Sanders to the Bronco's - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Sanders to the Bronco's

Colonel Sanders signed with the Broncs and it seems some are not happy about how it went down....

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Emmanuel Sanders' agent blasted for negotiating tactics in signing with Broncos </span>

By Eric Edholm

Free-agent wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders signed with the Denver Broncos, and a few teams are livid about the way his agent handled his courtship.

According to NFL.com, several teams believe agent Steve Weinberg pulled a few shady moves along the recruiting trail before going to Denver and they are not happy about it. One team official said Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

First, the Kansas City Chiefs believed Sanders was signing with them, giving the team a verbal agreement on a deal. Then, Weinberg was accused of offering his client up to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, using the Chiefs' deal as leverage.

Later in the night, Weinberg agreed in principle with the Broncos. He also blew off a meeting with the San Francisco 49ers in the process.

Several reports suggested that the Broncos had no idea Weinberg had verbally agreed to another deal previously, but Denver still intended to sign Sanders to a three-year deal pending passing a physical. The signing became official Sunday.

Another NFL official told NFL.com, "This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations. Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

It almost was previously. Weinberg was recently reinstated by the NFL Players Association, which had barred and decertified him back in 2003 because Weinberg reportedly had diverted assets to an offshore account illegally during a dispute with a former partner of his. Weinberg in turn sued the NFLPA, claiming it illegally stripped him of certification for eight years, also seeking lost income.

Weinberg went from more than 40 clients when he was decertified to three who are currently in the NFL. He was recently reinstated, and Shutdown Corner texted four agents Sunday morning — all of whom said they were surprised that Weinberg was recertified after losing his credentials previously.

Sanders, a restriced free agent a year ago, re-signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers after the New England Patriots had signed him to an offer sheet in 2013. Sanders caught 67 passes for 760 yards and six touchdowns last season, his best in the NFL. Over his first four seasons, all with the Steelers, he caught 161 passes for 2,030 yards and 11 touchdowns.

The Broncos lost Eric Decker to the New York Jets in free agency and had been looking for a third receiver. Sanders, who is smaller and quicker than Decker, can fill that role for Peyton Manning in a different fashion than Decker did once the Sanders signing becomes official.

Technically what Weinberg did in negotiating a contract for Sanders was not illegal by NFL rules, as they had not signed a deal yet. But he broke several unwritten rules, and team officials are crying major foul.

"When a man gives you his words and pulls out," one executive told NFL.com, "then gives another team your word and pulls out, then gives another team his word ... Not proper."

</span>

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Sanders to the Bronco's

Let me make sure I get this straight....

A league that idolizes accused murderers, accused rapists, and men that kill entire families while driving dui, is upset because somebody didn't keep their "word" during negotiations. That is laughable.

Holy Cheese and Crackers!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 08:41 PM
The Man

I like his chicken.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 10:03 PM

I don't think the NFL itself cares a bit, but the general managers and personnel people are the ones who might be upset.

There are the written rules, and the unwritten rules. I imagine there is an understanding that when you reach a handshake deal with a team, you stop actively shopping the client or trying to leverage the handshake for a better deal elsewhere. I imagine all the legal mumbo-jumbo in any standard contract takes a while to get in order, so you shake on the deal to seal it and paperwork to follow.

Technically nothing illegal was done. But in the long run, teams will just stop dealing with this particular agent, as apparently he's been in some shady stuff before and obviously doesn't have a stable of All-Pro clients.

It's a business, and business has no feelings. It's cold and selfish. A player should try to get the best possible deal. But, I imagine there is a "way it works", like any other system (youth sports and college athletic scholarships to name another), and the guys/gals who violate the good ol' boy network won't last.

At least Denver can enjoy him catching a six-yard pass on third and four and celebrating like he just landed on the moon.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 11:09 PM
The Man

I won't miss him. Too inconsistent and too smsll. The more I think about it, I would really like the Steelers to take a tall reciever with the first pick in the draft. Ben is nearing the end of his career, give him as many weapons as possible.
After that we need a DE, ILB, corner, and anythng along the O line except center.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 01:06 AM

With that offense he will probably have a pretty good year
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 02:16 AM

Probably.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125
I won't miss him. Too inconsistent and too smsll. The more I think about it, I would really like the Steelers to take a tall reciever with the first pick in the draft. Ben is nearing the end of his career, give him as many weapons as possible.
After that we need a DE, ILB, corner, and anythng along the O line except center.
Mike Evans, Texas A & M. Evans is big, fast for his size and has good hands. (I do hope Derek Moye keeps a job, as far as big targets go.) Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State, would be a big-target, second round option.

In the first round I really look for them to go either with that Mike Evans OR C.J. Mosley- ILB Alabama OR Darqueze Dennard- CB MI State OR Eric Ebron- TE North Carolina. Depending on who's still available and what they feel their biggest need is.

Signing NT Cam Thomas in FE from the Chargers may move McClendon from NT. (I'm sure this move bummed out Aaron Donald- DT Pitt, ranked #2 in the draft at DT.) OR they may snag Carrington in FE from the Bills. I don't see Keisel returning unless he takes a cut like ike did and plans to share starts/downs.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:27 AM

Looks like Denver is trying to build another 'dream team.' How does that usually work out?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 AM

Not very well...

Oh, & BTW, Happy Birthday...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page