Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life fro - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life fro

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-size: 17pt">Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life from NBA, fined $2.5 million by NBA</span></span>

FOX News
April 29, 2014

The NBA threw the book at LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling, banning him for life, fining him $2.5 million and raising the possibility of a forced sale of the team over racist remarks he made to an ex-girlfriend that surfaced on a tape recording.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver made the announcement at a New York press conference moments after Sterling told Fox News that he was not interested in selling the team. When reached after the press conference by Fox News' Jim Gray, Sterling declined to comment.

Silver, who succeeded David Stern as NBA commissioner in February, said the league interviewed Sterling during its investigation. He said NBA investigators determined that the voice heard on the audio tape obtained by TMZ was Sterling's and called the comments "deeply offensive" and vowed to “do everything in my power” to force a sale of the team, which could be worth more than $500 million.

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"> "Former and current NBA players are very happy and satisfied with Commissioner Silver's ruling"
- Earvin "Magic" Johnson tweeted</span></span>

The hateful opinions voiced by that man are those of Mr. Sterling. The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply offensive and harmful. That they came from an NBA owner only heightens the damage and my personal outrage,” Silver said. “I am banning Mr. Sterling for life from any association with the Clippers association or the NBA. Mr. Sterling may not attend any NBA games or practices, he may not be present at any Clippers facility, and he may not participate in any business or decisions involving the team.”

Silver said a forensic expert confirmed tape made by Sterling’s mistress, V. Stiviano, was not altered. In the tape, which was released by TMZ on Saturday, Sterling is heard telling Stiviano, who is of African-American and Mexican descent, not to associate publicly with “black people,” especially at Clippers games. The tape was released shortly after she posted a picture of herself with Lakers Hall of Famer Magic Johnson on Instagram.

Silver told the room full of reporters that he is banning Sterling for life from any association with the team or the NBA. The ban, he said, includes attending games and team practices. He said the $2.5 million fine was the harshest under NBA rules. Silver said Sterling's representatives found out about the ruling just before the press conference and stressed that the ban is independent of the effort to compel Sterling to sell the team.

"Former and current NBA players are very happy and satisfied with Commissioner Silver's ruling," Johnson tweeted after Silver's announcement.

Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks, tweeted, "I agree 100% with Commissioner Silvers findings and the actions taken against Donald Sterling."

Silver's press conference was held hours before the Clippers were to take the court for Game 5 of their Western Conference quarterfinal series against the Golden State Warriors. The best-of-7 series is tied at two games apiece.

The Portland Trail Blazers and San Antonio Spurs have worn black socks in their games as a show of support, while the Miami Heat mimicked the Clippers warm-up statement in their playoff game against Charlotte on Monday night.

"Like I've said before, there's no room in this game for an owner like that," Heat star LeBron James said. "For us, as basketball players, we're all brothers. We're competing against each other and all of us want to win, but in the end, we all have to stick together."

Kobe Bryant and TNT analyst Kenny Smith are among the many to join James in calling for Sterling's ouster and Jordan took a rare public stance on a high-profile issue when he said he was "disgusted that a fellow team owner could hold such sickening and offensive views."

"We're more than basketball players," Wizards guard Garrett Temple said. "We're human beings, first and foremost, and when you hear something like that, it's very unfortunate that whoever that is talking feels that way, and I don't think there's any place in this game or in the world, for that matter, for thoughts like that."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Re: Clippers owner Donald Sterling banned for life fro

Sterling was an idiot how he conducted his life but being 81, running around with a woman 50 years his junior I think he may have had more of a medical issue than a racial one. Maybe a little dementia?

There is no proof he used the dreaded N word, wonder if Magic Johnson could say the same?
Basically Sterling told the woman he didn’t care what she did just don’t rub his nose in it.

The reaction….or over reaction by blacks to hang on every word a white person makes is the main reason racism continues today. Even Obama again showed his racist side.
I'M sure he will pass the team on to his kids and they will run the team and he will retire and en joy some of that 1.9 Billion dollar worth or at least half of it after his wife gets through with him.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 11:31 PM

The NBA just set a precedent, I wonder if they react this way next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:45 PM

The guy is 81. How long is a "ban for life" gonna last? Maybe 6 months?

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:12 PM

In baseball its been since 1919.

We’re not going to apologize for caring. We’re not.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 AM

Absolutely no way NBA can force him to sell HIS team, he will fight this till his death ,literally, he would be facing approximately $250 million in capital gains tax if he were to sell now, or leave it to his heirs and they will have to pay a much smaller inheritance tax.

This will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 02:12 AM

He'll easily be able to drag it out until he "assumes room temperature". At that point the team goes to whoever he wills it to.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM

"Room temperature" maybe sooner than later. Report today came out that he has cancer.

Aside from that I think his comments were blown out of proportion. I am not saying his comments were appropriate or a good way of thinking but I don't believe they warrant a life time ban. He didn't cheat, he didn't put players in danger, and he didn't intentionally ruin this team (as indicated in one article I read). Those are what you get banned for, not exercising your Constitutional right to freedom of speech.

I think the NBA went too far and they aren't done yet. There is a push going right now from other owners and the NBA to force a sale. Like mentioned above I would delay it as long as I possibly could.

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:40 AM

He didn't get banned for being a racist, he got banned for embarrassing the company and casting it money. He isn't being criminally prosecuted so no 1st Amend. applies. Guy's just an idiot, for making the comments and for thinking a young girl isn't motivated by money and revenge enough to tape everything he says.

Wherever somebody’s strugglin’ to be free,
Look in their eyes ma you’ll see me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 12:32 PM

NBA is just trying to save face, they knew for a long time how this guy is,but now that it became public, they have to do something . If the Clippers weren't in the playoffs ($$$$) , probably would not hear nearly as much.
Notice how none of the other owners are taking a stand against him publicly , they ALL have skeletons in their closets, they don't want brought out.
Sterling made Billions as a lawyer , I think he can beat an illegal wire tap.
Probably wind up suing the NBA
... gee, its a wonder why people don't like lawyers.

Carve your successes in stone ,
Leave your failures in the sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page