Is Chip Kelly looking to totally dismantle the Eag - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Is Chip Kelly looking to totally dismantle the Eag

The <span style="font-weight: bold">Philadelphia Eagles </span>have a trade in place to send running back LeSean McCoy to the Buffalo Bills, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

In return, the Bills will send linebacker Kiko Alonso to the Eagles, the source said.

The trade cannot be made official until the new league year begins next Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET. McCoy's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, took to Twitter to say the deal has not yet been finalized.

McCoy has the NFL's third-most rushing yards (6,792) and fourth-most rushing touchdowns (44) since he was drafted by the Eagles in the second round in 2009. He finished last season with 1,319 rushing yards, third-most in the NFL.

The Eagles are able to clear cap space by trading McCoy, who was set to count $11.95 million against their 2015 cap. The Bills will owe McCoy, who is signed through 2017, $10.25 million this season.

Philadelphia also released two players Tuesday -- defensive end Trent Cole, who was set to count for $11.625 million against the salary cap, and cornerback Cary Williams, who would have counted for $8.17 million -- while they take on less than $1 million in each of the next two seasons by acquiring Alonso, who will be a restricted free agent after the 2016 season.

Alonso, a second-round pick in 2013, played every defensive snap for the Bills as a rookie and ranked third in the NFL with 159 tackles. He finished second in the Associated Press' voting for defensive rookie of the year.

After tearing his ACL while training last July, Alonso was placed on the non-football injury list and missed the entire 2014 season.

A source told ESPN's Adam Caplan that Alonso's rehab has gone very well and he has increased his training activities and started running.

"I think I'm at almost seven-and-a-half months and I'm doing just about everything," Alonso told the Bills' official radio show on Feb. 25. "Obviously at a very controlled pace, just not going obviously 100 percent. I wouldn't say I'm at 100 percent yet but I'm definitely moving in the right direction and taking it slow.

"I anticipate being 100 percent before camp. By camp, I definitely feel I'll be 100 percent."

An Oregon product, Alonso will reunite with his former college coach, Chip Kelly, who will enter his third season in Philadelphia. Without Alonso, the Bills' top options at linebacker next season will be Nigel Bradham and Preston Brown. They could also re-sign Brandon Spikes or add a free agent like David Harris, who played under Ryan with the Jets.

The Bills are expected to adopt a run-first approach under new head coach Rex Ryan and offensive coordinator Greg Roman. The Bills' leading rusher last season, Fred Jackson, turned 34 last month, while C.J. Spiller will become an unrestricted free agent next week.

"Management called me and told me that they were [trading for McCoy] and pretty much giving me a thank you for your service," Spiller said during an appearance on NFL Network on Tuesday evening. "I feel still the same. Nothing's changed. The game plan is still the same. The only thing is that I won't be returning to Buffalo."

This is the second time in less than a year that the Bills and Eagles have made a trade involving a running back. Buffalo acquired Bryce Brown during last May's draft for a conditional fourth-round pick from Philadelphia. Brown, who remains under contract with the Bills, was active for seven games, rushing for a career-low 126 yards.

That trade prompted Jackson and McCoy, then with the Eagles, to exchange jabs on Twitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
Sage

Re: Is Chip Kelly looking to totally dismantle the Eag

Hmmm, straight up trade? I'm looking for Spiller to show up in an Eagles uniform this season.

Unless they are gonna take a shot at DeMarco Murray. Stay tuned.

Its funny until somebody gets hurt, then its hilarious
post #3 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Could be, looks like so far the Eagles are shredding around 50 million in cap space going into free agency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:23 PM
Sage

Plenty of "Green" to sign Murray.

post #5 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:35 PM
Sage

Btw, I won't be sorry to see Cary Williams gone. He has more excuses than Carter has liver pills.

post #6 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

I think they are also trying to smoke out Jeremy Maclin showing they are willing to part with above average talent. I think they are going to end up paying somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 mil this year and somewhere near the same money for the next 4 years to get where they want to be.
post #7 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Should be an interesting draft.....Cary can hit the road, I don't think we will even notice. Hate to see Trent Cole leave, super nice guy, gives 110% every game, plus he's an avid hunter!! But his career was winding down, eagles wanted to keep him for less money, and he didn't agree I guess.

You didn't know the DUcks and Eagles are closely related as they are??
post #8 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 10:15 AM

I'm not sure I'd toss that much coin at Murray. The Eagles aren't quite where they need to be at QB to justify that. You do that when you have a QB that is close to being able to win a SB. Even if they get Mariota, they won't be there yet. Use the savings to build a line and defense. With a top notch line, even an average talent at running back will excel.

Were not going to apologize for caring. Were not.
post #9 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 03:49 PM

One thing about it--it's not exactly as though he's blowing up a once proud dynasty in their prime. They didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Were not going to apologize for caring. Were not.
post #10 of 152 (permalink) Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage

True, but he cut Jackson last year and he may have been the difference in making the playoffs. If this trade doesn't work to the Eagles advantage, well, let's just say he won't be called a football genius anytime soon.

Also, this will be his 3rd season, if the team isn't a legitimate contender by his 5th year the patience will run thin. In order to get there he needs to draft well and sign some free agents who will make a impact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page