Reloading Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Reloading Question

Guys Im just getting into shooting trap and I love it!
I have a lee load all 2 12 gauge shotshell press. Where can I get reasonably cheap components to reload 2 3/4" 7 1/2-9 trap shells? Any tips or tricks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Reloading Question

Well...what hulls are you using? You will hafta buy wads that fit your hull. Being new to trap shooting im assuming your shooting from the 16 yard line. Im gonna be honest with you here, I enjoy reloading but with the current price of components plus your time you may as well go buy a case of rios from pm supply. I use the 3 dram equiv with 1 ⅛ of 8 shot. You get a 10 box case for about $60 and from the 16 there is no difference between them and federal gold metals or any of the other higher priced shells. If you still wanna reload you can pm me and ill help you to the best of my ability.

If you are not on a government watchlist by now you should be ashamed of yourself
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Part of the Community

Scratch that 1&8538 my phone put it there and for some reason i cant edit it. Its supposed to say 1 1/8 ounce of 8 shot

If you are not on a government watchlist by now you should be ashamed of yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearfield12
Where can I get reasonably cheap components to reload 2 3/4" 7 1/2-9 trap shells? Any tips or tricks?
Sadly, as we all know, the days of "reasonably priced" are gone.

However, there are a few corners you can cut without affecting anything.

First is wads. Skip the Win or Rem brands. I shoot Claybusters at about half the cost. There are others as well. Just look for "AA clones" and you'll find replacements for the big name brands.

Another, though harder, place is in shot. That's really the killer right now. I hesitate to shoot reclaimed shot. I could've just bought tons (literally) of it, but passed. Some is quite good, others not so much, and some is downright terrible. I'm not risking my bores to something like that. However, there are still a handful of guys that will take reclaimed shot, melt it down, and remanufacture fresh shot out of it. Cheaper than the big name bagged stuff, but price and quality vary, along with the trouble of finding a small operation that still does it.

An obvious area is hulls. You can go to your local club and likely scrounge all the hulls you need for free. Look for Win AA, Rem STS, or Rem Gun Club hulls. Skip the rest. Those mentioned are the universal hulls, that everybody makes components (wads) for, and that you can find load data everywhere.

Compare powders. A few recent entries in the powder field are designed to offer more loads per dollar. Use those and you'll stretch your money as well.

I still reload. Yes, it's not nearly as cost effective as it once was, but it IS still cheaper, and for a better quality shell. I use rainy evenings, or bitter cold winter days, to just load up hundreds at a time. It doesn't take long to put a season's worth on the shelf, in time that wasn't otherwise useful.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Geez, anyone who wants hulls can come to our range and pick up all you can take!!! The more the merrier, otherwise they go to the scrap yard for $$. www.rockmountainclays.com

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
Part of the Community

Gotta watch which hulls your reloading tho...You don't wanna reload a two piece hull

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

thanks everyone...how can I tell if a hull is 2 piece?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maul
Well...what hulls are you using? You will hafta buy wads that fit your hull. Being new to trap shooting im assuming your shooting from the 16 yard line. Im gonna be honest with you here, I enjoy reloading but with the current price of components plus your time you may as well go buy a case of rios from pm supply. I use the 3 dram equiv with 1 ⅛ of 8 shot. You get a 10 box case for about $60 and from the 16 there is no difference between them and federal gold metals or any of the other higher priced shells. If you still wanna reload you can pm me and ill help you to the best of my ability.
What is PM Supply?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Part of the Community

Two peice hulls such as rio's, estates and a few others shouldn't be reloaded. One piece such as federal gold metals, AA's and nitros are fine. There are others that can and others that can't these just seem to be the most popular. PM supply is in ebensburg, look them up online and call ahead of time if you are gonna go. Seems they can't keep to many things on the shelves these days. Also, if you are gonna reload watch what primers you buy. European Hulls have a slightly bigger primer so you hafta use a European primer to reload them.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

"One piece such as federal gold metals, AA's and nitros are fine."

How many times can a shell like these be reloaded safely?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page