The Official 2014 Pirates Thread - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

The Official 2014 Pirates Thread

Looking over the meassage boards I am seeing threads here and there about the Pirates. I figure because of all the threads and the fact that Spring Training has begun it was time for me to start the Official 2014 Pirates Thread.

This thread is for discussing day to day Bucco talk; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

We make predictions before the season starts, we discuss players perfomance, and we root for our Buccos.

I am looking forward to another great year.....of banter here on HPA!

...but those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. -Isaiah 40:31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:18 PM

Re: The Official 2014 Pirates Thread

From Belle Vernon to Dubois probably tripled your drive to PNC, no ?

2A-Wash. Co.
post #3 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Nah.....only doubled it!

That is one thing i miss about living near and working in the city, I could go to games 7 days a week if I wanted.

Going to a game form here takes planning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 03:26 PM

I'm starting to go through withdrawal symptoms right now! March 31st can't come soon enough for me.

On the positive side of things, we have quite a few of our key position players returning for 2014 (Pedro, Marte, Cutch, Walker, and Martin)

The first base/right field situation still concerns me a bit at the moment. I have a little more faith in the Sanchez/Lambo platoon at first than I do in the Tabata/Snyder platoon in right. Regardless, I'm a little disappointed that the Bucs didn't make any real efforts to improve these two positions in the off-season.

Probably more concerning to me is how the rotation will hold up with the loss of AJ. I will say that at age 37, I don't think he was worth the $16 million he got in Philly to the Bucs, but his loss will certainly hurt the rotation IMO. I would have liked to see the Bucs go after a viable starter in the off season to replace AJ. Volquez was not the answer. He has had some serious struggles as of late and posted one of the worst ERAs in MLB for SD last year, which is considered a very pitcher friendly park. Perhaps the Bucs are really counting on Tailon coming up in June?
post #5 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM

I saw my first Pirates game in Forbes Field in 1966 in the lower level on the third base side. They were playing the Cards and it rained. Watching them cover and uncover the field was amazing to this then 17 year old. My first Steelers game was also in Forbes but in 1955. I saw the Bucs play in the '60s, '70s, '80s and '90s, but I have never been to PNC park. I saw some awesome baseball over the years. I think I might have to make the drive out to see them again.

G-Daddy
Youth and enthusiasm will always be overcome by age and treachery.
post #6 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox_Hunter
Regardless, I'm a little disappointed that the Bucs didn't make any real efforts to improve these two positions in the off-season.
It was reported that they approached Josh Johnson with an $8M-1yr deal but he went to the Padres because it is more pitcher friendly. It was also reported that they offered James Loney almost exactly what he re-signed in Tampa for. Think about it, money is the same and you don't have to move your family or leave a team you are already familiar with. Additionally they did offer AJ $12M but he wasn't interested.

I do think they made a mistake not offering AJ the qualifing offer. Face it, it was probably too much but you have a veteran leader who can pitch 200 innings and yea you're overpaying him a little but it was worth it. Now on the other hand they save that money and can use it for other things, Huntington better put it to good use at mid-season or he may be out.

G-Daddy do yourself a HUGE favor and get to PNC Park for some games. I haven't been to too many parks but I can't believe you'll find one much better than PNC.

post #7 of 949 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 AM

Absobucnlutely! 'Ol Bubblegum sure has a lingo all of his own. My opinion is that the Bucco's are going to be in decent shape this year IF they get some starting pitching help by mid-season. I think Wandy will be on the DL by May, I hope I am wrong. Listening to some of the guys on MLB, they say that a pitcher can overcome shoulder soreness without surgery but soreness in the elbow or forearm without surgery is a whole other story. Tallion will mostly be up by July.

The way that Bubblegum and Huntington are talking Polanco will be up by summer, so right field shouldn't be an issue. Sanchez shed some weight over the winter so maybe that'll help him produce a little more. A lot of If's but it doesn't matter, baseball is almost here and the Bucco's will have another winning season!

GDaddy, please do yourself a favor and get to PNC to see at least one game because once you do, it will not be your last. Although I think that prices on tickets and food might have changed a wee bit since Forbes Field days but you won't regret it. I'm partial to certain seats but honestly there isn't a bad seat in the joint. Friday night free t-shirt night and in the summer, it can't be beat.

Raise it!

" Put that smell down. Won't come around without that smell."
post #8 of 949 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuttnRun
Sanchez shed some weight over the winter so maybe that'll help him produce a little more
Funny story, 2 years ago, we went to wrigley in september to watch the bucs play. first time ever there, it was awesome. we got there right when the gates opened and watched all the warmups. My wife, who played sports all her life, including college, but really doesnt care to follow professional sports. Gaby Sanchez walked by, who was in his dumpier state, and she looked at me and said "Is that guy a player? He's huge" he did look enormous.i did read where he took 10 days off after the season and has been working out ever since.
I think they will be fine once all the pieces start to fall into place. But i am also disappointed they didnt make any attempt to make a splash. i am not one for 35 yr old free agents, but to try and trade and snag someone. Dustin Ackley for Seattle comes to mind. former batting leader in college, hasnt really carried it to the majors seattle seems to have an abundance of 1B/OF and Cano roaming 2B now. they would have to give up alittle but try to make a baseball deal like that. That said, i'm really excited again, hopefully they can carry some of the momentum from last season, into this year.

"I'm going to catch it in the coat... and smack it with the hammer" - Chevy Chase
post #9 of 949 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM
The Man

I hope your right but I have my doubts.
post #10 of 949 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I hope your right but I have my doubts.
My God man, are you really a fan of the Bucco's? You haven't said one positive thing on any of the Pirate threads. There were a lot of doubters last year and they proved you ALL wrong. Come on man have some faith.

" Put that smell down. Won't come around without that smell."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page