awesome salesman is fine, just surround yourself with quality coaches and it'll be fine.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumBackstrap
I don't need him to be a good coach, being an awesome salesman is fine, just surround yourself with quality coaches and it'll be fine.
"don't need him to be a good coach" Well his not, and things keep getting worst...just sayin'.
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Sage

Three Delaware guys on that team, all are starters and all 3 came on with Obrien....Wish Obrien was still there..oh well

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page