Best Gun for Sporting Clays - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Best Gun for Sporting Clays

Shot sporting clays as a guest several times and used the guns provided. Thinking of giving it a try and would appreciate any suggestions on the proper type of shotgun to use for this sport. I remenber seeing quite a few over/unders - would that because they offer two chokes? I have a camoed pump that I use for turkey but would like to buy something that looks respectable on the range. Appreciate any help and comments -

Start everyday off with a smile and get it over with -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Best Gun for Sporting Clays

Find one that fit and you like. I have o/u and a semi.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 01:08 AM

2 chokes are nice, also not picking up shells with a O/U, but usually a more expensive gun than a semi. Semi beats you up less firing many rounds. What's your budget? Clays gun only or also used for hunting? Look at a used browning or beretta O/U with a 28-32 inch barrel, this way you can sell it later if you decide you need/want something different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM

O/U is probably the best choice, unless you plan on ever shooting 3 bird shoots. I have several, all Beretta's
They fit me the best, right from factory.
The 686 white onix is their entry level O/U
The 390 or 391 for the semi.
Find a shop that carries a large selection of Beretta, Browning, etc and see how they fit.
Go from there, most of the time when you pick it up, you will know its the one for you

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All good advice, as every shooter has their own preference as to shotgun brands and action. I don't like semi's because they are too busy for me. I shot them for years for sporting until I got my first O/U, then I didn't shoot a semi for sporting since. Now I love the SxS and don't shoot the O/U hardly ever anymore. I would advise not using a pump gun. If that's all you can afford then by all means, use it. The pump is made for hunting and is too light for sporting. It will eventually beat you up by the amount of rounds that are shot. If you do use a pump, shoot 2 3/4 dram or less and use 1 oz or less of shot. Preferably 7/8 or 3/4, then the gun will be manageable for longer sessions. Avoid field loads and heavy dove/quail loads. They are cheaper than target shells, but will punish you through that pump. As for choke tubes, they're overrated. If you learn to shoot correctly choke choice won't matter. I shoot LM/LM in my Zoli. My SxS's are all fixed chokes and usually average LM through F configurations. Enjoy!!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had the same dilemma.

I used a Rem 870 and shot for a month or two.
Wanted to buy a shotgun just for the clays.
Got to know some of the guys in the club, they let me try out their guns.
Settled on a beretta AL390 Gold Sporting over 10yrs ago and am real happy with it.

I don't shoot as much as I used to maybe 2x a month, but my 11yr old is breaking in the 20's with his 20ga 870 which gets me wanting to go more often.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

You have gotten some good advice. No pumps because they slow down the second shot. No semi auto's if your too out of shape to pick up shells. Then again if you need exercise, get a semi.
Over under or side by side??? Can't you just twist the gun and have both?
The 11 y/o that is shooting 20's with a 870 will teach you that youth have GREAT eyes and SPEED. Do not bet against them!
To many individual decisions to make ? That is why most shooters have more than one gun. Just make sure whatever you buy is the Best. No Stoegers,New Charles Daley's, Russian Remington's, etc.. Good guns Browning, Beretta, Winchesters, etc. etc.. With interchangeable chokes will hold up and hold their value if you want to trade or sell to get the next one.
When shooting for fun and hunting skill you can use everything. I use old Side by sides with tight and tighter chokes to shoot skeet with and love it... HAVE FUN !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page