DeSean Jackson agrees to 3-year deal with Redskins - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

DeSean Jackson agrees to 3-year deal with Redskins

Jackson is still getting less than he would have if he was still an Eagle, so if the remark about wanting to renegotiate his contract was the reason the Eagles made a move he ended up with another team making around 3 million less than he had.
Be careful what you wish for…..especially if you’re doing your bidding on twitter

DeSean Jackson agrees to 3-year deal with Redskins

By Jeff McLane, The Philadelphia Inquirer
April 2, 2014

Less than five days after the Eagles released DeSean Jackson, the Pro Bowl wide receiver signed a three-year contact with the Redskins, according to an NFL source.

"It's going down!! Burgundy and Gold," Jackson posted on Twitter.

The agreement was reached late Tuesday night after a day of negotiations and days of speculation about where Jackson would land after the Eagles cut their top receiver. In the end, he chose the NFC East rival Redskins, although it was unclear how many other teams were seriously interested in the controversial 27-year-old.

Jackson will have two opportunities next season to make Chip Kelly and the Birds pay for their decision. The NFL will release the 2014 schedule later this month. The Redskins are expected to officially announce the signing and introduce Jackson at a news conference on Wednesday.

His signing comes almost exactly four years after the Eagles traded another one of their superstars - quarterback Donovan McNabb - to the Redskins. In 2002, the Eagles cut linebacker Jeremiah Trotter, who went to Washington. Neither decision came back to haunt the team.

Jackson visited Redskins headquarters on Tuesday but left without a contract. He went to a nearby hotel as negotiations carried into the evening.

Although there were reports late Monday that Jackson and the Redskins had agreed to terms and that his signing was a "done deal," an NFL source said that was not the case early Tuesday morning, indicating that talks had yet to begin.

Still, league insiders expected Jackson to sign with the Redskins, and he eventually did. There had been various reports of as many as nine teams expressing interest, but Washington was the only one that brought in Jackson for a visit.

The Raiders, Bills, and 49ers had been linked to Jackson, but each of the reports came with caveats about the level of interest in the receiver. The Raiders were said to be researching Jackson's background. The Bills were reportedly in contact but treading softly. And the 49ers were said to have extended an early invitation but weren't willing to break the bank.

The Browns showed interest Tuesday, according to one report, but there was no confirmation from other media outlets. There was even an ESPN report on Monday that "two mystery teams" were deep in negotiations for Jackson.

But it was difficult to ascertain if there was genuine interest from other teams.

The details of the contract were unknown late Tuesday. Jackson had been due to receive $10.5 million if the Eagles had kept him.

The Redskins had roughly $6.3 million in salary-cap space for 2014, but Jackson can reach a higher per-year number depending upon bonuses and how the money is spread out.

Jackson went to breakfast with Redskins officials Tuesday and then spent three hours at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Va., where he underwent a physical. He returned to a nearby hotel as negotiations between his agent, Joel Segal, and the team began, according to reports.

The night before, Jackson went to dinner with coach Jay Gruden, among others, and went out with Redskins players. A picture of him with receiver Pierre Garcon and cornerback DeAngelo Hall was posted on Twitter. In the picture, Jackson is pointing his forefinger like Garcon.

Much has been made of hand signals Jackson made in Instagram photos he posted of himself and made toward Hall last season, and whether they were a reference to the Los Angeles-based Crips gang. An NJ.com report last week described his connections with reputed gang members.

Jackson denied ever being part of a gang after the Eagles released him following the posting of the story. Still, teams appeared to shy away from him.

The Redskins didn't back off and stole a top talent from one of their divisional rivals. Now we'll see who made the right call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 PM

Today is Matchman's birthday!
Re: DeSean Jackson agrees to 3-year deal with Redskins

Eagles didn't want him around if he wasn't happy with
his current deal. The last time he wasn't happy with his money, he didn't play hard.
Prediction - He's going to go all out now to prove the
Eagles made a mistake , get hammered by some safety
and be out in less than 5 games.

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 12:11 AM
The Man

dont let the locker room door hit ya on the way out!

ive complain to family about his lousy attitude, 1/2 hearted effort.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/raiders/so...-49ers-raiders

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agree with match, I can't believe he has stayed healthy all these years, he's so small, seems like one decent hit could end him. He may come back to burn us, but it will be worth it getting rid of one of the last "me, me, me" guys that was left. Everyone else seems to just want to win games, and care less about individual stats.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

He never went across the middle of the field...that's how he stayed healthy.

vegetarian:
ancient tribal slang for the village idiot who cant hunt or fish.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 03:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When he did this is what happened!

Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson and Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson each had to be helped from the field Sunday, after Robinson delivered a brutal hit to Jackson as he attempted to catch a Kevin Kolb pass over the middle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 AM
The Man

how long until we hear more about the gang affiliation? Saw Jjack on ESPN denying it........of course.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanchestercounty
He never went across the middle of the field...that's how he stayed healthy.

He was never really that type of player, he was a vertical receiver that used his speed to stretch the field and like big28 said he got hurt when he did. Pretty sure he had another incident where he got hurt like that. With that being said I'm not to disappointed he is gone. Although they will miss his talents and most likely will use a draft pick to replace him instead of being able to focus on defense, he was a me over team guy and didn't have the best work ethic. Missed meetings, complain on sideline type of stuff. His talents will be missed on the field but not his attitude in the locker room.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 AM
The Man

"he was a me over team guy and didn't have the best work ethic. Missed meetings, complain on sideline type of stuff.
"
for sure...plus the off the field allegations.
Funny how some of the bozos on espn have been saying all receivers have baggage and this should be expected. Yet, on other topics they talk about doing "the right thing". Eagles did the right thing. They might be worse off with performance but it was the right move.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 03:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Agree with both of you Fuda44 and BOOTOXEN. Hope the other receivers will step up and wash the controversy away. FLY EAGLES FLY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page