I didn't think it was possible, but.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

I didn't think it was possible, but....

Rinaldo might actually be stupider than he acts:

The Philadelphia Flyers didn’t hide Zac Rinaldo from the media after he was ejected from their 3-2 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins, the result of a nasty leaping hit into defenseman Kris Letang. Which was surprising, given that the NHL’s Department of Player Safety was reviewing the incident as he spoke.

After his quotes began circulating through the Twittersphere, the NHL quickly announced that he’ll receive an in-person hearing, likely meaning a suspension of more than five games.

Why the swift announcement? Might have had something to do with Rinaldo saying he expected one. And for being a tad glib about the whole thing.

Rinaldo was defiant, perhaps hoping that everyone in the arena and watching at home simultaneously blacked out during his first-period game misconduct.

“I hit him backside of the shoulder. I don’t know … maybe the power of my hit … his head hit the glass. I didn’t hit from behind. I hit didn’t him in the numbers. It was the backside of the shoulder. That’s how I saw it.

The backside of the shoulder not being “from behind” aside, the other issue for Rinaldo was that he was charging in to make the hit on a prone player and left his skates to drive Letang’s head into the glass.

Rinaldo’s response? “Hey, quit watching hits in slo-motion or else you’ll see all the illegal stuff!!!"

“I was going pretty fast. I think the impact of me hitting him sent them up a little bit. If you slow down any hit, you see guys every single hit [doing something] that can be criticized.

“I don’t think they should slow it down and dissect every little thing.”

This is either a lunkheaded argument against the spread of video review in the NHL or a hilarious, childlike defense against the policing of illegal hits. It’s like a criminal saying a jury shouldn’t watch video surveillance footage of a bank robbery because the cops didn’t catch him in “real time.”

So you’re totally getting suspended right, Zac?

“More than likely I’m going to get suspended. Yeah.”

He added that Letang’s reputation, his reputation and the injury on the hit were all factors.

But if there’s one thing we love about Zac Rinaldo, it’s that he knows to always leave’em laughing after discussing how he potentially concussed an opponent with a hit that will likely earn him a half-dozen games or more suspension.

Say Zac … didja see how crazy the game was in the second period with all those fights? As he said with a smirk:

“Yeah, I changed the whole game, man. [Expletive], who knows what the game would have been like if I didn’t do what I did?”

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:14 PM
Banned

Re: I didn't think it was possible, but....

And Philly fans love him for it!!! They will be building a statue of him right next to Rocky any day now!!!

Big deal if they suspend Rinaldo. Philly certainly won't be missing him. He is in the lineup for one purpose only and he accomplished his "mission" last night and likely took Letang out for an extended period of time.

His comments after the game are to be expected and he DID change the game and incite the goonery. The Pens were running roughshod over the Flyers, he decides to destroy the Pens' best defensemen and let the chicanery begin!!!

Flyers reverting back to the old days of forgetting about playing the game of hockey and just start gooning it up when things aren't going their way...

Gotta laugh though, Letang gets rocked by a dirty and ILLEGAL hit and leaves the ice injured and there is literally no response from the Pens. Poor old Jakey Voracek takes a LEGAL hip check and goes ape on Scuderi...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 09:19 PM
Banned

LOL. Rinaldo was supposed to have an in person meeting with the league, pretty much guaranteeing that he would be getting a 5+ game suspension.

Now Hextall just tweeted that his "hearing" is scheduled for Monday, OVER THE PHONE.

LOL, he will probably be lucky if he gets any more than 3-4 games...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Pathetic. Garage league, just like Mario said years ago. Nothing has changed.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
Yep. I hate to say it but that is exactly why Mario should say the heck with it and send players out there to engage in this sort of thing. Why not? Especially against teams like Boston and Philly...

The Mr. Nice Guy approach isn't working and it is only letting their star players get bashed into submission night in and night out.

The Pens used to be the team that came out and ground the other team into submission with their play. But then the Isles got all hot and bothered when they DARED to hit Tavares hard and their glass jawed goalie got rocked when he agreed to a fight.

Did the Isles respond with heavy hits on star players? Nope, they instead decided to jump guys from behind, throw sucker punched and send a goon in to fight Johnson...

And again, the rest of the league LOVED it!!! The Pens "needed to have a message sent" they all said. They ate it right up.

But don't you DARE criticize the Flyers when they pull their antics...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:26 PM
The Man

eh, relax. Just sore that the goon tactics work great against the Pens. Stuffs been going on for yrs all around the league. You just focus in Philly cause ya hate em and cant stand losing to a team with the weakest D in the league LOL.

I dont really like it but when your not very skilled ya gotta play on the edge (sometimes over)

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskOutdoors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
Yep. I hate to say it but that is exactly why Mario should say the heck with it and send players out there to engage in this sort of thing. Why not? Especially against teams like Boston and Philly...

The Mr. Nice Guy approach isn't working and it is only letting their star players get bashed into submission night in and night out.

The Pens used to be the team that came out and ground the other team into submission with their play. But then the Isles got all hot and bothered when they DARED to hit Tavares hard and their glass jawed goalie got rocked when he agreed to a fight.

Did the Isles respond with heavy hits on star players? Nope, they instead decided to jump guys from behind, throw sucker punched and send a goon in to fight Johnson...

And again, the rest of the league LOVED it!!! The Pens "needed to have a message sent" they all said. They ate it right up.

But don't you DARE criticize the Flyers when they pull their antics...
And, for some reason, the NHL cant figure out why it is a distant fourth among professional sports leagues....They don't get it....

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Meanwhile the goon the pens suited up in that game got his butt kicked by a Frenchman in his first ever fight. Pens had the goons suited up that game, don't know what you guys were watching. His hit didn't turn the game around, Flyers were winning 1-0 before it. Goaltending won that game. Meanwhile the pigeons have almost 200 more minutes in penalties than the Flyers and they lead the league in misconduct penalties
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

As previously stated, the Flyers have, for the first time in their history, toned down the goonery this year. But they brought it right back for that game. With cement heads like Hextall running the organization, goonery is never far below the surface and, let's face it, the only time the Flyers were ever successful (waaaaay back in the day) it was through goonery.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 10:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Seriously, the Flyers have been one of the most successful teams in hockey history, I don't know what your watching. I believe they have more 100 pt. seasons than any team in hockey and they are an expansion team, they never tanked like the pigeons did all them yrs just to get prospects and never will

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page